Is Adelaide Oval too small?

Is Adelaide Oval too small?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It is one of the best grounds in the country now. The atmosphere when it fills is amazing. If you increase the capacity to 70k I think you lose that. I went with a large family group for the Hawks vs Crows match (one side of the family is Crows supporters, the other side is Hawks) and it was one of the best overall live footy experiences I have had. I have to say that the Crows crowd was very classy overall, with several wishing us luck for the finals as everyone was walking out.

Great ground, great experience, would be very reluctant to change it. It still feels like the Adelaide Oval of old that has always been a beautiful ground where I have fond memories of watch Test Cricket while also being a modern facility with a great view of the action.

Having demand exceed capacity is a positive, if they start charging a premium for the better seats. Geelong charge like a wounded bull for their premium seats.

Subi has been too small (43K) for a long time. A members only ground, with minimal walk up sales is a ground managers dream. Both WA team have people "in the wings" who pay for the right to be in line when someone drops off. See if membership stays up or rises when either side goes bad.

I wonder if you could build some kind of smaller and higher second level above the scoreboard and trees between the two stands in the gap.

So from ground level you still have the hill and scoreboard but there's a floating second level adjoined to the stands either side with maybe 10 or 15 rows of seats.

Would be costly and a difficult engineering challenge but could fit that extra 5-10k that might make it almost perfect capacity.

Really it's very good how it is though. Sell outs for the big games. Access for most other games for more casual fans whilst it's still mostly full.

It's fine for now, I imagine a lot of people are still attending because they haven't seen it yet, heaps of fans want to experience it, even I from Victoria want to get up for a Richmond game at some point to see what it's like. Combine that with the fact that Port are looking like flag contenders and the Crows are at least in the finals hunt, and it's no suprise it's a packed house at the moment. Once the novelty wears off in a few years and the home teams might not be in the best form, I highly doubt it pulls 45k+ each week.

It's an appropriate sized stadium for the teams.

Yes, it's clearly to small.

The afl are embarresed now so they made sure to give us 2 Sunday showdowns

Give it ten years and they will start building a Northern stand to match the Riverbank stand. When completed this will make capacity at 61,000 which would be perfect.

Most people on here arent from sa, to get decent seats you need to buy tickets Sometimes 7-8 weeks in advance.

70K is a bit ridiculous but a showdown/Blockbuster would get 65K.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least extend the Eastern stand right up to the scoreboard, that would make capacity to 58,000 & won't touch the precious scoreboard or silly trees. Best of both worlds.

If you make a stadium too big you decrease ticket revenue and have to lower your prices.

The city of Melbourne has more AFL fans than the other cities but reserved seat membership revenues are crap even for the big clubs because everyone knows they can rock up on the day 99% of the time.

Yes, it's clearly to small.

The afl are embarresed now so they made sure to give us 2 Sunday showdowns
Wait it out, the main attraction this year was that it was a new stadium that was s**t hot, ala Colonial Stadium when it first came out. In 10 years time, see how many people go to a Adelaide vs Melbourne game at AO.

Making the stadium bigger would decrease the profitability of the stadium even further.

And why on earth is that a reason they give you two Sunday showdowns? I'd be quite "embarresed" if I made that idiotic statement.

Having demand exceed capacity is a positive, if they start charging a premium for the better seats. Geelong charge like a wounded bull for their premium seats.

That's a good thing? Where does the profit go from all the over-pricing?

Wait it out, the main attraction this year was that it was a new stadium that was s**t hot, ala Colonial Stadium when it first came out. In 10 years time, see how many people go to a Adelaide vs Melbourne game at AO.

Making the stadium bigger would decrease the profitability of the stadium even further.

And why on earth is that a reason they give you two Sunday showdowns? I'd be quite "embarresed" if I made that idiotic statement.

Nah

We aren't North melbroune we can draw over 30K

Nah

We aren't North melbroune we can draw over 30K
I never said we could get more than you guys. Yes, you can draw over 30,000 people to a game, but in terms of profitability, it would be a dumb move to increase the capacity of Adelaide Oval.

Back