Melbourne Public Transport

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs more suburban lines and a ring line.

Public transport's lobby is miniscule compared to cars and trucks so this will never happen.

Since they, like any good drug dealer, decided that once we were nice and dependent on cheap weekend public transport it would be a really incredibly awesome idea to jack up the price.

I miss me Sunday Saver fares:(

First time I noticed the jump in the fare, boo. :thumbsdown:

Just got back from overseas and forgot to take my Myki card for the return journey.

Had to buy another, and lucky i did as i was checked by metro scum.

Eat a dick PTV.
You can blame the current lot for that one. They were the ones who got rid of the short term ticket.

Larger populations etc etc but sheesh, having spent time in London, Paris & Rome last month, Melb PT and VLine can both GAGF.
The metro in Rome is great, never waited more than 1 minuto for a train but to be fair it's 2 completely separate lines that meet at one station. Not that hard for it to run smoothly.

No complaints from me in terms of my accessibility to things. I'm near a station which gets a 6-7 minute service in peak hour, and near the 59 (Airport West), which is a good, fast tram aside from the bottleneck at Moonee Ponds Junction; and the 57 (West Maribyrnong), which is less useful because it takes forever winding its way through the back streets of North Melbourne.

Also got the 82 nearby should I wish to go to Footscray, or Highpoint.

Much better than the Upfield line that I grew up on- it had a 20 minute peak service frequency until recently, and the 'improvement' they delivered a couple of years ago was as token as they come- it went to an 18 minute frequency.

The biggest weakness with Melbourne's public transport system is service to new outer areas, and the fact that the rail system is basically like the spokes of a wheel- cross lines are non-existent.

Hell, there are only two tram routes which don't go via the city too.

Loads of buses go cross city, however. There are some bizarre routes. Eltham to Glenroy along Bell St. Altona to Mordialloc. And the magnificent 901 airport bus to Frankston that takes 4 1/2 hours and travels via Epping and South Morang and Jebus knows where else.

I caught the bus to Garden City one time just to find out where Garden City was. It was pretty dark when I arrived but I seemed to be somewhere around Fisherman's Bend? I walked around for a while and caught the next bus home. It had a milk bar. The suburb, not the bus. Although the idea of milk bars on buses is appealing.

Loads of buses go cross city, however. There are some bizarre routes. Eltham to Glenroy along Bell St. Altona to Mordialloc. And the magnificent 901 airport bus to Frankston that takes 4 1/2 hours and travels via Epping and South Morang and Jebus knows where else.
Eltham to Glenroy is the 513- I once took that one regularly. Its usefulness is that it connects with so many busy railway stations and goes on a main arterial.

The 903 is the Altona to Mordialloc. I wonder if anyone's ever been silly enough to take it from one end to the other.

The 903 is the Altona to Mordialloc. I wonder if anyone's ever been silly enough to take it from one end to the other.

I've taken it from Preston to Sunshine and that's enough for me - it took ages

I've taken it from Preston to Sunshine and that's enough for me - it took ages
Coburg to Doncaster for me.

Buses do provide cross city transport, but they just tend to extremely unreliable or non-existent in the evenings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eltham to Glenroy is the 513- I once took that one regularly. Its usefulness is that it connects with so many busy railway stations and goes on a main arterial.

When it used to be the 700 I took it from Box Hill to Mentone a couple of times and I thought that was well and truly long enough already. Can't imagine why anyone would, especially considering you could get 2 trains in probably a quarter of the time.

When it used to be the 700 I took it from Box Hill to Mentone a couple of times and I thought that was well and truly long enough already. Can't imagine why anyone would, especially considering you could get 2 trains in probably a quarter of the time.
Yeah. Sounds like the sort of thing that only a bus buff would bother with.

It ain't in the slightest bit practical, that is for sure.

Yeah. Sounds like the sort of thing that only a bus buff would bother with.

It ain't in the slightest bit practical, that is for sure.
If I was really hungover or something and couldn't be ****ed changing trains maybe. Just go to sleep and set an alarm for 5 hours time or something.

.... the magnificent 901 airport bus to Frankston that takes 4 1/2 hours and travels via Epping and South Morang and Jebus knows where else.

Have caught this bus twice from the airport when I've been too stingy to fork out for the skybus -

Get off at Broadmeadows station - catch the train to North Melbourne - walk home to Fitzroy...

Takes a lot longer but $3 beats $18 :thumbsu: -

also have only done this when I've had a single backpack for luggage

Speaking of long pt routes. I ran some fun run in the city on a Sunday morning and the starting time was before the first train started up for the day. Trams however kicked in earlier so caught the tram in from the end of the line at Carnegie. Talk about an excruciating journey for what km wise is not a long trip. I think it goes right through to Melbourne uni that tram, I can only imagine how much worse it would be during the week, probably take an hour and a half to travel like 10km in peak hour.

Have caught this bus twice from the airport when I've been too stingy to fork out for the skybus -

Get off at Broadmeadows station - catch the train to North Melbourne - walk home to Fitzroy...

Takes a lot longer but $3 beats $18 :thumbsu: -

also have only done this when I've had a single backpack for luggage
I chauffeured a lot of friends and family to/from the airport when I first got my licence and didn't mind any excuse to go for a drive and it's earned me plenty of reciprocal pick up/drop off rights. I fully suggest it. I'd hate to step off a back of the clock long haul flight and have to sort out getting myself home.

I've given way more lifts / picked people up from the airport than I've ever received myself... I'm not very good at asking people to pick me up and I'm even worse at saying 'no' to other requests... and I don't even own a car and I still find myself doing it alot...

Just read about free tram travel around the CBD from next year. Also, people who travel zone 1 + 2 will only be charged the zone 1 price ($5 saving for full fare ddaily).

FreeTramZone_800x540.jpg

The route 903 bus is great if you want to go to Doncaster or Chadstone shopping centres and live in the Western or Northern suburbs. I catch it from Coburg to Chadstone and it takes about two hours which is better than catching the train to Huntingdale Station and getting on the 903 bus there anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back