Analysis The mini draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not a crazy thing to say. Anyone who watched that West Coast game in the last round would take him in a heartbeat.
I suppose just because O'Meara is so highly rated as are the others and Hogan could be anything. Martin is skinny, underdeveloped and has played exactly one good game. But what a game it was!

Mate, Martin is an absolute jet. If he was at one of the bigger Vic clubs he'd be in the news every second day. Think of Jeff Farmer at his best then add 10 cm's.

Don't get me wrong, Hogan will also be good, hopefully elite but at this stage I'd have both those mids in front.

I'm hoping that Hogan will be the best of the four and I think he has the potential to be but right not right now.

ANd he's done it for what like 2 games?
Amongst a string of very average games.

Only played 11 games, some sub, after returning from injury.

He is a wisp, whereas Omeara and Crouch are very developed. IMO Martin could easily be the best.

Crouch has 40 touches against the best side in the comp in his 2nd week back from injury on a friday night infront of a packed house.
Has yet to have a full pre-season

Crouch has 40 touches against the best side in the comp in his 2nd week back from injury on a friday night infront of a packed house.
Has yet to have a full pre-season
And Crouch is an absolute man child.

Martin will take longer to develop, but his touches and run are so damaging. A freakishly skilled player, who doesn't yet have the mass to play on ball. As he gains strength though, will improve rapidly like Fyfe but with bennels skill. Omeara is better than Crouch. Gets marginally less ball, but a better user and more athletically talented. His pace and agility give him the edge.

Dont have to read 9 pages, but anyone putting Crouch last of the 4 has no idea.
Has the potential to be the best of the lot.

Everybody has the potential to be the best out of the 4.

Well virtually every draft expert I've heard from had Crouch last of the four, but hey if you say they have no idea then it must be true.

Which 'draft experts' are you talking about?
Probably the same one that said Watts was the best player in his year.
And is this before they started playing AFL?

Because lets face it Hogan has done 0, Martin pretty much 0.
O'Meara and Crouch are only ones with runs on the board.

Which 'draft experts' are you talking about?
Probably the same one that said Watts was the best player in his year.
And is this before they started playing AFL?

Because lets face it Hogan has done 0, Martin pretty much 0.
O'Meara and Crouch are only ones with runs on the board.

Winning a VFL best and fairest from 13 games as an 18 year old when you're not eligible to play AFL is "nothing".

I accept you know nothing about him, so your comment is understandable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's OK. I've gathered what you know and don't know about the draftees in question. This really isn't a thread for you. I put it down to geography.

I know plenty about him.
I know he hasnt played AFL
I know he played very well in 2013 in a rubbish VFL team.
I know he hyperextended his knee late in 2013.
I know he had a bad back injury during 2014.

None of these things tell me he'll be better than the other 3 players.

I miss hotpocket. The early part of this thread was great reading with his cheerleading for Hogan.

"I've never seen these guys play but Hogan is better"

Dont worry, Trav here is replacing the hot pocket.

Even given Hogan has played 0 afl games, he apparently thinks hes shown enough to be considered with the other names on the list.

And Crouch is an absolute man child.

Martin will take longer to develop, but his touches and run are so damaging. A freakishly skilled player, who doesn't yet have the mass to play on ball. As he gains strength though, will improve rapidly like Fyfe but with bennels skill. Omeara is better than Crouch. Gets marginally less ball, but a better user and more athletically talented. His pace and agility give him the edge.

Man Child is not something i would use to describe Crouch. Has no where near the muscle of guys like Wines or O'Meara and justifiably so as they are tough inside mids (ala JPK) where as he is a silky smooth mid like Pendlebury.

Man Child is not something i would use to describe Crouch. Has no where near the muscle of guys like Wines or O'Meara and justifiably so as they are tough inside mids (ala JPK) where as he is a silky smooth mid like Pendlebury.
Nah, not like Pendlebury.

The kid is already well developed physically.

More mass than Omeara who has a lot of lean muscle.

Nah, not like Pendlebury.

The kid is already well developed physically.

More mass than Omeara who has a lot of lean muscle.

I saw him and his brother a week ago in person so i can tell you first hand he isn't a massive boy or anything close to a man child. Might have it on in KG's but have a look at his chest and forearms.

I saw him and his brother a week ago in person so i can tell you first hand he isn't a massive boy or anything close to a man child. Might have it on in KG's but have a look at his chest and forearms.
Yeah nah.

Well developed for his age and as a player, nothing like Pendlebury. Where Omeara differentiates, is better skills, and elite athletic potential. He would be one of the quickest and most agile players in the AFL. Doesn't use it enough yet, because he plays a more defensive role, but as he develops his game along the lines of his junior days, will absolutely torch teams.

Yeah nah.

Well developed for his age and as a player, nothing like Pendlebury. Where Omeara differentiates, is better skills, and elite athletic potential. He would be one of the quickest and most agile players in the AFL. Doesn't use it enough yet, because he plays a more defensive role, but as he develops his game along the lines of his junior days, will absolutely torch teams.

Would disagree wholeheartedly. Tell me someone like Pendlebury is massive and you'd be having a laugh yet he is 91kg. Plays his role so much like Pendlebury which A LOT of Adelaide Crows supporters have backed up (who would definitely see more his games than yourself).
.. I prefer an eye test over a number just personally.

Stick Thin:
upload_2014-10-22_11-16-19.jpeg

Average:
901469-7296ff5a-735d-11e3-82a9-fbdd3ae7c5df.jpg

Man Child:
images

Man Child:
Ollie+Wines+AFL+Rd+2+Port+v+Adelaide+AnWJ7kafA1ll.jpg

I know plenty about him.
I know he hasnt played AFL
I know he played very well in 2013 in a rubbish VFL team.
I know he hyperextended his knee late in 2013.
I know he had a bad back injury during 2014.

None of these things tell me he'll be better than the other 3 players.

We can all read.

Your acumen levels with regards to this player stretch to zero. Understandable though.

Yeah Crouch isnt like Pendlebury.

He's hard to define, but definitely more of an inside than an outside mid. Hes not a massive unit either, his body is more like ablett, just strong core and seems to be close to the ground and really well balanced. I think he'll be rated a lot more highly next year after a full season. If he was at a Vic club, people would be jizzing themselves.

Martin for mine, His last game vs the Eagles was incredible the marks he was taking were sublime.

Has the most talent of the lot and the highest ceiling IMO.

Dont worry, Trav here is replacing the hot pocket.

Even given Hogan has played 0 afl games, he apparently thinks hes shown enough to be considered with the other names on the list.
And Jack Martin has played 11 games, probably 7 of which he did nothing, a few he showed a bit and 1 has been an absolute standout yet people will take him first. So I'm not sure what you point is.

Tom Boyd just got paid 7 mil, traded for Griffen and pick 6 and salary relief from the dogs on the back of 9 games a lot of which were average.

It's a bit ridiculous to argue over who is the best. But I wouldn't rule out any of them. Hogan and Martin have both had injuries and were always going to take longer. But I guess there were plenty calling Hodge a dud in about 2003 and thinking not only Judd but Ball were way better players.

Only Daniher (had he not been father son) and Whitfield could've rivaled O'Meara and Crouch in the 2012 draft. Only Boyd would've been in the conversation with Martin and Hogan had they been in the 2013 draft. They are all super talents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back