List Mgmt. Lyons staying

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really rate Lyons that highly. I think he is a decent player and can be a very good clearance player.

The issue I have is that we have too many midfielders that we simply can't play them all....

We haven't lost any midfielders from last year and look to be gaining Van Berlo back for 2015. In addition to this there is a chance that Smith moves forward.

Danger, Sloane, Crouch, Thommo, Douglas, Van Berlo, Smith, Wright, Kerridge, Crouch Jnr, Grigg, Lyons - throw in players like Martin and Mackay and thats a bit of s**t fight for time in the middle.

Who misses out this year?

I don't really rate Lyons that highly. I think he is a decent player and can be a very good clearance player.

The issue I have is that we have too many midfielders that we simply can't play them all....

We haven't lost any midfielders from last year and look to be gaining Van Berlo back for 2015. In addition to this there is a chance that Smith moves forward.

Danger, Sloane, Crouch, Thommo, Douglas, Van Berlo, Smith, Wright, Kerridge, Crouch Jnr, Grigg, Lyons - throw in players like Martin and Mackay and thats a bit of s**t fight for time in the middle.

In my opinion Lyons gets a game infront of wright, kerridge and grigg

Danger - outside mid, elite speed (can play inside mid OR forward)
Sloane - outside mid / between the 50's (can play inside mid)
Crouch - inside mid
Thommo - inside mid
Douglas - outside mid / forward rotation
Van Berlo - half back
Smith - outside mid, elite speed and disposal
Wright - forward rotation
Kerridge - half forward
Crouch Jnr - inside mid
Grigg - outside mid, elite disposal
Lyons - inside mid
Martin - SANFL
Mackay - outside speed

Martin and Mackay for starters. Sloane and smith to the wings. 2 mids resting on the bench and 1-2 resting fwd at any point in time. Thommo perhaps being managed out and VB quite possibly running off a hbf. I think that leaves 2 out of the team or 1 out and 1 sub. That shouldn't be too hard to manage game time, 2nds and sub duty and if course form (or lack of) and injury could make it even less troublesome.

I don't think that's too many mids for a full and deep rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but that's the thing, Mitchell can get away with it because of those things that Lyons doesn't have. That's why he will always struggle
while Lyon's may not have Mitchell's level of vision I think you'll find he's still well above average, ESPECIALLY compared to our starting list

I think.......

Ok my theory.

Tex I think it was tweeted something about Rutland. ..... The only thing that came to mind was Rutland Avenue. I wondered if this was where the Performance Centre was.

My bet is #avenue is a reference to the performance centre.

You might be on the money. I know Eddie lives a street of Rutland Ave, and I'd heard Tex was nearby.

Crouch - inside mid
Thommo - inside mid
Van Berlo - half back
Kerridge - half forward
Crouch Jnr - inside mid
Lyons - inside mid
Martin - SANFL
Mackay - outside speed
Too much pigeon-holing for me & we should be looking to the Hawks model of deeper rotations through HFF/HBF. eg.

Kerridge - HFF, inside/outside midfielder & HBF. Same for Danger & Sloane.

VB - as for Kerridge, but not the outside midfielder role, unless run-with to shut down an opposition player.

Grigg - as per Kerridge, but limited as inside midfielder.

Too much pigeon-holing for me & we should be looking to the Hawks model of deeper rotations through HFF/HBF. eg.

Kerridge - HFF, inside/outside midfielder & HBF. Same for Danger & Sloane.

VB - as for Kerridge, but not the outside midfielder role, unless run-with to shut down an opposition player.

Grigg - as per Kerridge, but limited as inside midfielder.

So you have:

Danger - HFF, inside mid, outside mid, HBF
Sloane - HFF, inside mid, outside mid, HBF
Kerridge - HFF, inside mid, outside mid, HBF
VB - HFF, inside mid, HBF, run-with shut down
Grigg - HFF, inside mid, HBF

Of course there are rotations in modern footy that mean positions become a bit grey ... but I don't see these 5 players as having that type of flexibility.

