Opinion Are we the worst traders in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think it is difficult to dispute our claims for the title of "the worst traders in the AFL".

We have a sad history of buying high and selling low. From the infamous Veale deal to get Jade Rawlings, the Brian Lake trade, and now giving up Griffen and Pick 6 to get Tom Boyd, we almost always blink first and either pay more or get less than we should.

For us to be successful as a club I really think we need to develop an ability to say "no", and walk away if we don't get the deal we want.

I hope the Boyd trade pays off for us but I am worried that we have not only given up way too much to get him. We have also taken a mighty big risk in signing him up to such a large contract at such a young age, which suggests that we didn't bargain very well there either.

Perhaps the club needs to employ a professional negotiator to do our trading for us and/or send everyone in our football department to negotiation trading, because what we are doing at the moment isn't working too well.

Last edited:
The way I see it.

The most we were going to get for Griffen was probably pick 4 + some GWS fringe player. Tom Boyd would go number 1 easily if he was in the draft. I'd trade pick 4 + 6 + a fringe player for pick 1.

Griffen lost a hell of a lot of value when he decided to screw us over, think we've done reasonable well out of the deal. Boyd's worth the risk.

How do you feel about Geelong's deal of Christensen for Stanley, Prof?

I think it is difficult to dispute our claims for the title of "the worst traders in the AFL".

We have a sad history of buying high and selling low. From the infamous Veale deal to get Jade Rawlings, the Brian Lake trade, and now giving up Griffen and Pick 6 to get Tom Boyd, we almost always blink first and either pay more or get less than we should.

For us to be successful as a club I really think we need to develop an ability to say "no", and walk away if we don't get the deal we want.

I hope the Boyd trade pays off for us but I am worried that we have not only given up way too much to get him. We have also taken a mighty big risk in signing him up to such a large contract at such a young age, which suggests that we didn't bargain very well there either.

Perhaps the club needs to employ a professional negotiator to do our trading for us and/or send everyone in our football department to negotiation trading, because what we are doing at the moment isn't working to well.

Maybe the club should employ you. Can't believe they haven't come knocking...

Jmac and Dal are not perfect but they bloody we'll know what they're doing. They have planned and hinted at this for months and got their man. We got Cram cheap (2nd round) last year too don't forget.

Perhaps the club needs to employ a professional negotiator to do our trading for us and/or send everyone in our football department to negotiation trading, because what we are doing at the moment isn't working to well.

If I had to guess who would go the hardest to piss all over the club today and turn a huge positive into a negative, you would have been at the very top of the list. Congratulations artist known as a spelling mistake.

P*** off - This is really proof you can never please everyone!

Griff and pick 6 for last years clear number 1. Most of us have no problem with this.

A few sins in the past but last few years have been positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the club needs to employ a professional negotiator to do our trading for us and/or send everyone in our football department to negotiation trading, because what we are doing at the moment isn't working too well.

Wondered about the next topic you'd take on now that Macca is gone in order to crap all over the club you allegedly support...I assume this is just an interim one until the club employs the 'wrong' coach. I assume it doesn't matter who the coach will be.

I don't see how trading Griffen at 29 next season, with a back injury that he struggled with all last season, he has had one AA year a couple of elite years but is clearly at the beginning of the end he has maybe 4 seasons tops left. He would not be around for our next push at the flag so already really he is surplus, we don't 100% genuinely need him.

Taking into account we also gave up pick 6 which is an unknown, he could turn out well he could turn out bad given that it is a high pick it is more than likely that he will turn out to be a pretty handy player.

We received last years pick #1 a young, powerful, big, tall, power forward who would go at #1 in this years draft as well. These types of players are rare and very difficult to acquire, these type of players are basically essential to win a premiership. This is a player we have struggled to land more often than not the last ones we have had were Grant and Templeton (who was before my time but am aware he was a great forward) and Hall who we got too late in his career and too late in our tilt for the flag.

So honestly I'm not sure what you are getting at with that post, you imo have rocks in your head. I applaud us for getting him, it is a great and ballsy move for the club and an essential one for winning a flag.

If I had to guess who would go the hardest to piss all over the club today and turn a huge positive into a negative, you would have been at the very top of the list. Congratulations artist known as a spelling mistake.

Of course I can always count on you to go straight down to the level of personal insults, Mutt.

I am happy to get Tom Boyd, but if we give up too much to get him, we don't really gain ground do we?
My issue isn't that we shouldn't have traded for him but that we should have driven a better bargain.

Why did we feel the need to close the deal today? Why didn't we wait until tomorrow and see if GWS would have taken Griffen alone or even taken Griffen and a lower draft pick.

Griffen and Pick 6 for a kid who has publicly declared he wants to come was more than we should have had to pay. If we get Boyd and keep Pick 6 then we are likely to improve.

Too many people get caught up in emotional rubbish, like we need to close a big deal, or we need a KPF. Well I want a premiership, and to achieve that we need to get a lot of things right rather than focus on closing one deal.

Granted Professor we arnt the best but I think we have Melbourne covered at least mate

Look we all think we paid overs but in reality it was more about prying a KPP out of another club that actually wanted to play for us.

When is the last time that happened?

We have a butt load of cap room next year when we still pay Griff but under the new rules we would have had to pay that out to players anyway so we lose nothing.

It then allows us to pay another huge contract at end next year that my mail is already done.

Can someone please enlighten me on how much and for how long we are contributing to Griff's contract as I have read different estimates across the entire board

Ignoring the proffessor for a moment
I think we probably could have held off for some steak knives
But honestly, after last week, without this Boyd win the club was going to be festering poison very publicly.
And he is the best forward prospect for sometime
Its a gamble but so is griff for them

And what a great core group of kids to build a team around

Boyd, Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Dalhaus - wow

Hrovat, hunter, smith , wallis, JJ,

Talia, Roberts, Campbell

Can someone please enlighten me on how much and for how long we are contributing to Griff's contract as I have read different estimates across the entire board
We paying his wage next year

GWS are paying Boyd's

Basically we are paying out Griffs contract and GWS are paying Boyd's out

Granted Professor we arnt the best but I think we have Melbourne covered at least mate

Look we all think we paid overs but in reality it was more about proving a KPP out that actually wanted to play for us.

When is the last time that happened?

We have a but the of cap room next year when we still pay Griff but under the new tiles we would have had to pay that put to players anyway so we lose nothing.

It then allows us to pay anothe huge contract at end next year that my mail is already done.

Care to PM me a name or even a hint there MD

Might look as though it's a shade of overs but that will all be forgotten in 5 years when Boyd is quite likely the most dominant forward in the game, your solid gold midfield is along for the ride and.......... Ryan Griffen has retired!

Still time tomorrow to swap Cooney and your other 2nd/3rd round picks back into a first round dip as well ;)

Be happy guys and well done!

The way I see it.

The most we were going to get for Griffen was probably pick 4 + some GWS fringe player. Tom Boyd would go number 1 easily if he was in the draft. I'd trade pick 4 + 6 + a fringe player for pick 1.

Griffen lost a hell of a lot of value when he decided to screw us over, think we've done reasonable well out of the deal. Boyd's worth the risk.

I wouldn't. Quickest way to a premiership team is to get more quality picks and nail them. Higher risk higher reward.
We paid overs for Boyd and think we should have at least got another pick back. 6 could very well be better than Boyd, who knows. But I get we needed it for the club and supporters.

We are no where near the worst traders though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back