Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the draft so close and the combine just finished?
Who do you think Fremantle will draft
Cheers Chris.

It'll certainly be interesting, and getting knocked out in straight sets in the finals does make the draft more exciting for a Dockers fan. It possibly brings us into contention for one of the top KPP prospects. Unfortunately, we might also just miss out. Hugh Goddard is the most likely to be available, but I'm not sure he is the best fit for Fremantle and I'd probably pass on him. We have Matthew Taberner as that mobile tall forward and Alex Pearce as the mobile tall defender. Also, Goddard projects best as a defender for me and in our system we don't really need to be spending such early picks on defenders. I'd back Ross to get the most out of some lesser known players. But that's just me. It is hard to pass on talent.

Which basically means midfield for our first pick. For the past few months (assuming the likes of Weller and Pickett are gone) I've wanted Jordan DeGoey. He looks the part of a Fremantle midfielder, with both the size and versatility. Tom Lamb, Jackson Nelson and Kyle Langford are others I could see us as being interested in.

Second round, I can see us looking at the likes of tall forward Mitch McGovern as well as midfielders Corey Ellis, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jarrod Garlett and Clem Smith. I also wouldn't discount us putting in bids for Jeremy Finlayson and Harris Andrews, they'd both fit in well but GWS and the Lions will match the bid anyway. Brenden Abbott in maybe the third round too. With absolutely no inside word or anything, Matthew Hanson fits our recruiting profile and may be a late selection - he's Tasmanian, he's 19 years old and a versatile midfielder.

And as I said before, I would look at some of the lesser hyped tall defenders. Keenan Ramsey offers a nice mix of attack and defense, while Christian Buykx-Smith, Oscar McDonald and Daniel Nielson are closer to your Zac Dawson type defenders.

Dockers shouldn't be drafting a KPP based on the current coaches game plan and system. Quite possibly they will not get a game during Lyon ' s current contract.

It'll certainly be interesting, and getting knocked out in straight sets in the finals does make the draft more exciting for a Dockers fan. It possibly brings us into contention for one of the top KPP prospects. Unfortunately, we might also just miss out. Hugh Goddard is the most likely to be available, but I'm not sure he is the best fit for Fremantle and I'd probably pass on him. We have Matthew Taberner as that mobile tall forward and Alex Pearce as the mobile tall defender. Also, Goddard projects best as a defender for me and in our system we don't really need to be spending such early picks on defenders. I'd back Ross to get the most out of some lesser known players. But that's just me. It is hard to pass on talent.

Which basically means midfield for our first pick. For the past few months (assuming the likes of Weller and Pickett are gone) I've wanted Jordan DeGoey. He looks the part of a Fremantle midfielder, with both the size and versatility. Tom Lamb, Jackson Nelson and Kyle Langford are others I could see us as being interested in.

Second round, I can see us looking at the likes of tall forward Mitch McGovern as well as midfielders Corey Ellis, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jarrod Garlett and Clem Smith. I also wouldn't discount us putting in bids for Jeremy Finlayson and Harris Andrews, they'd both fit in well but GWS and the Lions will match the bid anyway. Brenden Abbott in maybe the third round too. With absolutely no inside word or anything, Matthew Hanson fits our recruiting profile and may be a late selection - he's Tasmanian, he's 19 years old and a versatile midfielder.

And as I said before, I would look at some of the lesser hyped tall defenders. Keenan Ramsey offers a nice mix of attack and defense, while Christian Buykx-Smith, Oscar McDonald and Daniel Nielson are closer to your Zac Dawson type defenders.
Cheers Chris!
Any chance we might be interested in cockatoo for a bit of speed?

Does Melbourne getting pick 3 as a result of James Frawley leaving change anything as far as prospects are concerned Chris25?

With Melbourne getting Stretch in the third round, I would seriously consider offering the Saints #22 in order to move up from #2 to #1. That way they could get Petracca and potentially Brayshaw too (or a KPP). Roos wants size in his midfield, and he could get it right there.

With Melbourne getting Stretch in the third round, I would seriously consider offering the Saints #22 in order to move up from #2 to #1. That way they could get Petracca and potentially Brayshaw too (or a KPP). Roos wants size in his midfield, and he could get it right there.

