Remove this Banner Ad

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the HS today Beveridge said a couple of key things:

1 - He values ball use in the back half (that sounds wrong but I'll stick with it)
2 - He believes our backline is s**t (or has the most room for improvement as he puts it)

Questions, based on above and below, how do people think our backline looks next year (and assuming we don't draft anybody to slot in straight away)

The ball use is interesting and may spell problems for previous regulars like Picken, JJ and Wood, hurt Talia while helping Fletcher Roberts, Darley and maybe Biggs? Does Picken get the chop by year's end?

Interested if people think J Grant could be a backman?

So: Darley Rough Wood
Murphy Fletch Morris

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...oach-appointment/story-fnp04d70-1227124242051

Can you say what sort of style you want the Bulldogs to play next year and beyond?

LB: As a coach, I always focus on the how to’s — how to be a good side. We are looking to cater for everything in the game. We know there are three phases, and some turnover stuff in between. We are looking for a really rounded approach without focusing on one area or the other. They are interdependent. You can’t be a good defensive side if you don’t use the footy well. If you turn the ball over in the back half, you are very vulnerable.

What area needs the most attention in terms of improvement?

When you look at our squad, there appears to be some real upside in the back end. We can really generate some improvement there. I look at the other two lines and the upside is there, but there is a longer way to go from the back end. If you look at the midfield and the forwards and what they might be able to produce, then performance-wise it is quite exciting. When I look at the back end, they are the same, but we really need to get it going to improve (in that area).

Just posted this in the other thread. Obviously better off in here -

With our backline, I'd have all of Picken, Wood, Moz and Talia (well maybe not Talia yet, but he'd be extremely close) in our starting rotations, but I'm not sure if you can carry that many guys who are limited by foot down there. So the setup I'd be looking for right now is move Picken back to the tagging role, he's one of the best taggers in the league, that also allows Wally to concentrate more on being a pure midfielder (although he can still have a defensive mindset, thats okay) and helping out Libba on the bottom of the packs. Wood can than take the dangerous smalls which I think he is more than capable of, also needs to add a bit more of an attacking element to his game because he definitely has the attributes just maybe didn't use them as much this year, thats the next step in his development for mine. Moz taking 3rd tall (can move onto a tall if our KPDs are getting smashed though), Talia and one of Roughy/Roberts (other one at CHF) taking the talls, of course they are going to get beaten at times but its time for them to stand up now. Biggs, Darley, and Murph providing the run and skills. Feel thats a pretty good mix overall.

Talia and Roberts will need to start getting some game time to develop together. I have a feeling we might see Roughead used as a 2nd Ruck & resting KPP.

Just posted this in the other thread. Obviously better off in here -

With our backline, I'd have all of Picken, Wood, Moz and Talia (well maybe not Talia yet, but he'd be extremely close) in our starting rotations, but I'm not sure if you can carry that many guys who are limited by foot down there. So the setup I'd be looking for right now is move Picken back to the tagging role, he's one of the best taggers in the league, that also allows Wally to concentrate more on being a pure midfielder (although he can still have a defensive mindset, thats okay) and helping out Libba on the bottom of the packs. Wood can than take the dangerous smalls which I think he is more than capable of, also needs to add a bit more of an attacking element to his game because he definitely has the attributes just maybe didn't use them as much this year, thats the next step in his development for mine. Moz taking 3rd tall (can move onto a tall if our KPDs are getting smashed though), Talia and one of Roughy/Roberts (other one at CHF) taking the talls, of course they are going to get beaten at times but its time for them to stand up now. Biggs, Darley, and Murph providing the run and skills. Feel thats a pretty good mix overall.

yeah I was drifting to the backline so thought a thread might be better, we have fwd line afterall.

Agree that might be the outcome for Picken.

Aren't you concerned about Wood and Talia's ball use? (We know Morris' limitations)

Seems like we have a similar backline..

Given Beveridge's views on ball use I reckon we'll only have two ordinary users at any one time. Assume Morris is there, it only leaves one spot for Wood, Talia and Picken.

What do you think of J Grant doing a Roughead and becoming a backman??

Talia and Roberts will need to start getting some game time to develop together. I have a feeling we might see Roughead used as a 2nd Ruck & resting KPP.

Rough may go fwd, in which case another KPD would need to found. Talia worries me with his ball use though. Doesn't look there is anyone else unless you count the Geelong delistee (can't remember his name)

And if Rough goes fwd where does that leave Campbell?

Talia's criminally underrated on this board. He won't just establish himself, he's actually be a very good AFL-standed key defender.
Our key defender issues won't be as significant if he can take that number 1 key defender spot which I'm confident he will this very season with a new coach.

yeah I was drifting to the backline so thought a thread might be better, we have fwd line afterall.

Agree that might be the outcome for Picken.

Aren't you concerned about Wood and Talia's ball use? (We know Morris' limitations)

Seems like we have a similar backline..

Given Beveridge's views on ball use I reckon we'll only have two ordinary users at any one time. Assume Morris is there, it only leaves one spot for Wood, Talia and Picken.

What do you think of J Grant doing a Roughead and becoming a backman??
A little bit concerned I guess but I think they are all capable of playing within their limitations. Morris has been doing it for years and its really not a problem for him, while I've been pretty confident for a while Talia's ball use is improving quite rapidly of course it will never be a strength but I can honestly see it getting better than Moz's. Like Moz he either kicks long to a contest or short to a target and in the VFL over the course of the year he seemed to be getting more and more confident, think I'm alone here but I'm happy with how his disposal is coming along, we won't know anything for sure though until we see him back in the AFL team under more pressure.

