Sam Mengola 31
Kane Lambert 31*
Cameron Guthrie 30
Tom Stewart 30
Jeremy Cameron 30

Dion Prestia 30
Tom Lynch 30
Nathan Broad 30

That there is a list of the players on our & the Cats list on players 30+. I have also included players in our list that were part of our dynasty era & have had to retire due to health or personal issues.

The list is interesting and shows us why our window shut much sooner than theirs & how a lot of that needs to be directed towards the medical teams. How have Geelong been able to get so many extra years from their older players whereas all ours have burnt out?

Tom Hawkins still looks fitter than Tom Lynch even though he is 5 years older. Dangerfield doesn;t require being "managed" in key games despite being the same age as Cotchin & older than Dusty & Prestia.

Our blokes have not aged well We have a number of players like Astbury, Rance, Lambert who are now retired and younger than several cats still performing at a high level. I understand that winning flags is like fighting many wars, but i find it hard to believe that Geelong have not had a similar path and should be suffering from the same problems. Even Selwood in his final year was able to play 21 games and not really have too much in regards to time restrictions etc.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Joel Selwood 35*
Tom Hawkins 35
Isaac smith 34

Jack Riewoldt 34
Shane Edwards 34*
Robbie Tarrant 34*

Zach Toohey 33
Patrick Dangerfield 33

Trent Cotchin 33
Alex Rance 33*

Rhys Stanley 32
Jon Ceglar 32
Mark Bliclavs 32
Gary Rohan 32
Mitchell Duncan 32

Dustin Martin 32
Dylan Grimes 32
David Astbury 32*
Marlion Pickett 31

Sam Mengola 31
Kane Lambert 31*
Cameron Guthrie 30
Tom Stewart 30
Jeremy Cameron 30

Dion Prestia 30
Tom Lynch 30
Nathan Broad 30

That there is a list of the players on our & the Cats list on players 30+. I have also included players in our list that were part of our dynasty era & have had to retire due to health or personal issues.

The list is interesting and shows us why our window shut much sooner than theirs & how a lot of that needs to be directed towards the medical teams. How have Geelong been able to get so many extra years from their older players whereas all ours have burnt out?

Tom Hawkins still looks fitter than Tom Lynch even though he is 5 years older. Dangerfield doesn;t require being "managed" in key games despite being the same age as Cotchin & older than Dusty & Prestia.

Our blokes have not aged well We have a number of players like Astbury, Rance, Lambert who are now retired and younger than several cats still performing at a high level. I understand that winning flags is like fighting many wars, but i find it hard to believe that Geelong have not had a similar path and should be suffering from the same problems. Even Selwood in his final year was able to play 21 games and not really have too much in regards to time restrictions etc.
So both lists are of a similar age and both coming to the end of their window. Cats won one flag compared to our 3.

Well just for starters...and not taking into account any other factors...
We were at the top or near the top of the Ladder for 4 years...2017, 2018, 2019, 2020...and out of those four years we won three GF's...
There's a physical toll on our players right there...to be the best for four years in a row...with a competition of 18 Football Teams.
And no rumours of a Dank juicing up our players to perform...

So both lists are of a similar age and both coming to the end of their window. Cats won one flag compared to our 3.

Cats won 1 flag, last year, and are still competing at a high level

The Cats players are older, lasting longer and playing better than our list that is actually quite a bit younger and have less games under their belt in most cases

Well just for starters...and not taking into account any other factors...
We were at the top or near the top of the Ladder for 4 years...2017, 2018, 2019, 2020...and out of those four years we won three GF's...
There's a physical toll on our players right there...to be the best for four years in a row...with a competition of 18 Football Teams.
And no rumours of a Dank juicing up our players to perform...

We were on top for 4 years.

this is the cats last 17 years. Made finals every year. Finished top 4 FOURTEEN times out of 17 ( talking Ladder )

2007 - 1sy
2008 - 1st
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 2nd
2011 - 2nd
2012 - 6th
2013 - 2nd
2014 - 2nd
2015 - 2nd
2016 - 2nd
2017 - 2nd
2018 - 8th
2019 - 1st
2020 - 4th
2021 - 3rd
2022 - 1st
2023 - Currently 8th

We have to give credit where its due, they have been on top using & building off the same core of players. We need to look at our opponents who are doing it better and try to learn. Being on top is a work in progress for Richmond. This is not the time to for us to be arrogant and yap on about our 3 flags - its time to be humble, learn and grow

Oh a
We were on top for 4 years.

this is the cats last 17 years. Made finals every year. Finished top 4 FOURTEEN times out of 17 ( talking Ladder )

2007 - 1sy
2008 - 1st
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 2nd
2011 - 2nd
2012 - 6th
2013 - 2nd
2014 - 2nd
2015 - 2nd
2016 - 2nd
2017 - 2nd
2018 - 8th
2019 - 1st
2020 - 4th
2021 - 3rd
2022 - 1st
2023 - Currently 8th

We have to give credit where its due, they have been on top using & building off the same core of players. We need to look at our opponents who are doing it better and try to learn. Being on top is a work in progress for Richmond. This is not the time to for us to be arrogant and yap on about our 3 flags - its time to be humble, learn and grow
Oh and the persistent rumours of Dank juicing up the players in their GF years...?!? I guess we just missed out!

