The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chasm_City_cover_%28Amazon%29.jpg

Just finished Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore. Being pretty vague on the history I felt like I missed a lot of name drops and you know the ending from reading the back cover but it's a good, easy read and a great opening paragraph;

Although I am writing this in the year 1877, I was not born until 1921. Neither the dates nor the tenses are error - let me explain:

Done with a mini sci-fi binge I'm gonna give The Worm Oroborus another try.

Through recommendation I am reading the book thats supposed to be the original scroll of On The Road by Kerouac. Very different from the edited version published 6 six years later.

The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti.

Not that I necessarily subscribe to all, or any, of its ideas or themes, but I do find it quite interesting reading such different philosophical viewpoints. Especially of such a pessimistic bent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have just started reading the Len Beadell series of books that he wrote. An amazing man . Made the roads through the centre of Australia, such as the Gunbarrel Highway etc . Heard him on a tape and so funny, modest and clever :)

Used to love John Marsden when I was younger, been re reading some of his books (Checkers, Letters From the Inside etc)- came across the book "Dear Miffy" and finished that the other day.

Has anyone read this?? Geeze Marsden's books are one giant mind **** full of a lot of pretty depressing topics. Still loved it tho.

I've read good things about this book.

Haven't been able to make inroads into it: 600pp of stream of consciousness. Needs concentration. I've deferred it for months now, but every time I pick it up and read the first page, I'm in love.

Have read a few by Thorpe (really liked Ulverton). He's a gifted writer, but with the exception of Ulverton, his novels haven't quite come together -- for me anyway. Have been left with the feeling that the result is less than the sum of its parts.

Haven't been able to make inroads into it: 600pp of stream of consciousness. Needs concentration. I've deferred it for months now, but every time I pick it up and read the first page, I'm in love.

Have read a few by Thorpe (really liked Ulverton). He's a gifted writer, but with the exception of Ulverton, his novels haven't quite come together -- for me anyway. Have been left with the feeling that the result is less than the sum of its parts.
'Ulverton' is another I haven't read but want too, his first novel I think.

'Still' I would recommend as admittedly the only Thorpe book I've read.

Started Gravity's Rainbow. Until recently, I knew nothing about Pynchon except that he wears a paper bag donning a ? over his head for public appearances, but now I know he is also the keeper of every banana recipe ever made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back