Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are going to pay someone 180,000 for the year to play in the NEAFL whilst Patton is out injured?

k.

I think Tommy will have to play out of his skin to get a start. We have Jezza, C McCarthy (re-signed), J Stewart (re-signed) all in front of him. He will need to work on his tank and prove that he is more than a stay at home forward. He will have to work on his leading patterns and also his upper body strength (looks big now but still gets thrown around).

Not sure if you are aware but all the kids are on that wage so its no big loss. I'd be happy to warehouse him and give him a couple of games at the end of the year for him to impress and get us a better deal!!

Why not 7?

Fair go.
There should be good will between our two clubs... there's already a lot of personnel crossover.
At least Griff nominated GWS
And Boyd probabaly put his hand up for doggies b/c he saw that GWS would get fair recompense with Griff
I can understand you guys getting pissed that Boyd wants out and it would be a bad precedent , but how many times you get a mature bodied high disposal all australian as an exchange? He's a good guy , too.

I think Tommy will have to play out of his skin to get a start. We have Jezza, C McCarthy (re-signed), J Stewart (re-signed) all in front of him. He will need to work on his tank and prove that he is more than a stay at home forward. He will have to work on his leading patterns and also his upper body strength (looks big now but still gets thrown around).

Not sure if you are aware but all the kids are on that wage so its no big loss. I'd be happy to warehouse him and give him a couple of games at the end of the year for him to impress and get us a better deal!!

Yet you want to hold onto him for an extra 12 months and risk not getting Griffen. Makes sense.

Yet you want to hold onto him for an extra 12 months and risk not getting Griffen. Makes sense.
My opinion is I would trade Boyd now so I agree with you but I don't run the club or make the decisions regarding trading. Unfortunately as it is in most cases between football clubs it has become a pissing contest instead of looking at things pragmatically

My opinion is I would trade Boyd now so I agree with you but I don't run the club or make the decisions regarding trading.

I got nothing against GWS and my comments today sound like im being a smart*** - just out of frustration. You guys have an amazing young list - so trading young players for older guns I thought would be perfect for you guys right now!

Does to me. If he hadn't come out and said definitely leaving in 2016 we would play him but now that he is so adamant he's off he becomes a depth player.

You guys are gonna win flags. If he doesnt want to be a part of it - then why not trade him to get Griff in who will develop your young mids/impact your mids in games? Just doesnt make sense.

At risk of pointing out the obvious... by the end of this trade period, neither of our clubs is going to "win" on this situation.

A deal will be done for Griff im certain. I would much prefer the picks and let Boyd stew for a year. Another year of development under GWS can't hurt and poses less of a risk to us as we've promised such a large investment in him (supposedly)

You guys are gonna win flags. If he doesnt want to be a part of it - then why not trade him to get Griff in who will develop your young mids/impact your mids in games? Just doesnt make sense.
I'm not against that and I think the club (and supporters) new Boyd wanted to leave. I'm thinking they are worried about the message it sends. If they do the trade who is next?

If it was only about 2 players it wouldn't make sense, but it isn't.

Our list is largely made up of young draft picks from Vic, and is likely to be for many years yet.
If we let one go after only a single year, you think he would be the last one?
The club has to be seen to take a stand here and the cold reality is we don't need Griffen anywhere near as much as the Dogs need Boyd.

I'm not against that and I think the club (and supporters) new Boyd wanted to leave. I'm thinking they are worried about the message it sends. If they do the trade who is next?

Just because Boyd doesnt like living in Sydney - doesnt mean the others dislike it. You should just back your club in that they will look after the other youngsters which I am sure they will. Should do what is best for your team NOW and that is getting rid of someone who doesnt wanna be there and then gaining a gun mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a reality all clubs have had to face. Not just yours. Pies will lose Beams, Geelong lost Christensen. Not to be rude, but what's so unique about your club? You should be more worried about what happens behind the scene to retain your players when clubs do come knocking. And they will.

That's a reality all clubs have had to face. Not just yours. Pies will lose Beams, Geelong lost Christensen. Not to be rude, but what's so unique about your club? You should be more worried about what happens behind the scene to retain your players when clubs do come knocking. And they will.

What's unique about our club? 90%+ of the list is drafted from interstate? 90%+ of the list have been taken in the last handful of draft periods, so don't have as many established players to show them the way?

What's unique about our club? 90%+ of the list is drafted from interstate? 90%+ of the list have been taken in the last handful of draft periods, so don't have as many established players to show them the way?
I see your point. But GWS have been gifted an amazing leg up in terms of talent. Not to mention taking our best young player in Ward. Are the AFL to continually gift GWS by ensuring the integrity of contracts of young players also? GWS will have to learn to adapt and that includes fending off other clubs.

I see your point. But GWS have been gifted an amazing leg up in terms of talent. Not to mention taking our best young player in Ward. Are the AFL to continually gift GWS by ensuring the integrity of contracts of young players also? GWS will have to learn to adapt and that includes fending off other clubs.

Yes, and that includes holding players at the club and seeing if their attitude can be changed (see Mitch Brown, ROK, etc). If we give away players whenever they posit that they want out, especially after their first year at the club when they've barely had a chance to settle at all, we'd never hold on to any players. The same goes for all the interstate clubs. We're not suggesting Boyd should be forced to sign a longer deal - we're explaining why trading Boyd is not a good choice for GWS.

Nobody is looking for anything we were just explaining why (we think) the club won't deal Boyd. We will adapt and hopefully in a few years time our academy (if Eddie doesn't destroy it ) we will have less of the go back home factor.

He wants to go to us. It will get done regardless.
sure he does... must be the awesome culture you guys seem to have at the moment.

A year is a long time, he may decide to stay at the giants in that time or may decide someone else in melbourne looks better. caddy wanted to go the bombers when he wanted to leave the suns, they didn't let him go and a year later he signed for the cats.

Does to me. If he hadn't come out and said definitely leaving in 2016 we would play him but now that he is so adamant he's off he becomes a depth player.
as an unbiased onlooker here there is no way the kid is spending anytime next year in the 2's if he is fit.

Firstly if you are any chance to convince him his future lies with the giants you want him playing in the seniors establing stronger bonds with the senior players around him.

Secondly if he is leaving, his currency is alot stronger having played in the seniors all year and hopefully for your sake becomes a bidding war from melbourne clubs who are interested in him.

There is no win if you keep him playing in the 2nds for the year.

as an unbiased onlooker here there is no way the kid is spending anytime next year in the 2's if he is fit.

Firstly if you are any chance to convince him his future lies with the giants you want him playing in the seniors establing stronger bonds with the senior players around him.

Secondly if he is leaving, his currency is alot stronger having played in the seniors all year and hopefully for your sake becomes a bidding war from melbourne clubs who are interested in him.

There is no win if you keep him playing in the 2nds for the year.

If he deserves games he will get them but it really comes down to his attitude and keep in mind his attitude was poor when he first got to the giants, and if he is truely ahead of Stewart and McCarthy and so far in seniors Stewart has been more impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back