Is Adelaide Oval too small?

Is Adelaide Oval too small?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I heard Ports seats are on waiting lists too.

I do know the season tickets in the stands were sold out mid year or so (obviously 3 game standing was more or less available).

Had a colleague at work who had a choice of 3 seats on the entire Western Side when she signed up for a Platinum Membership halfway through.
Geez. How big is she?

Greater Milan has a population of just over 7 million.
The main football stadium the San Siro holds just over 80,000.
It's 2 world famous Soccer Clubs Inter and AC that dwarf any AFL clubs, home games averaged 46k and 43k respectively.

Greater Madrid has a population of 6.5 million.
The main football stadium, the Bernabeu has a capacity of 85,000.
It's 2 world famous Soccer Clubs Real and Athletico, that dwarf any AFL clubs, home games averaged 70k and 46k respectively.

Adelaide's population is 1.3 million. At 53,500, Adelaide Oval is plenty big enough. We ain't ever getting a Grand Final played there.

It's 2 world famous Soccer Clubs Inter and AC that dwarf any AFL clubs, home games averaged 46k and 43k respectively.

It's 2 world famous Soccer Clubs Real and Athletico, that dwarf any AFL clubs, home games averaged 70k and 46k respectively.

Adelaide's population is 1.3 million. At 53,500, Adelaide Oval is plenty big enough. We ain't ever getting a Grand Final played there.

This, create a demand, and charge what you want.

It sucks for the average Joe, but that's the way it works.

Can't see the broke SA Govt upgrading AO in the next decade atleast.

We've already spent so much money on this stadium, I was just trying to be cost effective

That's a fair point, only SA can manage the costs they come up with :)

Ironic given I work in Procurement...

I posted a similar reply in another Adelaide Oval thread. The novelty of the new ground will wear off, and Port and/or the Crows will be crap again one day. But the Adelaide Oval redevelopment simply has not accounted for population growth. Adelaide's population is growing slower than the other capitals, but it's about to tick over to 1.3 million. Adelaide Oval can hold a larger percentage of the city's population than the MCG can of Melbourne's. Our supporter base, however, is not fragmented into ten clubs. I would say at least 80% of the footy-following people in Adelaide barrack for the Crows or Power.

If both clubs are playing like they are now in the year 2030, Adelaide Oval will be sold out for every single game. Yes, it's atmospheric and provides an incentive to get membership, but there will be waiting lists and football is not private entertainment for a certain group of people. When that time comes (and it will come, even if it's the late 30s or early 40s), SA will have to consider its options.

I like the fact that the hill and scoreboard have been retained. I liked the old Adelaide Oval. But rather than go searching for a new stadium location and spending the money building it from scratch, I say build a bigger Riverbank Stand on the hill. They can also make the western grandstand taller for good measure. That should bring the capacity to 65,000 (or even 70,000 if done right). 70,000 would be enough until late this century :p

The end will be filled eventually, but in the meantime there's nothing wrong with a sellout.

Doubt it, those trees are untouchable. And besides, it gives a beautiful and unique look to the ground, and also standing room is awesome.

We need MORE standing room in Australian stadiums, not less. Are they still getting rid of it at Geelong? That'd be a great shame if true. Always good fun there.

Capacity: 53,583
2014 Crows average: 48,046 (1st in the league)
2014 Port average: 44,521 (4th in the league)
2014 lowest crowd: 34,258 (Port v Bulldogs)
2014 50k+ crowds: 9

Now we know the stadium has an open end (see below) that could probably be filled in and take the stadium capacity to 70k. The SACA has said in the past that they will not touch that area because of its historical significance but often when it comes to situations like this money does the talking. The traditional cricket scoreboard could easily be maintained while adding a grandstand. So, is Adelaide Oval too small and should it be upgraded?

1VAKzti.jpg

yes but wait 10 years

Watch a game from the hill and you will understand why this can never happen.

why? too many people standing around, preventing construction?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adelaide Oval hill and scoreboard are iconic in Australian sporting folklore, would be a dreadful shame to ever lose them.

yep, it is sad

a dirt mound is heritage worthy in SA

Atletico plays at a different stadium, holds 54851. Real Madrid used to sell out every game easily, so did Atletico, until the tv rights deals a few years ago meant that games got weird time-slots to accommodate for Asian audiences. A lot of games got pushed back later at night, the bigger teams played more Sunday night/Monday night games and everything turned to shlt.

As for Seria A and the Milan teams, that's another completely different story, but they too were getting much bigger crowds until match fixing and corruption scandals (revelations) hit the league.

Apples and oranges, College football crowds in the States may be a better example (though very different still).

I still think they should expand the Eastern stand and add another section on, to take it to next to the scoreboard (which people in the Eastern stand can't see anyway). This would add another 5000 and take capacity up to 58,500 & still keep the precious hill and trees.

This would be perfect for now as both Port (first time ever) & Crows (first time for about 10 year's) have membership waiting lists.

Unless port is a premiership threat or on a roll every year Adelaide Oval may be to big for them.

lets see how they are doing 5 years in on averages.

Don't get me wrong I love the new oval development and it is awesome for cricket and football but why did we have to do much to it anyway? It was a world class stadium as it was. And it wouldve been perfect as Ports homeground to begin with and the crows couldve stayed in swampland as they all wanted to until they saw how good AO was going to be

Don't get me wrong I love the new oval development and it is awesome for cricket and football but why did we have to do much to it anyway? It was a world class stadium as it was. And it wouldve been perfect as Ports homeground to begin with and the crows couldve stayed in swampland as they all wanted to until they saw how good AO was going to be

It's a better arrangment when you got a cross town rivalry when the rivals are actually... you know, cross town.

In Perth, I wish Freo actually played at Freo Oval, so the derby could be played north and south of the river each year.

They seem to have it right in Sydney and SEQ.

Unless port is a premiership threat or on a roll every year Adelaide Oval may be to big for them.
lets see how they are doing 5 years in on averages.
This is the crowd figures for the top four games at Adelaide Oval. Port are in the top three home games.
52,505 Port Adelaide v Carlton
52,233 Port Adelaide v Hawthorn
50,618 Port Adelaide v Richmond
50,552 Adelaide Crows v Port Adelaide

Watch the possibilities of a larger bank balance and you will see why it will happen.
It's a better arrangment when you got a cross town rivalry when the rivals are actually... you know, cross town.

In Perth, I wish Freo actually played at Freo Oval, so the derby could be played north and south of the river each year.

They seem to have it right in Sydney and SEQ.
And the fact we only have 1 stadium here now for Cricket,AFL and big sporting or music events it seems like it will get very tired quick. One of the main reasons Port supporters hated going to Football Park was it was dressed up in Crows advertising all around it,Crows headquarters, Crows merch shops, their shed for flogging off or whatever they did in it. It just felt off but we the proud few still turned up during the great and poor years,and I would be saying to the lads we should be at Adelaide oval on the hill watching this as we did for the SANFL games

Back