Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a little under 3 days to draft time Jack Package, who would you be going with at 17 & 20?

Im leaning to what you mentioned last week that it will no doubt be someone completely off our radar (or down the BigFooty phantom board rankings) like a Cavka, Blakely, Gore.

Would not be adversed to get a guy like Paul Ahearn whose been ranked fairly highly all year

Not necessarily, it could just be that they rightly don't want to draft 2 similar sort of players (So you'd say Ahern, Duggan, Weller and Garlett are similar sort of players for example, and it would be bad for balance to take 2 despite them all being very talented).

Could be we're after one of that type and a tall, could be one of that type and then someone with a more inside leaning midfield game (De Goey/Blakely/Ellis), maybe more of an x-factor type like Langford, Lamb or Cockatoo and obviously it's always possible that we do take a tall if we can.

Don't think he's giving anything away really
Weller, Ahern and Duggan are likely to be gone by our pick and we've put a lot of work into Garlett so I'm fairly certain that if Weller and Ahern aren't available we will choose Garlett. We already have a plethora of inside mids, and De Goey and possibly Ellis won't be available. Langford and Cockatoo definitely won't be available, personally I hope we pass on Lamb because of his mental fragility. Garlett adds some much needed outside speed at 17 and seems a logical pick, whilst I can't see Mckenzie becoming a flop because he will never get the best defender and is incredibly strong for his age whilst also having a great burst of pace. Getting Mckenzie will also allow us to put Carlisle down back, where he belongs. Having a spine of Mckenzie Daniher Carlisle Hooker and 3rd tier talls in Ambrose and Hurley will set us up for at least the next 5 years.

With a little under 3 days to draft time Jack Package, who would you be going with at 17 & 20?

Im leaning to what you mentioned last week that it will no doubt be someone completely off our radar (or down the BigFooty phantom board rankings) like a Cavka, Blakely, Gore.

Would not be adversed to get a guy like Paul Ahearn whose been ranked fairly highly all year

It's very dependent on who's there as disco said, but I'll go Langford and Blakely just for shits and gigs.

That isn't the point. The issue is that there is a perception that many indigenous kids are not being drafted at all due to clubs thinking the risk is too great because proportionally they are more likely that white kids to have personal issues that make adapting to a high pressure AFL environment difficult.

For the purposes of drafting everybody is a commodity with an associated risk and reward. Manipulating the level of risk is exactly how you change clubs' drafting behaviours to meet a goal (such as getting more talented indigenous youth into the AFL).

When you get a Dom Barry walking away then clubs will have concerns - Four years schooling at a Metropolitan school, then drafted by Melbourne - So in affect 6 years out of his culture. And still wanted to go back.

Clem Smith is an interesting case - Basically fostered himself out to a friends family after escaping from a dysfunctional family - Apparently sporadic contact with family - I have no doubt this will increase when Smith plays AFL - Smith will need to be strong.

When you get a Dom Barry walking away then clubs will have concerns - Four years schooling at a Metropolitan school, then drafted by Melbourne - So in affect 6 years out of his culture. And still wanted to go back.

Clem Smith is an interesting case - Basically fostered himself out to a friends family after escaping from a dysfunctional family - Apparently sporadic contact with family - I have no doubt this will increase when Smith plays AFL - Smith will need to be strong.

Dom Barry is comparable to Tom Swift and Nathan Ablett in reasons for leaving.

You could argue this no problem - The bigger issue is that the AFL community have been trying to get Aboriginal teenagers from remote communities into the cities, via educational scholarships to ease the transition into professional sport - This is why Dom Barry is a worry.

Not necessarily, it could just be that they rightly don't want to draft 2 similar sort of players (So you'd say Ahern, Duggan, Weller and Garlett are similar sort of players for example, and it would be bad for balance to take 2 despite them all being very talented).

Could be we're after one of that type and a tall, could be one of that type and then someone with a more inside leaning midfield game (De Goey/Blakely/Ellis), maybe more of an x-factor type like Langford, Lamb or Cockatoo and obviously it's always possible that we do take a tall if we can.

Don't think he's giving anything away really

Dodoro did also say predominantly they had 20 players ranked in order

I like how he talks of intelligence, like sending a mole into other clubs with a moustache and glasses to smoke out their picks. Then you get leak and counter leak....when you read of a club right into a player or putting huge work into, it must be to throw the scent off another! They aren't that dumb are they?

Seems important for Carlton, they are sandwiched between our picks and we require similar players, interesting to see if they are trying to force us to use 17 on a player by feining interest so we leave their man. Reckon they want either lamb or marchbank but need to send us another way...

Haven't watched any highlights or much of the U18 carnival that took place, but I always get excited this time of the year. It's the optimism and hope that we're going to land the next Fyfe, another Heppell, pick a player out of relative obscurity and have him become a pivotal component in our push for another premiership. I'll back in the recruiters to secure us two quality youngsters - whoever they may be.