Oh a

Oh and the persistent rumours of Dank juicing up the players in their GF years...?!? I guess we just missed out!

Don't worry, i post this with that a bit in mind.

I was only watching Dodgeball last night & its like Lance Armstrong in that movie, bragging about how he got 2 types of cancer at once and came back to win 5 Tour De Frances. Sure, he did it - but how? We only found out LATER on the how

Is Geelong doing this legit? if so, how - we must learn it? But it seems wild they have been able to allow all their old players to age like Craig Bradley.

Geelong are the only team who has managed to stay on top. Everyone else has had to bottom out. Weird to compare us. The club is on record saying we want to emulate their success and stay in finals year on year.

Don't worry, i post this with that a bit in mind.

I was only watching Dodgeball last night & its like Lance Armstrong in that movie, bragging about how he got 2 types of cancer at once and came back to win 5 Tour De Frances. Sure, he did it - but how? We only found out LATER on the how

Is Geelong doing this legit? if so, how - we must learn it? But it seems wild they have been able to allow all their old players to age like Craig Bradley.
Of course they have been able to age all their older players...to the Craig Bradley vintage...cos they can play their home games on a sub standard bicycle velodrome they call a football Oval...A so called football oval not up to AFL standards....its smaller and takes less physical toll on their players.
Through in home ground advantage bias and favourable umpiring...of course their older players are doing it tough not...

The Cats players are older, lasting longer and playing better than our list that is actually quite a bit younger and have less games under their belt in most cases
So are Port...Doggies...Swans...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly if you can't see our aging players are struggling and gone you must be in fairyland time to move on put the club first not this bs will leave it up to them make the hard calls.

I am all in on the club making whatever hard calls it needs to make. I worry they are not prepared to make them tho

Teams recruit a certain type of player to suit their game plan.

Geelong had their footy manager turned CEO engineer about 15 rules over 3 years to suit their game plan and therefore their list.

Those same rules were designed to attack the game style of the team that stopped them winning premierships, Richmond.

So the game was engineered to became easier for their list and harder for ours.

To be fair they did have Dank down at the cattery, never investigated and I’m sure they learnt some s**t

Geelong have done it better than everyone, not just Richmond. Geelong are the outlier.
Again the scats the outlier , they had Dank there in 07/08/09 they were never investigated and do you’re ion they learnt nothing in those years?

Teams recruit a certain type of player to suit their game plan.

Geelong had their footy manager turned CEO engineer about 15 rules over 3 years to suit their game plan and therefore their list.

Those same rules were designed to attack the game style of the team that stopped them winning premierships, Richmond.

So the game was engineered to became easier for their list and harder for ours.
Yeah but we have spent the last 3 seasons bitching and moaning about it rather than changing our game plan or list to suit the changed rules.

How many trades we done? Could have traded Graham last year. McIntosh the year before
And brought Banks and Sonsie into the team but no.

1 finals game in 3 years .... that is on us!

Last edited:
Yeah but we have spent the last 3 seasons bitching and moaning about rather than changing our game plan or list to suit the changed rules.

How many trades we done? Could have traded Graham last year. McIntosh the year before
And brought Banks and Sonsie into the team but no.

1 finals game in 3 years .... that is on us!

Loop Roll Up GIF

Whats wrong with this picture?

Joel Selwood 35*
Tom Hawkins 35
Isaac smith 34

Jack Riewoldt 34
Shane Edwards 34*
Robbie Tarrant 34*

Zach Toohey 33
Patrick Dangerfield 33

Trent Cotchin 33
Alex Rance 33*

Rhys Stanley 32
Jon Ceglar 32
Mark Bliclavs 32
Gary Rohan 32
Mitchell Duncan 32

Dustin Martin 32
Dylan Grimes 32
David Astbury 32*
Marlion Pickett 31

Sam Mengola 31
Kane Lambert 31*
Cameron Guthrie 30
Tom Stewart 30
Jeremy Cameron 30

Dion Prestia 30
Tom Lynch 30
Nathan Broad 30

it was our relentless game style that aged our players. we were mean and fast.

like Lance Armstrong in that movie, bragging about how he got 2 types of cancer at once and came back to win 5 Tour De Frances. Sure, he did it - but how? We only found out LATER on the how
Yes, but everyone else was on the EPO too, he was just better, or badder?

Last edited:

They played keepings off for about 8 years of their careers. Our players played footy trench warfare style. They won everything 3 times over and your suggested reward for that is to sack every campaigner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back