Is Adelaide Oval too small?

Is Adelaide Oval too small?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What type of crowds does the get cricket get? There would be point upgrading if the extra seats would remain empty for 6 months a year.

The MCG doesn't get crowds over 50000 during the cricket anymore apart from Boxing day and day two of the Test unless the poms come.

So not really an argument.

Hopefully the Crows will start overselling the Western Stand and General Admission next season as Port did this season so we will start getting closer to capacity crowds, our best was 50,552 compared to Port's 52,505.

50 to 85k Should be the most for any Stadium in Australia.

You have to account for the times when teams are crap and cant draw crowds as well. No point in having 85k and seeing 30k show up. Look at how awful the MCG looks when it doesn't get anywhere near 50k.

Anything over 85k is wasted.

50 to 85k Should be the most for any Stadium in Australia.

You have to account for the times when teams are crap and cant draw crowds as well. No point in having 85k and seeing 30k show up. Look at how awful the MCG looks when it doesn't get anywhere near 50k.

Anything over 85k is wasted.
Tell that to the 15k you just wiped out of grand final day. Plus ANZAC day.

But there certainly isn't any other Australian city that needs a stadium that big.

But there certainly isn't any other Australian city that needs a stadium that big.

Two games a season and the ANZAC day game has cracked 90k only 6 times in 20 games, hardly a compelling reason.

Western Stand 14000
Southern stand 14000
Eastern stand 19000
Northern seats 3000
Hill 3583
Capacity 53583

14,000 seats or near enough was the capacity when they opened the western stand in November 2010.

Since then they have taken away seats to build the footy broadcast box at the back of the Bradman Pavillion, the coaches boxes and the interchange area.. They have also ripped out a whole lot of seats in the Chappell and Sir Edwin Smith stands and re aligned them and taken away some seats that had become restricted views. I know they increased the standing room area between the 2012-13 cricket season and the 2014 footy season, so Im not sure what the real capicity is there, but it has to be 800-1000 less seats than was availabe when it opened in November 2010 and all the published articles by SACA and the media back then said capacity was 14,,000.

Last edited:
Oh and the OP is a bit like someone who hasnt had a decent hair cut for 15 weeks and is already worrying about the next hair cut after a couple of days growth.

You got the second part right.

SANFL needs money to fund development in SA. If they are just wasting the money giving it to SANFL clubs then perhaps the people of SA need to oust those running the SANFL. Put pressure on your politicians. Unfortunately, they still remain with their finger in the pie.

yes it's too small...I said it from the start. Again they made the oval the same capacity as shitty park where no one wanted to go...you would think they would of made it 60k taking into account the fact that people actually want to go to the football now it is in the city. This whole novelty factor...please...people will always want to go to the footy in Adelaide...there is literally nothing else to do or interesting here.

try getting tickets for finals, showdowns or blockbuster games. Even games with crap teams sell out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Capacity: 53,583
2014 Crows average: 48,046 (1st in the league)
2014 Port average: 44,521 (4th in the league)
2014 lowest crowd: 34,258 (Port v Bulldogs)
2014 50k+ crowds: 9

Now we know the stadium has an open end (see below) that could probably be filled in and take the stadium capacity to 70k. The SACA has said in the past that they will not touch that area because of its historical significance but often when it comes to situations like this money does the talking. The traditional cricket scoreboard could easily be maintained while adding a grandstand. So, is Adelaide Oval too small and should it be upgraded?

1VAKzti.jpg
Think the fig trees are heritage listed and can't be removed

Does anyone know the approximate capacity of each of the 3 stands?
I'm pretty sure it's
East - 18k
South - 18k
West - 13k
North - 3.5k

Western Stand 14000
Southern stand 14000
Eastern stand 19000
Northern seats 3000
Hill 3583
Capacity 53583
Or maybe I could've just read the next page.

A 5.6% chance per year of winning an AFL flag. An 11% chance of appearing in a Grand Final per year. This equates to an average run of 1 Premiership every 18 year and a Grand Final appearance every 9 years.

Look at attendances in recent years in SA - there is no need for a 70k stadium to support the attendances of those two AFL teams. Once the novelty wears off, we'll be back to the recent years' attendances.

That's one the shittest posts I've seen on this board.
You used 2 examples. 2 things that could easily be moved if circumstances were there.
Perth needs a stadium of 70k+ more than Melbourne. There's at least demand there in the home and away season.
What good is having that in Melbourne? It takes manufactured blockbusters to even get there rather than the norm.

And if stadium capacity was only 70k at the G, while we had 70k in Perth, 54k in Adelaide etc. The Grand Final wouldn't be stuck in 1 stadium to begin with, it'd be floating between the cities fairly. So Melbourne then loses 1 of its draws.

Or maybe I could've just read the next page.
Yep Justinpa1 basically has it correct, just the correct figure for the western stand with its adjustments for seating and increasing the standing area I wrote abou, has never been properly confirmed.

I went with yes, mainly because I think 60k would have been about the right size. There was always going to be an uplift in attendance moving to AO. Having said that I imagine they may have done 60k if they were able to make it fit with the current design but perhaps in the end were only able to get the 52-53k in.

I dont think we need a 70k stadium and developing over the Northern end isnt worth it for a 60-65k stadium. So I guess in hindsight it would have been better to be 60k but at the end of the day 53k is fine. If they were able to do 60k with the current design that would have been they way I would have gone.

I loved going to the footy there this year and I know I will always love going there till the day I die. If you haven't been there you need to come and have a look.

Back