Wood, again probably not ideal but he did seem to not panic as much with the ball this year so hopefully he can continue to improve on that, and he offers so much else that he has to stay for mine. Just as long as we are surrounding them with good ball users like Biggs, Murph and Darley I think we'll be ok. Can't underestimate how much a proper game plan will help overall as well, we seemed to have absolutely no direction when exiting the back half last year and I think that puts all the guys under a lot more pressure.

I can see your reasoning behind Grant going back, and who knows maybe it might work but personally I'd probably just prefer to keep him forward. Especially if Crameri is missing a fair chunk of games we are going to need him doing some work up the ground which he is really good at. Also I think the best thing Grant brings to the side is his ridiculous goal sense which would be wasted in the backline, and is also something we really need. Theres a spot in the forward line for him he just has to take it. If by mid season he's still the same old underperforming Jarrad Grant (providing he's had a free run at it, injury wise) then yeah I'd be happy to try it out as a last resort.

Any reason Darley couldn't get some on ball time?
Was working on his defensive work all year in the VFL since he was below avg.
He looks set to become the new murphy (bringing the ball out etc)

Talia's criminally underrated on this board. He won't just establish himself, he's actually be a very good AFL-standed key defender.
Our key defender issues won't be as significant if he can take that number 1 key defender spot which I'm confident he will this very season with a new coach.
Agreed, I can see why people underrate him with no exposed form last year but I think people need to cut him a bit more slack. Like I've said before just look around the league and just about at every team you can find a defender who was labelled an absolute spud of the highest order in his early 20s that has come good in their mid 20s and is now a high quality defender or even AA in some cases. Key defenders really do take time, the fact that Talia, and even Rough and to a lesser extent Fletch have shown so much at AFL level at such a young age bodes really well for the future for mine.

Talia really is a pretty complete package, he's a great size at 195 and a really solid unit, he's more than athletic enough, he's good in the air either marking or spoiling and he has the very rare trait in a KPD that he can rack up disposals. How many 19 year old KPDs have racked up 30 touches in a game before. Only real weakness is his kicking and I feel that is improving quite a bit, again will have to wait and see how it stacks up in a high pressure AFL game next year but I think a few people will be surprised at how much better it is.

Agreed, I can see why people underrate him with no exposed form last year but I think people need to cut him a bit more slack. Like I've said before just look around the league and just about at every team you can find a defender who was labelled an absolute spud of the highest order in his early 20s that has come good in their mid 20s and is now a high quality defender or even AA in some cases

Rance, Mackenzie and Hooker 3 of the best key defenders in the league last are good examples of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd keep Rough down back. When we play well he sets us up beautifully. Had a stinking year though of course. Roberts and Talia can fight for CHB for mine and maybe even Morris' spot down the track. Easy to see Biggs, Darley and Jj getting a few shots at it too in creative roles.

Reading what Bevo has to say it seems he reckons there could be a bit more genuine kpd depth and obviously a lack of skill out of defense. A good test will be seeing how he deals with that. Means we need to be set up well for the get out kick and hug the boundary a bit

Rough makes the move to CHF/2nd ruck spot for me. Personally I believe we just have to find the most capable player to fill this position possible and at the present time Roughy is that player. This means though that huge reliance turns towards Fletch and Talia to fill both the CHB and FB positions. I'd also be looking to draft O.Mcdonald too now at 27 to once again increase our depth. Think that 6 tall/tall-medium defenders is the right number to have on our list (Talia, Roberts, Hamling, Z.Cordy, Morris + O.Mcdonald/Draftee) so if roughy moves forward it means we have to fill his position with a 195+ defender which McDonald fills nicely.

In terms of rebounders, Biggs, Murphy and Wood to get first crack. Not sure about calls for Picken in the middle. I believe bevo will want a better mix of inside and outside mids and adding Picken to our midfield rotation only increases the likelyhood that M.Boyd and co miss out.

Watching the VFL, A Cordy improved greatly with a full season; against some teams could he be strong enough to play deep? as a tall defender against the opposition's tallest forward. Not all of them are strong and he is quite agile for his size and he will struggle to get a role as the second ruckman.

I don't want to see Cordy played anywhere but Ruck. He's 4th in line IMO.

It's interesting to hear the new coaches philosophy. I don't think we really have the right players for it but it will be good to see an attacking half back line again.

Roberts should be able to get some games with this set up.

Yep... Murphy, Roberts and Darley on the half back line is the way to go with the players we have. Darley seems to have a much better defensive game than JJ now.

The benefit of playing Roberts and Talia together for an extended period in a successful VFL environment will be evident and pay divies this year in the senior side. Four interchange and no sub (if that is how it pans out this year) means Roughie could float fwd, back and ruck as required. Have long advocated either of Prudden (if fit and over injuries) or Macrae in the backline and hopefully one or both will get some time there. Pruddens raking and accurate left foot would set a few alight. Hope he gets up fitness wise.

Cordy may struggle without McCartney as coach because he definitely thought Cordy would become a valuable player, but i am yet to be convinced. Will be interesting how he goes with the new coach.

I think it's a long bow to draw that because Beveridge stated in an interview ball use is important that only one of Picken, Wood and Talie will get selected each week. I will beat anything if both fit, Picken and Wood will play round 1

I'm leaning more and more towards the drink moving roughead forward.

I think Talia, Morris and Roberts all start round 1.

Picken back into the midfield. Murphy into the midfield as well. I think he'll put a lot of time into trying to develop Biggs, Darley and wood.

Fb: wood Roberts Morris
Hb: Biggs Talia Darley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back