Rumour Bomber Thompson to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo... is Bomber going to the Gold Coast?
Now that Essendon have reaffirmed Hird as senior coach it is as good as taken, from what I have been told they are expecting to finalise it once Thompson returns from his holiday.

I would think so. From what I've read, and I might be wrong, but pretty sure he said he's stay at Essendon if he could be senior coach (paraphrasing). So, if Hird stays on, Bomber goes to the GC.
Gold Coast definitely have been nervous for the last few days. Thompson's comments at the B&F were pretty clear that he wouldn't take up the proposed position that the EFC and many supporters believed that he would, so the board had to make a decision Hird or Thompson, they've clearly gone with Hird as delaying any call will only mean that Thompson takes up the offer so he can get things in place for 2015 and then the EFC board can say Hird is the best available coach.

Really, what did he say?? Was it cause he went against Hird?

He made a public play for Hirds job and it was pretty damn underhanded and virtually was giving the board an ultimatum.

I've never been as big a rap for Bomber as others, we even discussed this earlier, and as my avatar should tell you i'd also prefer Hird wasn't the coach.

It wasn't because he went against Hird as i would feel the same whoever he used those dirty tactics against.

He made a public play for Hirds job and it was pretty damn underhanded and virtually was giving the board an ultimatum.

I've never been as big a rap for Bomber as others, we even discussed this earlier, and as my avatar should tell you i'd also prefer Hird wasn't the coach.

It wasn't because he went against Hird as i would feel the same whoever he used those dirty tactics against.
what is underhanded in a public announcement?

"CONTRARY to reports that the job is his if he wants it, Thompson will not be offered the post and should he chose to lodge an official application would still have a tough task to win over key figures at the club who do not see the two-time Geelong premiership coach as the ideal fit for the Suns."

what is underhanded in a public announcement?

We have a coach. Coach isn't at B&F. Bomber uses this time to advise that he can't go backwards from being the coach. Talks about the GC "coming for him". Doesn't want to leave the club, but...

He used the circumstances to get the crowd on his side and give an ultimatum to the board.

Join the dots mate, it's there for all to see and it isn't the first time Bomber has used underhanded tactics.

We have a coach. Coach isn't at B&F. Bomber uses this time to advise that he can't go backwards from being the coach. Talks about the GC "coming for him". Doesn't want to leave the club, but...

He used the circumstances to get the crowd on his side and give an ultimatum to the board.

Join the dots mate, it's there for all to see and it isn't the first time Bomber has used underhanded tactics.
But its OK when he used these same "tactics" to join your club? You saw nothing wrong with it 4 years ago....

Slax what do you make of this article though;

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-2015-afl-season/story-fnia415y-1227080101886

States that GC have said that they are essentially not that keen and if he wants a crack he will have to go through the process like everyone else.
Blight was involved in the decision to sack McKenna in the first place, remember Blight was a board member at GC before stepping down to avoid any perceived conflict of interest when he took on a the director of coaching role in 2012 (saving McKenna from the sack at the time). If people think that Blight wasn't consulted by current board members prior to the sacking shows a serious lack of understanding in how sporting organisations work.

And Blight is the only reason McKenna lasted this long either. GCFC results only improved once Blight arrived.

Apropos of nothing, Leon Cameron should have a bit of a grace period given he had to deal with all Kevin's bullshit.

But its OK when he used these same "tactics" to join your club? You saw nothing wrong with it 4 years ago....

How would you know what i thought 4 years ago? I've never been a big fan of Bombers, he's massively over rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would you know what i thought 4 years ago? I've never been a big fan of Bombers, he's massively over rated.
Wow. He single handily built one of the greatest sides of the modern era. Delivering 2 flags and having a hand in a 3rd and he's "overrated".

And Blight is the only reason McKenna lasted this long either.
Exactly right. Too many people are oblivious to this and assume that GC dumped McKenna as a knee-jerk reaction to Bomber becoming 'available', or due to losing to many games without Ablett.

It was always an issue, but McKenna was only alive because of Blighty. On the verge of being removed as coach in 2012, Blight came along and saved him. I guess Blighty had enough.

I think some are with regards to their devotion to Hird, and surely I'm not the only one who believes this.

Oh no doubt many are but there are a few from other clubs as well.

Haven't you heard that Bomber, while at Geelong, single handedly built the world...

Oh no doubt many are but there are a few from other clubs as well.

Haven't you heard that Bomber, while at Geelong, single handedly built the world...

Well that's the thing with coaches, they get the credit or the blame, no matter how much it was directly up to them. So if you can win 3 flags you're going to be an absolute god regardless of anything else.

Have it from a very good source that Blighty is into Vossy in a big way.
Wouldn't complain, but I'd hope it'd be for a assistant coach succession plan. Vossy said himself that he wouldn't go back to coaching unless he had a few years as an assistant. If that were to eventuate, that would excite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back