Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% right move, we can then move Roughy forward and into the ruck whilst we replace him with a better defender. Simple really!

He stays down back and uses his athleticism and strength to clear the way for JJ, Murph, Jong, etc.

Lonergan was born 17-5-1984. That means he'll effectively be 31 by the time he starts playing AFL games for us. I'm not sure of the logic here.

Duncan was born 10-6-1991. 23 going on 24 next year.

Ok im really confused here why would we offer Lonagan 30 a 3 year contract when we let go the best full back 2 years ago for Steak knives ---This is the first time I have been worried re build and prosper dont panic pic and plug holes....
Brian Lake didn't want to play for our club anymore.

On the off chance that this is true, Tom Lonergan does.

Enormous difference. I'd hardly call Hrovat 'steak knives', either.

Lonergan would add much needed experience down back and support Morris and Murphy. Yes, he's 30, but clever thinking.

Please, enough about Lake. He cracked the s**** and was completely disinterested in his last year with us and has now suddenly rediscovered his love for the game. Got no time for him.

If you hadnt picked up on it McCartney is not in the Talia fan club. I doubt he has even subscribed to the newsletter or liked them on facebook.

You could see how far McCartney thinks Tali is away from it in an interview Mccartney gave earlier this year.
Was not surprised to see him go gameless in 2014.
I do not necessarily agree though but thats where he sits at the club and like Jones and Tutt is amongst those wanting to move elsewhere.

I reckon BMac has a firm view on not allowing young men get embarrassed on the ground - especially if he's got others in the team who aren't prepared to help out (Coons, Higgins and Co.) and get down back to support.

Notice how all our discards are players who don't naturally support or run back to defend?

The steak knives was giving Hawthorn pick 27 who they traded to GWS who picked up 195cm KPF forward James Stewart who kicked 3 goals against us a month ago and probably won them the game.

Now I am certainly not all for trading for players over 30 but trading for lonergan just makes sense to me. We were extremely thin down back last season and he is in the top handful of defenders in the league and with his size can handle any tall forward as you all would know. Would protect the young KPD coming through who just don't quite seem to be ready and is reliable/consistent. Gives us depth in a position of need and again a good balance of youth/experience down back. My only problem is if he costs us too much. After all he probably gives us 60 very good games provided he doesn't sustain a LTI, so what is a good price for 60 games of consistent footy in a position of need?

I reckon BMac has a firm view on not allowing young men get embarrassed on the ground - especially if he's got others in the team who aren't prepared to help out (Coons, Higgins and Co.) and get down back to support.

Notice how all our discards are players who don't naturally support or run back to defend?
Said that last night, where were you :p

but I agree with what you had said above

Ok im really confused here why would we offer Lonagan 30 a 3 year contract when we let go the best full back 2 years ago for Steak knives ---This is the first time I have been worried re build and prosper dont panic pic and plug holes....
Simple. Lake was going to walk for nothing 12 months after we moved him on.

It's not rocket science mate.

Yes to Lonegan. Allows Roughy to move into the Ruck Forward. Also means another mentor in the backline to help Dale with Talia and Fletcher. As much as i love Dale he struggled at times this year despite battling as hard as always. I think the time for him playing on the big forwards is over and if we are to prolong his career he needs to play on the medium small forwards. Allows Roberts and Talia to devolop while Longegan gets the big guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does make me wonder which young key back we either don't rate, or have other plans for. Just by the names we've been interested in, Jaksch, Schade, Frost, definitely others I CBF thinking of and now even May. A mature back like Lonergan is a whole different story but if we've been targeting defenders who are just as young, and probably less developed than our guys it really makes me wonder why. Lonergan at 30 makes sense, we've heard time and time again the coaching staff mention about how KPDs take time (they really do too, seriously look at the amount of spuds who have turned themselves into top quality defenders in their mid 20s, IIRC you could probably chuck Lonergan in this category too) so we really only want 2, maybe 3 max years out of a defender. Get in a 26-28 year old and they will come at a much much higher price and then take game time away from our own talls.

Said that last night, where were you :p

but I agree with what you had said above

I'd say great minds, but obviously I am 24hrs behind one of those.

Although this isn't the forum for it, I am a big fan of BMac and his positive culture. Geelong had a similar big clean out of one way runners and players who couldn't think under pressure, and bought in kids who were prepared to play to the plan. Not kids who were great players - but great kids who wanted to be great players.

Mate steak Knives went up 4 picks gave him away yes gave away a Norm Smith Medialist

O Brien was the pick which we swapped with Hawthorn not Stewart.

Nope it was pick 27 according to wikipedia draft page, Brian Lake's wiki page and the fox sports article from 2012.

Lake(2 flags and a Norm) and Stewart(195cm KPF) for Hrovat and Stevens. Ouch.

(Hawks traded 27 to GWS as part of the Gilham deal)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dep...-back-brian-lake/story-fna8vsun-1226490850907
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lake

Yes to Lonegan. Allows Roughy to move into the Ruck Forward. Also means another mentor in the backline to help Dale with Talia and Fletcher. As much as i love Dale he struggled at times this year despite battling as hard as always. I think the time for him playing on the big forwards is over and if we are to prolong his career he needs to play on the medium small forwards. Allows Roberts and Talia to devolop while Longegan gets the big guys.

Hes just the perfect size we need too 197cm 95kg plays on the big full forward and allows Talia and Roberts to play further upground, which will help us not getting isolated one on one deep and if we do I feel a lot more comfortable in allowing Lonergan to be that deep tall defender. If anybody can find us a better KPD with a pick in the late 20's to early 30's I am all ears but quite simply this is a very smart move on the clubs behalf.

Moz has 12 months at best IMO. He has been a great servant of the club, but I would be surprised if he goes around in 2016.

A mate sent me text saying that I need to turn on the AFL Trade radio.

Something to-do with news about Cooney and other info on the Dogs??

Have I missed it?

You let bad players go and you keep good ones its easy

as I wrote today all the players gone had reasons but to hold back Talia and Roberts and bring in Lonegan wow logic said computers ses nooooooo

Nope it was pick 27 according to wikipedia draft page, Brian Lake's wiki page and the fox sports article from 2012.

Lake(2 flags and a Norm) and Stewart(195cm KPF) for Hrovat and Stevens. Ouch.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dep...-back-brian-lake/story-fna8vsun-1226490850907
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lake

That pick Hawthorn traded on, not as if we would. Plus Stewart has played one game. Hardly a roaring success yet Could be wrong, but Hrovat is a good midfielder who we have for ten years time.

Terry Wallace about to list manage the bullies on trade radio for anyone who cares

Mate steak Knives went up 4 picks gave him away yes gave away a Norm Smith Medialist
Was he a Norm Smith Medallist when he was traded? Was he ever going to be a Norm Smith Medallist with the Western Bulldogs after that point? It almost beggars belief that people think Hawthorn's success thereafter has any bearing on who 'won' the trade.

Mate, he was finished at the Bulldogs. We got good value for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back