The Backline - What will happen??

Remove this Banner Ad

hamling???

Interesting to see what role we have in mind for Hamling. At the U18 champs he played as the 2nd ruckman/forward and had a couple good games then. He was basically drafted as a forward/2nd ruck anyway, he has a great leap on him. Perhaps the shift to the back line at Geelong was more for development purposes?

Against GWS was Talia's best game IMO. He was on Tomlinson who barely got a touch and Talia ended up getting over 30 possessions. Won a rising star nomination that day.

Remember that game pretty vividly. Talia did not have an opponent for most of it. GWS pretty much let him run free across half back taking marks with nobody within 10m.

So Bev has come from an extremely successful club in Hawthorn who value kicking more than any club in the competition. If we look at some of the players they have rotated through there recently:
Birchall
Burgoyne
Guerra
Lake
Gibson
Suckling
Mitchell (has played a lot across half back)
and of course
Hodge

Currently the only guy in our backline who you could group with this lot is Murphy. Picken is solid and JJ has his moments but they are by no means dead-eye's. The jury is out on Roughead, but there's been little to suggest that we'll see him striding off half-back hitting targets by foot. Wood breaks lines but his technique and disposal is average at best. We know what we get with Morris but has been somewhat exposed since the likes of Lake, Gilbee, and Hargrave left. Talia can't kick, we all know that. Could he be our lock-down defender? Sure, but not until Morris retires and/or he gets some runs on the board. Roberts looks to have the class, but does he have the strength and speed? Fuller? Who knows? Darley, nice kick and potential murph replacement but needs to do a whole lot more before I'm convinced.

So, it seems pretty clear to me that the backline we have now will be vastly revamped under Beveridge. So what will he do?

Firstly I think Murphy will stay there, and will not move forward like many on here are calling for. His experience and ability to create space will be essential in the learning process of the youngsters and he fits the Hawthorn mould, much the same as Burgoyne.
I think Roberts will get a go. His skills look good and he might be able to match up on a third tall forward.
I can see Dale Morris being phased out slowly. Retirement beckons at the end of 2015 as I can't see him fitting in to future plans.
Wood and JJ to stay down there for experience. Wood just needs another year of regular football having played only 65 games since he was recruited in 2007. He showed last year that he can be an offensive weapon out of the backline and we are sadly short in that area. JJ has potential to play the Gilbee sweeper role but needs to show more composure under fire and improvement in the one-one duals.
Darley is Murph-like but may not get a gig unless he adds another string to his bow.
The jury is still out for me with Roughead. As I've said from day one when they tried to turn him into a backman there is a major flaw with this plan. If the opposition goes small what do you do with him? While people see him as a future captain I can see him as someone we may look at trading in the future unless he can really work on his speed and match it with the full forwards such as Kennedy, Riewoldt etc.
Jongy! Almost forgot him. I think he's more suited on a wing where he can run free and he showed in the VFL that he can use his speed to run and kick a goal or two.

Out of left field I'd like to suggest 2 names. The first is Hunter. When I look at him I see a lot of similarities between him and Guerra. Small left footer's with good evasive skills and a neat left foot. I think Hunter's set shot kicking leaves a fair bit to be desired, but his kicking to a man is right up there.
The second is Redpath. Has the speed and agression of a full-back and is a neat kick. Would need to prove himself while under fire though. Also he may only get to play there when Boyd is playing at full-forward.

So, this is my Beveridge Backline, which most likely won't come to fruition but I had fun thinking about it. I'm thinking of round 20 2015. As I mentioned above I think Morris will be phased out and Picken may spend more time in the midfield to add some grunt and body size to give our young mids a break.

Backs: Hunter Redpath Roughead
Half Backs: Murphy Roberts Wood
Int: Johannisen/Darley

With an eye firmly on the future, we need to pretty much torch our backline of 2014 and start again. The only locks in defensive positions right now are Murphy and Morris, who are both well and truly in the twilight of their careers. The new coach has quite rightly identified our defense as our major concern.

