News Richmond turns to Geelong's long-time leadership guru

Remove this Banner Ad

TigersMan4

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
RICHMOND has appointed the man who helped facilitate Geelong's 2007 turnaround that ended in premiership glory, leadership consultant Gerard Murphy.

Murphy, a Leading Teams founder and highly credentialed consultant who worked with the Cats periodically from the first of their three premiership years until the end of last season, started at Punt Road last week.

He will work with the club's players and coaches as a part-time consultant and will assist in the assembly of the 2015 leadership group.

more: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-18/tigers-to-follow-cats-lead

I think this is a great move by the club.

Not sure how to bag the club about this appointment, but i'm sure some of you will show me how.

discuss

more: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-18/tigers-to-follow-cats-lead

I think this is a great move by the club.

Not sure how to bag the club about this appointment, but i'm sure some of you will show me how.

discuss
Terrific news and it would be great to see Campbell back as well
Still remember when were in a dump near Wallets end he had a chat with us at Coburg and said with a steely look in his eyes ," I will get this club back to the top if it kills me . I'm sick of the rfc being a basket case ". We all shook his hands and i said "mate with the look in your eyes you mean business and thanks for the confidence.god bless you Wayne I know you will do it."
Love the bloke and his hearts in the right spot
A no nonsense man who bleeds yellow and black

Last edited:

not a fan of leading teams, hopefully we have enough internal leadership already in place to make this work, and not implode like the doggies and dees did

Agree mate , but I think we have lost out since Campbell left
It is a bonus to us and I'm not bitching so it must be ok

dont disagree on campbell. he was loathed by most here, but he was a smart cookie.

as Ive posted elsewhere, for every glory story Ive heard on Leading Teams, Ive heard a horror story. places with poor internal culture, weak leaders, and so on tend to go all "Lord of the Flies", as weak leaders use the LT tools to expand their power over others (as we saw at the dogs).

FWIW we are a league away from where we were 5 years ago on this regard, where we did have player factions and splits in the group. Just hoping we don't implode.....

not a fan of leading teams, hopefully we have enough internal leadership already in place to make this work, and not implode like the doggies and dees did
"Although he was a founding director of leadership organisation Leading Teams, he isn't bringing in that model and will consult independently."

I had the same concerns as you, but it seems to be a more loose leadership consulting gig instead of an implementation of a rigorous program.

As stated this isn't leading teams or their model.

thats just because LT own the IP on their program, it has to be different to avoid him creating a conflict.

reality is it will be based around LT principles because thats what he believes in

dont disagree on campbell. he was loathed by most here, but he was a smart cookie.

as Ive posted elsewhere, for every glory story Ive heard on Leading Teams, Ive heard a horror story. places with poor internal culture, weak leaders, and so on tend to go all "Lord of the Flies", as weak leaders use the LT tools to expand their power over others (as we saw at the dogs).

FWIW we are a league away from where we were 5 years ago on this regard, where we did have player factions and splits in the group. Just hoping we don't implode.....
Agree,but in this department I think we were deficient in and I can only see this as a positive and with the likelihood of Newman dropping off we need to get leadership skills in the next tier. As long as it doesn't become a wankfest it will be advantageous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is still different so any worry about LT's isn't a problem.

how different? a continental cheesecake may not be a baked cheesecake, but its still loaded with sugar and fat

Agree,but in this department I think we were deficient in and I can only see this as a positive and with the likelihood of Newman dropping off we need to get leadership skills in the next tier. As long as it doesn't become a wankfest it will be advantageous

don't disagree with most of that, and agree we need to do more on leadership development. just worried about bringing the LT ideals into our club

don't disagree with most of that, and agree we need to do more on leadership development. just worried about bringing the LT ideals into our club
It's the least of my worries with this appointment as the club is investing in an area where we have been deficient in
Lets play this one by ear

how different? a continental cheesecake may not be a baked cheesecake, but its still loaded with sugar and fat
If it is actually IP then he cant use it(programs), therefore it has to be different at least in their programs. Of course there will be similar stuff as well(general leadership methodology). I get what you saying about the programs and the confronting nature of it all. Im not sure it wrong for us by the way. Incidently how do you know it is the same?

"There will be a bit to do with the team-based performance side of things with regards to dealing with pressure, staying calm in big occasions, all that sort of stuff."

Liked this part. In other words they're recognising that we are mentally weak in finals and other big games such as the Hafey tribute and every game against Carlton and Collingwood + dreamtime.

If it is actually IP then he cant use it(programs), therefore it has to be different at least in their programs. Of course there will be similar stuff as well(general leadership methodology). I get what you saying about the programs and the confronting nature of it all. Im not sure it wrong for us by the way. Incidently how do you know it is the same?

It's impossible to not train to the same idea, but it's using the program outline and the program materials that would cause an ip conflict. As long as you name it something else, and use independent mats, you could effectively be the same.

I don't know, but let me ask you this. The leading teams people are passionate and obsessed about the program and its perceived success. You really think one of the key people behind that is abandoning that when he works solo? His business card may change, but you can't change what a person believes.

It's impossible to not train to the same idea, but it's using the program outline and the program materials that would cause an ip conflict. As long as you name it something else, and use independent mats, you could effectively be the same.

I don't know, but let me ask you this. The leading teams people are passionate and obsessed about the program and its perceived success. You really think one of the key people behind that is abandoning that when he works solo? His business card may change, but you can't change what a person believes.

I could not have said it better myself rfctiger74 . I organised a training program for the employees I manage, it worked well for a period of time. A couple of years later I tried another organisation, low and behold, same trainer, same message but different name and ice breakers. :eek:
This appointment at Richmond will bear fruit by the results on the field. It's nice if the players become better citizens of society, but as members and supporters we want the team to stand up in the big moments during games, to win finals and not say we have learnt from those experiences when they failed. It would be a lot better for the club and players to speak the message that they need to perform when it matters and by their actions will prove their worth.
The players as a whole are mentally weak and the entire football community know it.
It good to see the club recognise our weakness and are doing something about it.

Last edited:
thats just because LT own the IP on their program, it has to be different to avoid him creating a conflict.

reality is it will be based around LT principles because thats what he believes in

your more than likely right rfctiger74 , but my guess is that being in that kind of consultancy both he & the organisation would have received feedback regarding both positive & Negative outcomes from their gigs & would have been very motivated to respond. I think otherwise their program would have gone to the Dogs (pun unintended). Seems the club would not have likely called this person in unless they heard a pitch from Him & were confident that he could bring something that adds in a positive way (but I'm only guessing really)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back