As in, what does this do to your phantom draft on the first page?

Apart from having to change all the numbers?

Yes and maybe who you think each club may target after today's compensation pick.

Like, if the Doggies were interested in Patrick McCartin, he'd go pick 6 which means someone has to slot in around Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright and Lever.

Maybe Laverde.

Cheers Chris!
Any chance we might be interested in cockatoo for a bit of speed?

Maybe. I think a lot will depend on what happens with Josh Simpson. Personally, there'd be no question if I was in charge. He'd be getting another year. Clem Smith is probably the one we have our eye on in the second round if it's speed we're after though.

Yes and maybe who you think each club may target after today's compensation pick.

Like, if the Doggies were interested in Patrick McCartin, he'd go pick 6 which means someone has to slot in around Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright and Lever.

Maybe Laverde.

I'd say there is zero chance of the draft order remaining like it is, so it's hard to say exactly what will change. Obviously Collingwood are likely to end up with #5 for Beams, and teams will no doubt be looking to trade up and down. And what if Melbourne trade for an experienced KPD? Whereas before maybe they'd have been looking at Lever, maybe they go for a KPF instead now. Very quickly, I'd go with...

1. St Kilda - Christian Petracca
2. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
3. Melbourne - Patrick McCartin
4. GWS - Jake Lever
5. Brisbane - Peter Wright
6. Western Bulldogs - Lachie Weller

But as I said before, I'd see if the Saints were interested in trading with Melbourne. Melbourne get Petracca, the Saints get their full forward in McCartin. And when Collingwood get #5, I'd imagine they'll go midfield so a tall does drop to the Bulldogs after all.

Maybe. I think a lot will depend on what happens with Josh Simpson. Personally, there'd be no question if I was in charge. He'd be getting another year. Clem Smith is probably the one we have our eye on in the second round if it's speed we're after though.

I'd say there is zero chance of the draft order remaining like it is, so it's hard to say exactly what will change. Obviously Collingwood are likely to end up with #5 for Beams, and teams will no doubt be looking to trade up and down. And what if Melbourne trade for an experienced KPD? Whereas before maybe they'd have been looking at Lever, maybe they go for a KPF instead now. Very quickly, I'd go with...

4. GWS - Jake Lever

But as I said before, I'd see if the Saints were interested in trading with Melbourne. Melbourne get Petracca, the Saints get their full forward in McCartin. And when Collingwood get #5, I'd imagine they'll go midfield so a tall does drop to the Bulldogs after all.

Especially if Saints get O'Rourke, do they need another mid when the tall forward is such an important position for them post Riewoldt era?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if Simpson remains on the list or not will only have a marginal impact on our recruitment. If he remains he would be a long way off being a certainty to survive as an afl player.

Chris what South boys do you think will be drafted out of Caleb daniel , Keegan brooksby, Brett eddy ,tom fields and Adam guiden ?

4. GWS - Jake Lever

Why do you think we will darft a midfielder given our poor young full forward stock (Moore only). We've drafted 4 midfielders with our five first rounders in the past 2 years and we also gave up another first round pick for adams. I think we have enough midfield talent going forwards, if we get pick 5, and wright is available, I don't see any chance of us skipping him unless we really don't rate him

Chris - Where is Josh Glenn's best position?

Could he play on the quick and nimble small forwards?

I'm sure he could do it, it's just not his best position. He's similar to the likes of Nick Malceski or a Lindsay Gilbee. A very good user off half back who can push up into the midfield and win his own ball, but not typically the player you'd be giving a full shut down role to. The really quick smalls would get away from him, and I just think he'd be wasted. If you're picking Glenn, you're picking him to play early and to have the ball in his hands.

Chris what South boys do you think will be drafted out of Caleb daniel , Keegan brooksby, Brett eddy ,tom fields and Adam guiden ?

Not the best group for South Adelaide, and unfortunately that's a pretty common trend lately. Caleb Daniel is the obvious one, but even he isn't a certainty. I'd take him in the National Draft no question, but we'll have to wait and see. Otherwise, it's a bit disappointing. I was hopeful that Ben Heaslip would have a big year, but he just didn't come on as I had hoped and others went past him at the Championships. And Darcy Hourigan has struggled with injury.

