Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at another way

Geelong 10 years out of Lonergan
a pick from us which lands then another 10 year champion

Dogs 2 good years from Lonergan and then back to we're we started from

Will always lose in the long run with these trades unless your a premiership contender

Particularly with Jones leaving, that we need that big focal target up forward, and better key defenders. If we draft a Wright or a Durdin, that is going to fix one of those problems .... in 2016/17.

If we get Lonegan and move Roughead forward, we have solved both problems for 2015 and it allows us to play Talia/Fletcher as 2nd talls in defence and attack respectively, whih is a big enough step up frm VFL as it is, without lumbering them with the main job.

We have to do something to get competitive, otherwise we are a pale imitation of an expansion team with a lot of youngsters, but structurally broken because our mids and keys are in different phases of development.

Last edited:
Still will be short a drafted player who in 5 years could be tearing it up along with Roughie, different views I guess

While I see your point, at some point we do have to considering giving something up to get something. That pick could be a 10 year champion just as easily as it could be a 2 year dud who won't make the cut. If we traded away something in the 20/30 mark for Lonergan, we would know what we are getting at least. As he's a KPD, the cost/benefit would be very beneficial at this stage.

It also helps we have an abundance of 10 year plus champions in the making already so could probably afford a calculated risk

It also helps we have an abundance of 10 year plus champions in the making already so could probably afford a calculated risk

And how many of them are KP size.

Just copy what Port and druggies are doing with Ryder.

Lonergan and Cats mutually agree to cancel his contract and then he goes into free agency and Cats get the pick that is decided by the unknown formula. We end up with the player and save our picks for draftees.

Lonergan and Cats mutually agree to cancel his contract and then he goes into free agency and Cats get the pick that is decided by the unknown formula. We end up with the player and save our picks for draftees.

Is that actually happening with Ryder?

Lonergan and Cats mutually agree to cancel his contract and then he goes into free agency and Cats get the pick that is decided by the xn-1 formula. We end up with the player and save our picks for draftees.

If we picked him up as a FA on the rumoured amount we would lose the Higgins Compo.

I'm all for getting Lonergan for 2-3 years, especially if we draft lever. Roughy struggled against the good forwards this year and Talia isn't ready to tackle a Hawkins/Walker yet either. Lonergan will be good for their development and also potentially Lever. Can't always be Morris to the rescue!

Is that actually happening with Ryder?
Afl have approved it apparently. Even worse, the afl also allowing port to trade pick 17 to the bummers for * all to make the overall package something like 17, 20 and a player for Ryder.

Difference for lonergan is that there's no threat of him leaving under the breach of duty of care rule. Afl will do whatever they have to do to keep this thing out of court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Senility now.

LOL that's okay but speaking of senile Ralphy has come out with this...

The Herald Sun understands the Dogs have offered Lonergan a three-year deal worth $500,000 a season to become their star full back.

The Cats have this week offered to add another season to Lonergan’s current deal, which expires at the end of 2015.

But they fear he can hardly pass up the massive money on offer at the Western Bulldogs.

Lonergan turns 31 in May and is torn between remaining loyal to the Cats and taking a once-in-a-lifetime deal.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...western-bulldogs/story-fnect155-1227084225054

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...y-ryder-to-port-adelaide-20141008-1137n5.html

Here is the article in question. It absolutely stinks. **** the Melbourne compo pick issue, Gordon needs to be on the front foot about this s**t... Otherwise you'll have the Saints, GWS and Melbourne delisting players left right and centre and we'll never get a ******* pick.

You can get compensation for delisted free agents? :O WTF?

The club is deciding that they don't want the player anymore, they don't deserve a ******* thing.

Btw lonergan being criminally underrated on here IMO. If we had him this year we win the 2 essendon games, the Adelaide game and probably the last round as well.
Don't forget the Carlton game. All we needed was one decent defender

You can get compensation for delisted free agents? :O WTF?

The club is deciding that they don't want the player anymore, they don't deserve a ******* thing.

They are not delisting him.

They're making him "out of contract" while he is still in contract and thus a free agent who attracts compo.

They are not delisting him.

They're making him "out of contract" while he is still in contract and thus a free agent who attracts compo.

Christ, what a load of BS.

I can't see the difference between delisting and changing a player's contract/ending it prematurely...

If you actively make that decision, you don't get compo IMO.

I'm all for getting Lonergan for 2-3 years, especially if we draft lever. Roughy struggled against the good forwards this year and Talia isn't ready to tackle a Hawkins/Walker yet either. Lonergan will be good for their development and also potentially Lever. Can't always be Morris to the rescue!

i've got doubts on talia's ability full stop. this is a guy who played in the VFL all year and reportedly didn't poll top 10 in his side's B&F. he's not skinny or underdeveloped. he's not late to the sport. he hasn't been battling OP or any other some such. it just says to me that he ain't that great.

he's fit, and when he's at the contest, he defends well. he's a good reader of the ball in the air. but he's slower than a wet week. he can't kick. but most of all, he doesn't seem to have a fire in him to overcome his deficits (like morris has, like picken has).

i appreciate i'm in the minority on talia, and would love to be proven wrong. we're waifer thin down back in key posts - we need him to stand up.

Btw lonergan being criminally underrated on here IMO. If we had him this year we win the 2 essendon games, the Adelaide game and probably the last round as well.
Not underrated.... Indeed incredibly respected, just not in line with where we are heading, or so it is preached. It's going to make horrible reading when Roberts becomes a premiership player at another club, after he's poached due to limited opportunity. .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back