List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt White has been somewhat of a revelation since joining Port. His blistering runs and devastating long goals have been something else. If we do recruit Blase, and he ends up being half the player that Matt White has become, we'll have done more than alright.

The only thing id say is...sometimes the grass is greener..... When I saw White , I often thought he has something yet he was unloved or under appreciated at the Tigers.

Hard to make that case for Blease yet he is not without something to offer.

True, what the club has done so far this trade period is baffling. Dumping Hunt & Varcoe to replace them with Blease is a head scratcher.

Everyone has their own take on it.

Im not following their moves but I cant say I'm totally upset either. As long as we learn. If a Blease is brought in , its not like bringing in a draftee..1 year with an option of another. If he comes out and lays an egg..well chop him as we will be going hard at mids next year , but if it is an inspired recruitment hey ..sign him for longer , pay to the level he plays at.

Last edited:
Enough for me. Pass.

Would he a be chance to play in 2015? Id say a chance
Would any player taken at 70 whatever be more ready than a player like this..I doubt it
Can we get a bargain 18/19 year old that will be better. Maybe , but I doubt he would be ready for 2015.
So whether its him or not , I feel we need to add 22-25 year old range , but we also need to add player that push into best 22 , not just become list padding... over to you GFC. Make the right call

Last edited:
Stanley could also taking the kick in duties after a behind if need be. His kick should clear most defensive presses.

Has got a good leg on him, but preferably have him as a marking option, someone like Mackie, Harry, even Kolo if he gets a gig, all reports are he has a fair leg, would be my ideal kickers

Would he a be chance to play in 2015? Id say a chance
Would any player taken at 70 whatever be more ready than a player like this..I doubt it
Can we get a bargain 18/19 year old that will be better. Maybe , but I doubt it will be 2015.
So whether its him or not , I feel we need to add 22-25 year old range , but we need to add player that push into best 22 , not just become list padding... over to you GFC. Make the right call

I'm not convinced TC. I think his good looks pretty good but it's few and far between. If you are going to be a purely outside player like Blease is then you need to be far more damaging than he has shown so far. His kicking is ordinary. The highlights package was pretty kind. It's not as bad as Smedts but of a similar ilk I reckon. Has a funny ball drop.

If we are looking for a mature aged type with speed, I'd prefer to look at Shannon Taylor after seeing the vid posted by The Pivotonian .

If we pick him I hope I'm wrong but I just see a guy not too dissimilar to Billy S.

I'm not convinced TC. I think his good looks pretty good but it's few and far between. If you are going to be a purely outside player like Blease is then you need to be far more damaging than he has shown so far. His kicking is ordinary. The highlights package was pretty kind. It's not as bad as Smedts but of a similar ilk I reckon. Has a funny ball drop.

If we are looking for a mature aged type with speed, I'd prefer to look at Shannon Taylor after seeing the vid posted by The Pivotonian .

If we pick him I hope I'm wrong but I just see a guy not too dissimilar to Billy S.

Im not convinced either but we are talking second hand here , there will be issues with most players. I posted a video on Taylor too so I like him as well but Blease has shown it at the level , just like Stanley his deficiencies are highlighted because he has played at the highest level.
Certainly Taylor worth a look as well but he probably doesn't fit the hole they are trying fill , a 22-25 player that could push for best 22 spot.

He has ability but seems fairly soft effort wise for mine, I would have rather Hunt.

I definitely think we will use #73 on either a DFA or mature age draftee but he wouldnt be my first choice.
I know Sam really well from Eastern Ranges days, and 'SOFT' is way off the mark, and a term I hate anyway.
He is a real goer, different from TH in his style of play, and worth a long hard look.

We didn't dump Varcoe, he was the trade price to get Clark in.
Finally some common sense and logic brought into the thread!
Hunt had run his race at Geelong (read between the lines - he was not wanted for one reason or another).

Blease will come significantly cheaper than either of these 2 from a salary perspective.

The club isn't "Dumping Hunt & Varcoe to replace them with Blease". The moves aren't related. The club is just managing how to get the most value out of it's trade assets and cap $.
Finally some common sense and logic!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, I am almost certain that we can pick him up on November 1st, i.e. not in the draft

From afl.com.au
AFL.com.au understands the Cats have made moves to secure him when the delisted free agency period opens on November 1.

I know Sam really well from Eastern Ranges days, and 'SOFT' is way off the mark, and a term I hate anyway.
He is a real goer, different from TH in his style of play, and worth a long hard look.

I hope I don't use that term , along with poatoe etc ...its really a armchair expert type remark. Are any AFL player soft? Not really but some probably have a more normal range of understanding what causes pain and how much it hurts..yet its only rarely one gets highlighted. His foot skills look less than we usually like but are they worse than Byrnes or Wojo.. 1 and 1 , is there really much risk?

Im not convinced either but we are talking second hand here , there will be issues with most players. I posted a video on Taylor too so I like him as well but Blease has shown it at the level , just like Stanley his deficiencies are highlighted because he has played at the highest level.
Certainly Taylor worth a look as well but he probably doesn't fit the hole they are trying fill , a 22-25 player that could push for best 22 spot.

That's the video I think. I like the character of the guy. Lightening quick with good skills. It sounds like his personal issues of being a young father may have held him back from being taken in his draft year. Not sure why he couldn't get a game next year if he had a solid pre-season?

The more I read and see about him, the more I think taking him instead of using pick 73 is the right more.

He has a great first step, something that we really lack through the middle. He could create instant space with his breaks, and he could bring that outside run. Which is something we have really missed ever since wojo retired.

That fact he knows where the goals are is a bonus.

I trust in our system to bring the best out of him

Hawthorn isn't full of discards. Hawthorn is full of good players from other clubs that they specifically targeted and lured to the club. Most of their recruits from other clubs have been quality players, not rejects.
they do have some rejects though, Spangher for one.

Have you seen a bit of him this year P_O?

A bit mainly on abc.

He was a real talent in his draft year overlooked for off field issues-him moving to vic is a good sign

Still inconsistent though because he is unfit and cant impact across whole games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back