Dayne Beams (merged - latest "He could not stand the pressure)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nice because I wouldn't - along with Pendlebury he was a big contributor in the 2010 GF win and was clearly one of our best throughout that 2010 finals series.
Well, that's my perception & the stats back it up as well. Beams more disposals & goals than Thomas per game on average.

But each to their own.

So we hate beams for leaving for family and money but Jolly was a star for joining the pies?

It's just what football is now. And if you get a player from another state it's the risk you take.

Loyalty in football is dead. If you worked interstate and got offered more money to do the same job with your brother and live with your family you would take it in a heartbeat.

And even IF beams had an issue with the coach he did the right thing by the club and did not work against it in his time here unlike other players.

He hasn't done anything wrong. If a deal didn't get done he would have been a professional and left the year after.
I read this crap all the time and I can tell you it NEVER applies to me. Sure I am happy to receive a quality player from another club but I would never respect a player who moves to Collingwood for money or success ( more forgiving if it is to return to home city) Luke Ball is an exception bc I believe he was pushed out and showed the utmost class. So yes I was happy to poach Pert in the 90's but I would never respect him like a Robert Harvey or Chris Grant.

Personally I don't blame him sitting out the Copeland. Put yourself in his shoes ... having to go up on stage and deal with Eddie putting you on the spot and hassling you to stay - 4 hours of being hassled by everyone about "oh, please stay!" when the mind is already made up.

Not sure going out to a pub on the night was smart though. I do wonder if that photo appearing was setup or random.

I see your point, and yes it would've been uncomfortable for him... but it would've made the move a lot smoother. It's the equivalent of dumping a long time girl/boyfriend by sms... it's weak and gutless.

H made some bizarre comments, but he came and said his goodbyes to the club... and I think most respect him moreso for doing it.

I think Dayne's best option would've been the attend the Copeland, but to give a simple speech about how he's loved his time at Collingwood, but that his dad's illness has given him a lot to reflect on and he wants to return to QLD to spend more time with his family etc.
If he did that, I'm sure that would all be much more accepting of him leaving and he wouldn't have completely alienated the biggest fanbase in this country.
Look at the end of the day it makes no difference to him, but if he had any care for the organisation and crowds that have given him this opportunity to make millions from playing a game, then he would've either fronted up to the Copeland or made more of a public appearance during this time, instead of going drinking at the pub and skipping the country.

I think Dayne's best option would've been the attend the Copeland, but to give a simple speech about how he's loved his time at Collingwood, but that his dad's illness has given him a lot to reflect on and he wants to return to QLD to spend more time with his family etc.
If he did that, I'm sure that would all be much more accepting of him leaving and he wouldn't have completely alienated the biggest fanbase in this country.
Look at the end of the day it makes no difference to him, but if he had any care for the organisation and crowds that have given him this opportunity to make millions from playing a game, then he would've either fronted up to the Copeland or made more of a public appearance during this time, instead of going drinking at the pub and skipping the country.

He could not have said that ...

Remember at the time that the club's position was "Dayne is a contracted player and we will be working with Dayne to accommodate his needs within the Collingwood Football Club" or words to that effect.

So if he'd gotten up on stage and said what you suggested ... he'd be in contravention of Collingwood's position and his own contractual obligations. And he probably would have been howled down for it.

Given he had made up his mind to leave at that stage (according to his manager) and Collingwood had made up their mind that he was staying (another example of bluster :rolleyes: ) then the best solution was for him to stay at home (ie: certainly not go to the pub!)

Dayne had family values in mind, I doubt anyone would have bothered him at the B&F if they all new his reason for leaving. Fortunately he drank beers that night elsewhere then flew off to USA and all was revealed.
The players would probably know his thoughts on the club and reasons for leaving. They may not say much publicly but generally there would be a hell of a lot of internal talk.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going into the Copeland it wasn't.
Apparently he rang Bucks and explained why, which Bucks accepted.
My read on it; he didn't want to be badgered. Which funnily enough I can accept, (supporters, (of all clubs) are not themselves:rolleyes: after a few too many).
Some may say he was sensitive about his Dad; some may say he had something to hide.

The players would his thoughts on the club and reasons for leaving. They may not say much publicly but generally there would be a hell of a lot of internal talk.
Exactly! And that's why he didn't turn up with the spin story.

Connors: Hey Brissy, Dayne wants to be traded to you.
Brissy: Sweet! How much is earning per year.
Connors: 400K
Brissy: We'll double that and throw in a 5/6 year contract
Connors: Sweet Jesus! OK
Media alert:
Dayne has sick father and will only commit to Brisbane for a massive pay increase, all other parties (GC) back OFF! Dayne needs the extra income for travel (petrol) allowance.

anonymous: Yeah, like this wasn't pre arranged or anything :rolleyes:

Exactly! And that's why he didn't turn up with the spin story.

Connors: Hey Brissy, Dayne wants to be traded to you.
Brissy: Sweet! How much is earning per year.
Connors: 400K
Brissy: We'll double that and throw in a 5/6 year contract
Connors: Sweet Jesus! OK
Media alert:
Dayne has sick father and will only commit to Brisbane for a massive pay increase, all other parties (GC) back OFF! Dayne needs the extra income for travel (petrol) allowance.

anonymous: Yeah, like this wasn't pre arranged or anything :rolleyes:
You forgot the first bit where Dayne said to Conners "I don't like Collingwood any more and I have to get out".

You forgot the first bit where Dayne said to Conners "I don't like Collingwood any more and I have to get out".
And the next bit:-
Connors: You told me you loved it Collingwood, you've just built a beautiful home - what's changed?
Beams: s**t culture mate, hate the coach
Connors: I've always found Bucks to be highly professional
Beams: EXACTLY

Yeah well, I think a few of us are familiar with Dayne being a lazy arse non committed to the hard yards. I reckon with his new mates and culture, things will drop off and that is why I am grateful that he is gone. Along with the high bombing kicks and lack of, well , you know , gut running and tackling.

Yeah well, I think a few of us are familiar with Dayne being a lazy arse non committed to the hard yards. I reckon with his new mates and culture, things will drop off and that is why I am grateful that he is gone. Along with the high bombing kicks and lack of, well , you know , gut running and tackling.
Yeh, must have fluked the 2012 B&F and lucked into his excellent return from long term injury in 2013 and B&F podium in 2014. Can a lazy non committed player do that well at our club?

Yeh, must have fluked the 2012 B&F and lucked into his excellent return from long term injury in 2013 and B&F podium in 2014. Can a lazy non committed player do that well at our club?
Sure they can, but he was doing all the right things then. Funny how quickly the tide turns when no-one is watching. Still, his forward 50 bombing kicks and lack of defence isn't worth 800k per year at Collingwood, but you'll probably disagree.

And the next bit:-
Connors: You told me you loved it Collingwood, you've just built a beautiful home - what's changed?
Beams: s**t culture mate, hate the coach
Connors: I've always found Bucks to be highly professional
Beams: EXACTLY
Do you honestly believe prefessionalism drives quality players out of clubs? Sorry but that's just a nonesensical notion and in any event based on a ridiculous assumption that Malthouse not as highly professional.

Whatever made Beams fall out of love with Collingwood I can't believe increased professionalism would have played any part in it and frankly I';d be surprised if the level of professionalism has changed to any material degree.

I loved him as a player from the time he started and he's a Premiership player, so that makes him unique.
His natural ability brought him all the accolades he received.
He was unable to commit to a more professional regimen and that's why he had a falling out with Bucks, (and 'cos his mates have gone).

My final words; he's clearly not committed as he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back