Sloane is definitely a better defensive player than attacking. He can drift forward, but thats not his strength.
Danger is definitely a better attacking player than defensive. He can drift back, but that is not his strength.
Kerridge has great goal sense which is a rare skill and should be utilised.
VB is a good thinker and ball user, as well having a massive tank - but he doesn't have any speed ... should use the skills he has in the backlines.
Grigg's big tick is his disposal, should be feeding our forward line whenever he can.

All of these players need to run both ways, but surely you need to play to their strengths rather than trying to get them to do everything in every position?

Crouch - inside mid
Thommo - inside mid
Van Berlo - half back
Kerridge - half forward
Crouch Jnr - inside mid
Lyons - inside mid
Martin - SANFL
Mackay - outside speed
You're not going to play all of those in the same team though. At least 2 more need to be in the SANFL.
I'm picking Mackay and Wright for that.

I'd also be playing danger as an outside mid because... noone will catch him, and if they do they won't tackle him, and if there is a loose ball, it's his.

So you have:

Danger - HFF, inside mid, outside mid, HBF
Sloane - HFF, inside mid, outside mid, HBF
Kerridge - HFF, inside mid, outside mid, HBF
VB - HFF, inside mid, HBF, run-with shut down
Grigg - HFF, inside mid, HBF

Of course there are rotations in modern footy that mean positions become a bit grey ... but I don't see these 5 players as having that type of flexibility.

Sloane is definitely a better defensive player than attacking. He can drift forward, but thats not his strength.
Danger is definitely a better attacking player than defensive. He can drift back, but that is not his strength.
Kerridge has great goal sense which is a rare skill and should be utilised.
VB is a good thinker and ball user, as well having a massive tank - but he doesn't have any speed ... should use the skills he has in the backlines.
Grigg's big tick is his disposal, should be feeding our forward line whenever he can.

All of these players need to run both ways, but surely you need to play to their strengths rather than trying to get them to do everything in every position?
I agree about utilising players' strengths - & that means different roles against different opposition - both during & different games.

eg. Danger played a great game against the Pies this year, where he stationed himself across half back for much of the game - cleaning up in marking contests. Would like to see him play this role more at times, along with freed up on a wing to utilise his pace & "rested" up forward, including 1:1 in the goal square.

Yes, VB should not be used in an outside "speed" role, when we have Smith, Hendo, Danger, etc which offer far more pace. But utilise his tank & discpline to closely shut-down someone either HBF, midfield or HFF (eg. Delideo type which runs amok). Good overhead.

Yes, would like to Keg used up forward - but completely would be a waste! Such a great disposal, use him onball & also across HBF to setup the play.

I prefer Sloaney mainly as a wingman, as take advantage of his gut-running. But can't do for a whole game so utilise him on a HBF & HFF at times. He is also good overhead & decent set shot at goal.

What I'm saying is we have a group of midfielders with different skill-set, where most can play more than 1 role - don't pigeon hole them as limits our rotations & flexibility & makes us more predictable/easier to shut down.

<snip>
What I'm saying is we have a group of midfielders with different skill-set, where most can play more than 1 role - don't pigeon hole them as limits our rotations & flexibility & makes us more predictable/easier to shut down.

What I listed were where I saw each players strengths ... no AFL footballer playing between the 50's has a position anymore. Even forwards are expected to drift back, and defenders provide attacking options.

Strengths are generally pigeon holes though - unless you have someone like Danger that ticks a heap of boxes. Sure Kerridge can play as an inside mid, but don't expect him to have an output anything like Lyons in that position - same goes visa versa.

I'm sure Tex could play at CHB if we needed him too, but not our best use of his unique skill set :)

Happy to hear he resigned, always felt this kid is going to go ok, I have been around a while - I was there when we played the Hawks on day one! I have heard the hype etc etc etc was devastated the day we took Carey! I Questioned the trade - Groom for some kid named Mcleod, only to be told by my brother who knows more about footy than me - don't stress this kid is a star, trust me!
So FF I believe Lyon is going to be a 200+ game player think maybe just under Tyson Edwards but not by much! Just saying!

Not convinced by Lyons yet. Good clearance player, but speed is an issue. I've not seen many slower than him. However rarely did Sando actually play him in the middle where he should be played so I don't know how good he really is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back