I don't think that Talia will make a high quality AFL defender. Roberts is a big unknown - on exposed form you would not count on him playing more than 50 games in our back 6 (although he may be more suited up forward.) Roughead is not a natural full-back and is well suited only to match up on glacier slow gorillas. The rest have not proven themselves to be worthy of a game in a good side, much less worthy of a place in a premiership contending side.

I am bullish about many of the young guys on our playing list and happy with their development, but not one of those that I'm satisfied with is a defender.

With an eye firmly on the future, we need to pretty much torch our backline of 2014 and start again. The only locks in defensive positions right now are Murphy and Morris, who are both well and truly in the twilight of their careers. The new coach has quite rightly identified our defense as our major concern.

I don't think that Talia will make a high quality AFL defender. Roberts is a big unknown - on exposed form you would not count on him playing more than 50 games in our back 6 (although he may be more suited up forward.) Roughead is not a natural full-back and is well suited only to match up on glacier slow gorillas. The rest have not proven themselves to be worthy of a game in a good side, much less worthy of a place in a premiership contending side.

I am bullish about many of the young guys on our playing list and happy with their development, but not one of those that I'm satisfied with is a defender.
Which is why we got ZCord, Biggs and Hamling and have been strongly linked to Vickers-Willis and a couple of others like Webb who could be used off half back. It's why Oscar McDonald is in our thinking. We have a lot of uncertainty with the defenders and it will interesting to see how Talia and Roberts shape up and what we do with Roughy.

I think we will be trying to bring into the defence guys who can use the ball. Wood can be very dangerous with his run, but his kicking lets him down. While Picko can shut down anyone but like wood can't be relied on to use it well. I reckon Bevo will make some significant changes to the back line make up.

Would love to see Murphy further up the ground and kicking from 70 - 80mtrs into our fwd line.

Hope Talia has a good preseason and can make a real go of it in 2015. Could end up on the trade table if he can't.

No point just leaning on murph for the next couple of years as our only quality ball user back there and then falling in a massive hole when he retires, and the rest of the list is ready to play finals again. Must start to address this in 2015, and for me, that starts with moving the captain into the midfield (where we also happen to lack speed and skill) and give Darley, Boggs etc the reins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why we got ZCord, Biggs and Hamling and have been strongly linked to Vickers-Willis and a couple of others like Webb who could be used off half back. It's why Oscar McDonald is in our thinking. We have a lot of uncertainty with the defenders and it will interesting to see how Talia and Roberts shape up and what we do with Roughy.

I think we will be trying to bring into the defence guys who can use the ball. Wood can be very dangerous with his run, but his kicking lets him down. While Picko can shut down anyone but like wood can't be relied on to use it well. I reckon Bevo will make some significant changes to the back line make up.

I think you are spot on TK. We are going to blow it up and start again mainly with new guys.

No point just leaning on murph for the next couple of years as our only quality ball user back there and then falling in a massive hole when he retires, and the rest of the list is ready to play finals again. Must start to address this in 2015, and for me, that starts with moving the captain into the midfield (where we also happen to lack speed and skill) and give Darley, Boggs etc the reins.

I totally agree on Murphy. Great ball use on the spread is something we definitely lack. Losing Higgins and Cooney (despite their flaws) has lessened our stocks in that area.

Many a young player had their confidence destroyed by being made to sink or swim on the last line of defense. I remember Rocca putting a very young Dawson to the sword and ruined him for two years. However, think the club also needs a transition plan for Morris' retirement. He may not be there in 2016 and I would rather see another 12 -15 games in Talia, Roberts, Darley and Hamling in a developing back line than watching the same war battered bodies get cut up in the last quarter each week to placate supporters demanding success from April, 2015.

I haven't seen much of Biggs. Is he a wingman, or a rebounding defender?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see why we would like Murph playing mid/half forward, but my worry is two fold.

