List Mgmt. Lyons staying

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to see Lyons signed. The club should give him a better opportunity to cement a spot. Scott Thompson isn't going to last forever and I'm glad the club is thinking ahead. He will wan't to be on his toes though. Matty Crouch will be snapping at his heels once he's had a few years in the system.

Official. 2 years.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-10-20/lyons-still-crowing

Shaw, Siggins and Ratkins also inked new deals

Shaw has to be the luckiest player we have. The last time I remember seeing him play decent footy was half way through 2012. I know he's had repeated injuries but he's still very lucky to get a new deal. Has probably been saved by our depleted defense stocks. Much the same with Reilly though he was already contracted.

Really hoping Phil Walsh and his team know their s**t. Reilly and Shaw are both capable of bloody good football. We need our coaching staff to grind some performance out of them. If we can get them looking like AFL footballers, free's up our better talent for time in the middle/forward. Wouldn't mind seeing Smith, Jaensch, Henderson & Mackay kicking the footy inside 50. There's something wrong about having most of your best kicking players in permanent defensive roles.

Didn't they take Steve Morris out of DreamTeam because his starting price was already higher than the salary cap?

That's a good point, plus the system couldn't handle that he was hitting 1.5million+ points every game.

Bit disrespectful to Gray, he was elite this year. lyon won't reach his level, a poor mans Gray is more realistic. In saying that it's great that he still wanted to stay after the last few years
He never compared him to Gray. He referred to Gray's role.

Go look at some stats. It took Gray years to develop into the gun he is today, you have no idea what Lyons' ceiling is - none of us do

He never compared him to Gray. He referred to Gray's role.

Go look at some stats. It took Gray years to develop into the gun he is today, you have no idea what Lyons' ceiling is - none of us do
We also have to be realistic, some players ceiling is a role player. Gray was held back by injuries, there was no doubt about his talent. if lyon had a high ceiling he either wouldn't still be here, or he would've been considered best 22 the last few years. Yes, he might be given more opportunities in the future, I just don't see him as a guy we will turn to when the games on the line (although he'd do just as well as the guys this year). We all rate certain players differently. Some on here were filthy at Johnston wasn't selected this year.

Balanced, clean skills, ball magnet. Glad we've convinced him to stay, have a feeling he's going to be an excellent player for us for a long time.

OUyFrT6.png

Good luck to the kid.

Having said that, I am taking a dissenting view here. It might be just me, but Lyons doesn't excite me like he does most other posters on this board. I think he is very good depth, but not best 22. Too much like too many others on our list.

Would be VERY happy to be proven wrong tho

Good luck to the kid.

Having said that, I am taking a dissenting view here. It might be just me, but Lyons doesn't excite me like he does most other posters on this board. I think he is very good depth, but not best 22. Too much like too many others on our list.

Would be VERY happy to be proven wrong tho
Needs to be played in the guts. His best midfield game was vs Kangaroos a couple years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very happy that he has decided to stay. Hope he gets more opportunity with the new coach. Its just nice to hear some positivity coming from the club especially after everyone was saying no one wanted to come to the crows.

I think he will deliver and have a lot more confidence under a new coach.

Must have been demoralising playing under Sando with limited game time coming on as the sub.

Great news. What's his best position - midfield/defensive small forward? Will It be a toss up between him and wright?

This is great news. So glad he stayed, gonna be great for us. Dunno how some can judge him on the near non-existent chances he was given under Sanderson. Clearly a talent.

Hopefully Lyons. Thought Wright was carried plenty last year, if he had of been anyone else he would have been dropped. Seemed like he was a bit of a Sando's pet for awhile.
I agree on Wright last year, but has Lyons come close to the best we've seen from Wright do you think? In 2012 he was on fire.

I agree on Wright last year, but has Lyons come close to the best we've seen from Wright do you think? In 2012 he was on fire.

2012 is a long time ago

Lyons last few games is better than what Wright has offered in the past 2 season IMO

IMO Wright's best games were to few and far in between, Briwn was very good for most of 2914 however his performances have been largely under-rated by many and Laird was played way out of position in the midfield and at times across HF

Great news Lyons has a new 2 year deal & sure he will get a better run under Walsh.

Would like to see us rotate 2/3 of Lyons, s Thompson & m crouch for most games.

Lyons plays around 80%
s Thompson around 70%
m crouch around 70%

Yes, all 3 can play against slower or lower ranked teams as important we rotate all midfielders to keep them fresh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back