Of those you mentioned, maybe Keegan Brooksby is a slight chance as a rookie. But he doesn't have the ideal size for a mature aged ruckman, and Baulderstone is definitely ahead of him as the #1 mature aged ruck. I personally wouldn't draft Brett Eddy, just dont think he has a lot more to offer than being a good state level player.

Adam Gulden is probably the best chance as a mature aged rookie. Not many outside of SA seem to be aware of him, but he put together a really solid year after coming across from NSW. Is the ideal size for a midfielder in the AFL, maybe lacking a touch on the athletics side of things though. Would be a good ready made insurance policy though.

Hi Chris, your latest draft sees a fair few popular draftees such as Miller, Cunico, Capiron, Lonie, Hammelmann, Cripps, Anderson not on the board. You've instead picked a few of the depth players from outside non-traditional states (Jackson, Howard, Uebergang, Hodgson, Hanson) and a few dark horses (McGovern, Bennett, Panos).

Could you give some commentary to these selections (and omissions)?

Chris, thanks for your work.

Can you tell more about Jermaine Miller-Lewis and Bailey Dale? Are they rookie draft material?

I considered Bailey Dale when I was putting together my fourth round, and he was pretty unlucky as I could just as easily snuck him into the third round. I don't see him going particularly early, but I do see him as being a good value pickup. I'm curious as to why the draft watchers who supposedly see the TAC Cup every week don't think he's even worth a mention. He's a skinny kid who has been very consistent in his first season of TAC Cup football, and not only that but has had some big games too. I'd probably compare him to something along the lines of Kayne Turner from the Kangaroos. Only skinny, but works hard and can have an impact with few touches. And from the games I've seen of Dale, his skills are well and truly above average for the TAC Cup. Considering some of the other names that pop up regularly in phantom drafts, his lack of interest is interesting. Maybe they're saving him for the BigFooty Phantom Draft...

Jermaine Miller-Lewis is the classic rookie list project. As talented as he is, how high can you pick someone who hasn't played all season? And it's not like he has the performances on the board like Lever, Miller-Lewis is largely just potential. Very low risk as a rookie, for possibly high rewards.

Since the combine, anyone really bolting up your rankings Chris?

Cockatoo seems to be on everyone's lips. Any others? sliders even?

Nakia Cockatoo is the obvious one. But with him it's not a case of super combine results forcing him up the order, its more just him finally being back and competing - and being rated around where he was at the start of the year, before his injuries. Jack Steele was the other one who really jumped up for me. I updated a few days prior to the Academy bidding, and had a clear first round grade on him. So it was good to see the clubs agreeing.

Otherwise, I've become more settled on which midfielders I rate as the best of the crop. And as I've said all year, Lachie Weller is the guy - behind Petracca. Angus Brayshaw will get picked first because he has the size, but Weller is worthy of a top 5 pick. And Jordan DeGoey is the other one I'm high on recently. I'm also liking some of the later round key defenders in Christian Buykx-Smith and Daniel Nielson.

For me, Alex Neal-Bullen slid a little as I was disappointed with his testing results. And obviously I dropped Matthew Hammelmann out of my draft a few days before the Academy bidding too. But I find I'm not really changing my order too much this year, with the depth not being as good as it has been in previous years.

Hi Chris, your latest draft sees a fair few popular draftees such as Miller, Cunico, Capiron, Lonie, Hammelmann, Cripps, Anderson not on the board. You've instead picked a few of the depth players from outside non-traditional states (Jackson, Howard, Uebergang, Hodgson, Hanson) and a few dark horses (McGovern, Bennett, Panos).

Could you give some commentary to these selections (and omissions)?

Suppose with the omissions, I just don't really rate them that highly.

Jack Cripps is just someone I haven't been able to get behind. As a 196cm athlete, he certainly has promise. But he is raw and I don't see him ever developing the physicality needed to dominate as a tall forward. Matthew Taberner at Fremantle is a similar type player, and as well as he played this year, he was taken as a 19 year old rookie. There's just no way I'd be spending a top 50 pick on Cripps. And overall, Matthew Hammelmann just hasn't impressed me much this year. I had high hopes coming into the season, but his form up in Queensland was not as good as his U18 Championships performances. I tend to prefer his Queensland teammates in Nick Jackson and Matthew Uebergang. I don't think Jackson will get drafted, but I just like him as a real solid tall defender - reminds me a bit of Matt Sully from the VFL or Alex Silvagni. But Uebergang I think just ticks more boxes as a tall forward at AFL level. He has better hands, better skills and he has the extra speed. His extra versatility makes up for the couple of inches that Hammelmann has over him.