1. Can he handle the load these days?

2. Can the guys talked about as possible replacements bring what Murph does to the Backline. He's the only silk we have there. Biggs looks to have the game and Darley while skilled is not yet a great offensive weapon. Zcord maybe steps up and the other drafted guys you never know could slot in straight up. Vickers-Willis looks ready to go, as does Webb, but it's a big ask of 1st year guys to replace what Murph brings. I expect an overhaul of the defense but I am not sure Murphy can be part of it.

I can see why we would like Murph playing mid/half forward, but my worry is two fold.

1. Can he handle the load these days?

2. Can the guys talked about as possible replacements bring what Murph does to the Backline. He's the only silk we have there. Biggs looks to have the game and Darley while skilled is not yet a great offensive weapon. Zcord maybe steps up and the other drafted guys you never know could slot in straight up. Vickers-Willis looks ready to go, as does Webb, but it's a big ask of 1st year guys to replace what Murph brings. I expect an overhaul of the defense but I am not sure Murphy can be part of it.
That reliance on murph is exactly why we need to move him IMO. The reliance is out of control, unhealthy and a dangerous hole in our list when he eventually retires.

That reliance on murph is exactly why we need to move him IMO. The reliance is out of control, unhealthy and a dangerous hole in our list when he eventually retires.

Yeah I agree but we also have that same reliance on Morris. But to move Murphy or Morris out because of it seems counter productive. I think we need to be developing guys to replace them both, and especially with Murph because Dale can't really play anywhere else. I can see Murph having games mid/forward and games being got into Biggs and Darley and the drafted kids. I just don't know if we can cope with him not there at all. But agree we must get games into these other guys and at times let them find their feet because Murph and Morris won't be there much longer.

i'd want murphs where he is..... half back. Now the captain, its part his job to get the back line, and half back line functioning. The mids and forwards are in development. We've had the same backline for 2-3 years and it hasnt functioned. Get that right our mids and forwards will get it easier than has been the case last few seasons. Im leaning to getting jong back with murphs biggs morris hamling. Get more controlled movemet out of the back to give our mids and forwards opporutnity. Control the ball and stop bombing it to the wing and goal square.

Let's not forget Wood plays tall( I know it's a well used cliche, but it's true) . The backline lacks depth to be honest, and needs quality ( something pick 26 onwards won't give you) Roughy still for full back for me . I'm still confident he'll get there. We need desperately and I mean desperately, Roberts and Talia to push through

Your post sums up my concerns quite well Mutt. I've heard Cordy and Hamling's names being thrown around as our saviors down in the backline? Zaine's a tad undersized for throwing the KPD tag on him at this stage and Hamling is a delisted player from another club, I'm a realist on what we'll get out of him. We've got Roberts and Talia coming through and both are completely unproven at the top level. It is a major concern considering how awful or back half was in 2014. I would have liked to at least gone for another tall defender out of the 5 selections on Thursday.

Your post sums up my concerns quite well Mutt. I've heard Cordy and Hamling's names being thrown around as our saviors down in the backline? Zaine's a tad undersized for throwing the KPD tag on him at this stage and Hamling is a delisted player from another club, I'm a realist on what we'll get out of him. We've got Roberts and Talia coming through and both are completely unproven at the top level. It is a major concern considering how awful or back half was in 2014. I would have liked to at least gone for another tall defender out of the 5 selections on Thursday.

We need to see what we do with the rookie list, but I think regardless there is no quick fix available (and there wouldn't have been in the draft either) for us if Roughy, Talia or Roberts don't stand up big time this year. It's why my suspicion is that we will once again target a good KP defender from another club next year.

We need to see what we do with the rookie list, but I think regardless there is no quick fix available (and there wouldn't have been in the draft either) for us if Roughy, Talia or Roberts don't stand up big time this year. It's why my suspicion is that we will once again target a good KP defender from another club next year.

100% agree TK. I can't see a quick fix unless Talia and Roberts or Hamling come on very quickly.

We used to have bloke down there called Dale Morris. Wasn't a bad player either. You have no room for him?

HORRID brain fade by me! - Good work on picking that up haha!

Lets go with:
Biggs Roughead Morris
Darley Roberts/Talia Wood

Murphy to go to HF.

Better? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back