Recruiting AFLW Draft and Trade 2023 - Premiership demon Maddison Gay requests a trade to Essendon - 5/12

Remove this Banner Ad

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Apologies if there's already one. I just realised the draft is on December 18.

I was curious about how Jaeda Lloyd goes and whether she might be drafted as a father-daughter selection... this year? ...next year?

Lore?
CrowdedHouse?

Anyway, these are the key dates.

Sunday, December 3 2023

• 2023 NAB AFLW Grand Final
Friday, December 1 2023

• AFLW Draft Nominations Close
Thursday, December 7 2023

• Trade Period Opens
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Opens
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Opens
Wednesday, December 13 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Closes
Thursday, December 14 2023

• Trade Period Closes (2pm AEDT)
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Closes
Friday, December 15 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Open
Saturday, December 16 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Closes
Sunday, December 17 2023

• AFLW Draft Order confirmed
Monday, December 18 2023

• 2023 AFLW Draft
Monday, February 5 2024

• Supplemental Selection Period Open
  • Rookie Signing Period Open
Friday, March 1 2024

• Supplemental Selection Period Closes
  • Rookie Signing Period Closes

Apologies if there's already one. I just realised the draft is on December 18.

I was curious about how Jaeda Lloyd goes and whether she might be drafted as a father-daughter selection... this year? ...next year?

Lore?
CrowdedHouse?

Anyway, these are the key dates.

Sunday, December 3 2023

• 2023 NAB AFLW Grand Final
Friday, December 1 2023

• AFLW Draft Nominations Close
Thursday, December 7 2023

• Trade Period Opens
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Opens
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Opens
Wednesday, December 13 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Closes
Thursday, December 14 2023

• Trade Period Closes (2pm AEDT)
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Closes
Friday, December 15 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Open
Saturday, December 16 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Closes
Sunday, December 17 2023

• AFLW Draft Order confirmed
Monday, December 18 2023

• 2023 AFLW Draft
Monday, February 5 2024

• Supplemental Selection Period Open
  • Rookie Signing Period Open
Friday, March 1 2024

• Supplemental Selection Period Closes
  • Rookie Signing Period Closes
This is the thread then 😛

all my AFLW stuff is out of date, but I think they announced delistings of Doonan and ? a couple of weeks ago

Woosh retired

and we pre-listed someone from the U18s

possibly also some multi year contract announcements?

With Jess Wuetschner retired, the National Indigenous Times reported Danielle Ponter from the Crows saying this;

"She says that she received a contract offer to play for Essendon – the club at which her uncle Michael Long was a champion – but has no intentions on leaving the Crows.

"There was that initial offer, but I am really comfortable with where I am at with the Crows and the culture that we've have here," Ponter said.

"We'll see how that goes, obviously that's something I'll eventually look into, but for now I am really happy with where I am at.""

...so, like, we should ask again. "...obviously something I'll eventually look into" is not the same as "no intentions of leaving"

The Duursma kids all want to play together so likely they will eventually end up together, somewhere. There's another one (Willem?) in a year or two too.

I think there was a clip somewhere that indicated Z. Duursma was a bit envious of Nate Caddy on draft night too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But no interesting comments from anybody who would know about getting more than 7 touches a game at the top level.

Every club delisting post has stuff like that from relatives and bitter former players. Not a big deal.

But no interesting comments from anybody who would know about getting more than 7 touches a game at the top level.

Every club delisting post has stuff like that from relatives and bitter former players. Not a big deal.
Clifford and Heil were cultural leaders of the club as it built from scratch to an undefeated premiership in the VFL. Add Courtney Ugle to that mix. In terms of the women's program to date these are significant names at Essendon.

Clifford and Heil were cultural leaders of the club as it built from scratch to an undefeated premiership in the VFL. Add Courtney Ugle to that mix. In terms of the women's program to date these are significant names at Essendon.
They are and it’s tricky.

AFLW list management across the competition sucks really.

They’re not full time so it’s hard to fully invest in making the players you already have better.

They only play ten games a year which means medium term injuries are season ending, and there is less chance to show what you can do.

The lists only holds 30 players, 21 are named each week plus 3 emergencies, meaning you only have 6 spots for depth, projects, injuries, etc.

Hardly any retirements because the girls tend to play longer, later into their 30s than boys do, probably because there is less wear and tear in a part time contract I guess? Body lasts longer and you’re asking less of it at the same time.

And then our list seems relatively young as well, nearly all the key posts and best players are under 25, so not even close to retiring.

Then at the end of the year you have a trade and draft period where you’re trying to improve your list, I think there is a minimum number you have to draft, plus a couple of trades, so you have to make 5 spots.

By default the only way to improve it is to delist someone who was injured or isn’t progressing fast enough…

The nature of the beast is cruel all around.

Frew's comment is referring to the fast departure of the VFLW premiership players from the AFLW list, which has been remarkable, considering how dominate that side was, but I don't think Natalie Wood was familiar enough with that side and we saw that with Tierney who hardly played at AFLW level. Tierney is both a goal kicker and an aggressive tackler so brings forward pressure.

This highlights a number of problems with the AFLW, not playing the AFLW and VFLW season at the same time, and that's making it harder for players not in the side to push for selection, and the list sizes are too small.

I have a lot of respect for Nicole Livingstone as a swimmer, but the AFLW needs her replacement to be someone from a football background.

Last edited:
Hi all, you are welcome to join the AFLW Draft Night discussion over on the main board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back