Otherwise, the rest just seem like decent rookie picks to me. Give me Cory Gregson over Touk Miller or Jack Lonie any day.

One player I think is a bit underrated is Brydon Hodgson. Not saying he is definitely going to be picked, but as I said before I don't rate the depth of this draft very highly and he is a better player than some of the names I've been seeing pop up. To me he just looks like a really good utility, he can play off a flank at either end or go into the middle and win his own ball. I like players who improve as the season goes on, and Hodgson has done just that. The other Division 2 player you mentioned there was Matthew Hanson from Tasmania. I've only seen limited footage of Hanson this year, but he looked a cut above the competition. Only 19 but is an excellent size for a midfielder, and has the game to match. Probably a rookie shot, but would be talked about more if he were Victorian.

And personally, I wouldn't consider Mitch McGovern a dark horse. I think he should be in all the drafts. Sam Bennett though, well he is a dark horse. He was a favourite of mine last year but was overlooked, hopefully this is his year.

in FA / trade weeks, the doggies have scored themselves 5 selections in a 19 pick range (27, 28, 39, 45, 46) in the ND and secured their messiah monster forward in boyd.

firstly, how deep does the pool run this year in general? do these picks still hold the possibility of netting reasonable talent?

second, our mob needs pace, good decision makers and ball use baaaadly (higgins, cooney, tutt, griffen all gone - cupboard is bare) - is the draft likely tobe deep enough for these types to be available (and talented enough to provide players that can contribute at least to 'role-playing level, ala tutt)? any in particular that could contribute to an extent next year? josh glenn?

appreciate your efforts and insight

in FA / trade weeks, the doggies have scored themselves 5 selections in a 19 pick range (27, 28, 39, 45, 46) in the ND and secured their messiah monster forward in boyd.

firstly, how deep does the pool run this year in general? do these picks still hold the possibility of netting reasonable talent?

second, our mob needs pace, good decision makers and ball use baaaadly (higgins, cooney, tutt, griffen all gone - cupboard is bare) - is the draft likely tobe deep enough for these types to be available (and talented enough to provide players that can contribute at least to 'role-playing level, ala tutt)? any in particular that could contribute to an extent next year? josh glenn?

appreciate your efforts and insight

I'm not a huge fan of this draft pool. Look to be plenty of solid B grade players, but maybe lacking a touch of that top end talent. But the Bulldogs are reasonably well placed, as they should be able to draft for needs in the second and third round. And with a fairly talented young midfield, getting some role players in wont necessarily be a bad thing.

With 27 and 28, it would probably be a case of who is still available. Either take the best available slider regardless of position, or the best available outside midfielder. At a guess, Nakia Cockatoo or particularly Jarrod Garlett would be high on your list. Otherwise, the likes of Oleg Markov and Connor Menadue for some of those picks could be available. Damien Cavka, Daniel McKenzie and Declan Hamilton are others.

As for contributing next year, it's always a little tough outside the first round to pick. Some come from nowhere. Guys like Connor Blakely, Brayden Maynard and Cory Gregson should be ready to go. And I'll suggest Brenden Abbott to anyone, as a physically ready but slightly raw midfield prospect. Josh Glenn too, as you mention, could step right in. Wont help much in terms of pace, but uses the ball well and can fill a number of holes.

Otherwise, I'd just be looking at maybe a third tall forward. The Bulldogs do have some options, but replacing Jones would be an option. Brenton Payne or Mitch McGovern in the 40s would be a nice pick up.

I'll do a proper update sometime in the next few days, but the first round will likely look something like...

3. Melbourne - Jake Lever
4. GWS - Patrick McCartin
5. Collingwood - Lachie Weller
6. GWS - Jordan DeGoey
7. GWS - Peter Wright
8. Gold Coast - Jayden Laverde
9. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
10. Geelong - Jarrod Pickett
11. West Coast - Paul Ahern
12. Richmond - Liam Duggan