Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooney is becoming to expensive even before the announcement of trading Harper as well. The guy was once a jet but he is injury prone and 29.

We've recruited enough injury prone older guys for one trading period..
We've only recruited 1 'injury prone older guy.' Also, Cooneys hardly inury prone. His only problems pretty much were his knees which he's said have been really good over hat last 2 years.

If we played Harper in those games against bottom sides, where does the leave players like Wood and Dumont who were playing blinders in the VFL and still couldn't get a game in the AFL? Granted, I think both should have played more during the year but well before Harper.

We MAY win a flag in those two years Cooney is around. Look on the brightside! :)
Wood and Dumont will get there chance once a few older guys retire. At the moment they're still young and developing. They might be killing it in the VFL but that is a whole different ball game to AFL level and some just don't adapt as good such as Majak who is too good for the VFL but can't quite make AFL standard.

The reason why Harper should have played a couple of games this year ahead of Dumont and Wood is because he is on the trade table and the other two are not. So why not see what he has to offer at AFL level before making such a decision to trade/delist considering that he is a proven player on the big stage.

I think Cooney would be a mistake as I think Waite is, both well past their prime. Higgins the only one worth a punt with plenty of upside. Obviously the club has no confidence in the current crop to get the job done and is thus resorting to, in almost desperation, the buy a flag strategy. It worked in the 70's it won't work now:thumbsdown:

I think Cooney would be a mistake as I think Waite is, both well past their prime. Higgins the only one worth a punt with plenty of upside. Obviously the club has no confidence in the current crop to get the job done and is thus resorting to, in almost desperation, the buy a flag strategy. It worked in the 70's it won't work now:thumbsdown:

Oh buddy.

Are you okay? Do you need a cuddle?

I actually think Cooney would be a better option than Higgins for you guys.

You'll get him cheap and he should be able to deliver 2 good years of footy - which is your chance at a flag while Harvey/Petrie etc. are still around. Is Cooney as good as he was in 2008? No, he isn't. He did get 7 votes in the Brownlow Medal count at an ordinary side though, so I would expect that to improve in a better squad.

He won't dominate every week, but he'll have moments and games where he will genuinely influence the result of the match. I hold nothing against him for going - his time is up with us, given he's not a leader, so it makes sense for him to chase a flag.

Will be interesting to see if a deal gets done, or if he does go to Essendon. If the mooted deals are correct, I'd prefer we trade him to NM.

We've only recruited 1 'injury prone older guy.' Also, Cooneys hardly inury prone. His only problems pretty much were his knees which he's said have been really good over hat last 2 years.

Cooney's knee has improved, but is still a real concern. He's certainly not going to be playing to Brent Harvey's age, every year is a bonus. Depressing to think of the career he could have had, he's still a good player though and its gonna be real sad to see him gone :(

I don't watch the dogs all that much, but on the couple of occasions I did, I noticed Coonknee as the sub.
\ it?

Cooney stats for 2014

By the numbers
  • 2014 Season Average
    Games Played 18
    • Kicks 10.6
    • Handballs 9.1
    • Disposals 19.7
    • Marks 3.7
    • Hit-Outs 0.0
    • Tackles 3.3
    • Goals 0.7
    • AFL Fantasy 78.6
2014 Highlights
Statistics Best Opponent Round
Kicks 15 Brisbane Lions Rd 12
Handballs 14 Fremantle Rd 11
Disposals 26 Fremantle Rd 11
Marks 8 Sydney Swans Rd 22
Hit-outs 0 - -
Tackles 8 North Melbourne Rd 2
Goals 3 St Kilda Rd 20
AFL Fantasy 122 Brisbane Lions Rd 12

Not aimed at you TBB but a lot of Dogs fans telling me how Higgins is no good etc. I reckon there's a bit too much protest going on..

He's obviously not 'no good' as some fans might say, but he's no more than a contributor in the 16-22nd player bracket. Given his early promise, he has delivered incredibly below expectation. Injury seems to have played a part as he doesn't move as well as he did in 2009, but he may be OK at NM as he's surrounded by better players.

I know North need outside run, but I'd still prefer Greenwood to Higgins. The latter isn't quick and can't break lines, he's a good user of the footy but not nearly as good as he was/should be - particularly under pressure. Having said all that, if you play him as a half forward/rotational mid he will be fine.

Cooney would/will be much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's obviously not 'no good' as some fans might say, but he's no more than a contributor in the 16-22nd player bracket. Given his early promise, he has delivered incredibly below expectation. Injury seems to have played a part as he doesn't move as well as he did in 2009, but he may be OK at NM as he's surrounded by better players.

I know North need outside run, but I'd still prefer Greenwood to Higgins. The latter isn't quick and can't break lines, he's a good user of the footy but not nearly as good as he was/should be - particularly under pressure. Having said all that, if you play him as a half forward/rotational mid he will be fine.

Cooney would/will be much better.
Higgins no good. Delist!

The dogs are crazy... they are paying T. Boyd and Crameri over $1.5m a year.... I'm sure the players are also happy that an unproven 19 year old is making twice as much as anyone on their list....

i dont know if i would be happy with our club doing something like that....

The latter isn't quick and can't break lines, he's a good user of the footy but not nearly as good as he was/should be - particularly under pressure. Having said all that, if you play him as a half forward/rotational mid he will be fine.

I think/hope we've got him as an upgrade of Leigh Adams who basically plays the role you describe here.

Jack , I like most of the stuff you offer but I think we are doing a Hawthorn so to speak. They recognised their weakness and went shopping for the player.......ie Brian Lake.
Petrie needs support (yes Brown did his bit) Waite will come in playing support to Petrie or even could be soul focus releasing Petrie to go back @ CHB , there's so many possibilities in having Waite joining us.
Hansen, Petrie and Waite can play either end = flexibility

I agree 100 % with your Higgins views.

The dogs are crazy... they are paying T. Boyd and Crameri over $1.5m a year.... I'm sure the players are also happy that an unproven 19 year old is making twice as much as anyone on their list....

i dont know if i would be happy with our club doing something like that....

We are paying Griffens salary next season as we are way under cap with Gia, Williams, Higgins and Griffen gone plus Cooney, Jones and Tutt likely to leave.

Boyd doesn't get his pay day until 2016 once his 2 year initial draftee contract is up. Stringer and Macrae should be on way better terms next year as they are 3rd year players now, we will have the money to keep the kids happy in the future and recruit another couple of fish.

Anyways, I hope Cooney goes to North instead of Essendon, could not stand watching Cooney in the red and black then their mob immediately start bragging about how good he is. North have players of interest/handy draft picks and we'll be happy to help a good neighbour out.

Jack , I like most of the stuff you offer but I think we are doing a Hawthorn so to speak. They recognised their weakness and went shopping for the player.......ie Brian Lake.
Petrie needs support (yes Brown did his bit) Waite will come in playing support to Petrie or even could be soul focus releasing Petrie to go back @ CHB , there's so many possibilities in having Waite joining us.
Hansen, Petrie and Waite can play either end = flexibility

I agree 100 % with your Higgins views.

I hear what you are saying but we are not as close to winning a flag as Hawthorn were, as proven, I think we are further away than our Prelim berth suggests, next year will most likely prove this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back