Sorry to intrude guys but thought I could give you some info on Charles Lill. He plays for my local A Grade amateur club here in WA and he is a serious talent. He is by far the best young player I have seen in 22 years of my time at the club.
The question you might ask is why is he not playing WAFL? Well he is also a talented cricketer and has been unsure of the path he wishes to take. If Essendon take him I guess that decision will be made for him.
I am not a draft expert and I do not know exactly what club are looking for but I know he is a seriously good footballer but there is a very large gap between A grade amateurs and AFL of course. Good family and great kid. My honest opinion is he needs to play some WAFL league footy first but that is not how AFL clubs look at things now. I hope it works out for Charles and for the Bombers if this happens. All the best guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be like that. We are commenting on the footage on the highlights package. FWIW blind freddy could tell you missing a handball target by 2 metres isn't good.

This is the trade and drafting thread, perhaps offer up something worthwhile rather than attack posters who are commenting.

You judge guys that size more like you'd judge a horse. It's pretty much all about physical presentation.

If I had to guess the purpose of the tape is to show that he's 210cm and more or less moves with the coordination and agility or someone 200cm.

At that size he's never going to be a decent footballer until his muscle mass and general fitness base catches up with his frame.

Last edited:
Clearly we have a scout deep in the west that is not only finding the top end talent but the kommers howletts, and now even deeper.

I 'recall sheedy bemoaning the fact freo/wce were accessing all this untapped talent and demanded we put money into it.

success story.

Sorry to intrude guys but thought I could give you some info on Charles Lill. He plays for my local A Grade amateur club here in WA and he is a serious talent. He is by far the best young player I have seen in 22 years of my time at the club.
The question you might ask is why is he not playing WAFL? Well he is also a talented cricketer and has been unsure of the path he wishes to take. If Essendon take him I guess that decision will be made for him.
I am not a draft expert and I do not know exactly what club are looking for but I know he is a seriously good footballer but there is a very large gap between A grade amateurs and AFL of course. Good family and great kid. My honest opinion is he needs to play some WAFL league footy first but that is not how AFL clubs look at things now. I hope it works out for Charles and for the Bombers if this happens. All the best guys.

Thanks.

What sort of player is he?

Size and weight?

Thanks.

What sort of player is he?

Size and weight?

He is about 6ft 1", I would guess about 80kg??
Reads the game very well, has very high skill level on both sides of his body. Seems to be one of those players that just is in the right spot most of the time. Does not look fast but always seems to be clear of his opponents. Has played CHB in amatuers but at higher levels he will be a HB or wing type of player I would think. Very good mark also.
One has to remember though this is all judged only on A Grade amateur level so perspective has to be considered. But he is an impressive kid. Hope that helps mate.

It's a little bit different - Tom Swift left to focus on his medical career as a doctor. Nathan Ablett had the media hounding his family when he was little and he never enjoyed the spotlight, demand and pressure from the top level as a result of this. Nevertheless he departed a premiership player.

It's a little bit different - Tom Swift left to focus on his medical career as a doctor. Nathan Ablett had the media hounding his family when he was little and he never enjoyed the spotlight, demand and pressure from the top level as a result of this. Nevertheless he departed a premiership player.

I think that's quite similar.

I think that's quite similar.

Nathan Ablett works at my work, we have lunch occasionaly, everytime i bring up footy he dosent want to know. One time GAJ kicked a ripper from the boundry at skilled, was all over the news. I said to you see Garys goal? Hes like he kicked a good goal did he? all aloof.

I reckon his personality could be similar to that of an outback country boy who dosent seek the limelight, it wasnt even the pressure at the top elvel that got him, jsut did not have the spark or desire. Can have all the talent in the world, without desire its useless.

Nathan Ablett works at my work, we have lunch occasionaly, everytime i bring up footy he dosent want to know. One time GAJ kicked a ripper from the boundry at skilled, was all over the news. I said to you see Garys goal? Hes like he kicked a good goal did he? all aloof.

I reckon his personality could be similar to that of an outback country boy who dosent seek the limelight, it wasnt even the pressure at the top elvel that got him, jsut did not have the spark or desire. Can have all the talent in the world, without desire its useless.

See Leroy Jetta

Weller, Ahern and Duggan are likely to be gone by our pick and we've put a lot of work into Garlett so I'm fairly certain that if Weller and Ahern aren't available we will choose Garlett. We already have a plethora of inside mids, and De Goey and possibly Ellis won't be available. Langford and Cockatoo definitely won't be available, personally I hope we pass on Lamb because of his mental fragility. Garlett adds some much needed outside speed at 17 and seems a logical pick, whilst I can't see Mckenzie becoming a flop because he will never get the best defender and is incredibly strong for his age whilst also having a great burst of pace. Getting Mckenzie will also allow us to put Carlisle down back, where he belongs. Having a spine of Mckenzie Daniher Carlisle Hooker and 3rd tier talls in Ambrose and Hurley will set us up for at least the next 5 years.
I think the club will definitely go for Langford or Ahern if available at 17. But I think seeing as were probably going to draft 1 tall and 1 small/medium then It'll probably depend on where Hird see's Carlisle playing in the future. I assume if he see's him as a KPF we will try and get Marchbank and Garlett (if not available at 20 then someone like Menadue) and if he see's him as a KPF then he will try and get Garlett at 17 and Lamb at 20.

I think Nathan is scarred from the media hounding his dad when he was a kid and subsequent marriage breakup as well. Nathan was the youngest and obviously most affected by this. As a result he probably resents footy and AFL even though he was good at it. When he was a junior he famously left the field during a match (jumped the fence didn't say a word) and went home when he learnt the media was there doing a story on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back