Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
It's that time of year.

While it won't reflect the actualities, let's go all the way to the end of the order just so there's at least 3 selections per club (2 for Port Adelaide.)

If you want to play, nominate your team of preference.

Rules:

1. Trades have to be within AFL laws.
2. You have 8 hours between 8 am and 10 pm to pick, eg. If the last pick is taken at 8:30 pm, then you have until 2:30 the next day.

Adelaide = Yoda_
Brisbane = RedmanWasHere
Carlton = eDPS
Collingwood = Zach Package
Essendon = ydc55
Footscray = eth-dog
Fremantle = Vindicater
Geelong = Booplaz
Gold Coast = Zach Package
GWS Giants = Vindicater
Hawthorn = ant555
Melbourne = eDPS
North Melbourne = Hazardinho
Port Adelaide = eth-dog
Richmond = RedmanWasHere
St Kilda = Cup_o_Jobe
Sydney = ydc55
West Coast = doug85

Round 1
  1. North Melbourne: Harley Reid.
  2. Gold Coast: Jed Walter.
  3. North Melbourne: Zane Duursma.
  4. West Coast: Colby McKercher.
  5. Hawthorn: Daniel Curtin.
  6. Footscray: Nick Watson.
  7. Melbourne: Ryley Sanders.
  8. Gold Coast: Ethan Read.
  9. Greater Western Sydney: Nate Caddy.
  10. Geelong: Connor O'Sullivan.
  11. Footscray: Jordan Croft.
  12. Essendon: Darcy Wilson.
  13. Adelaide: James Leake.
  14. Melbourne: Caleb Windsor.
  15. Gold Coast: Jake Rogers.
  16. Hawthorn: Will McCabe.
  17. Sydney: Charlie Edwards.
  18. St Kilda: Ollie Murphy.
  19. Adelaide: Zane Zakostelsky.
  20. North Melbourne: Arie Schoenmaker.
  21. Greater Western Sydney: Riley Hardeman.
  22. West Coast: Archer Reid.
  23. West Coast: Koltyn Tholstrup.
  24. Collingwood: Harry Demattia.
  25. Adelaide: Mitch Edwards.
  26. Gold Coast: Will Graham.
  27. St Kilda: Lance Collard.
  28. Carlton: Phoenix Gothard.

Round 2.

29. North Melbourne: Luamon Lual.
  30. Geelong: Joel Freijah.
  31. Carlton: Archie Roberts.
  32. Richmond: Will Green.
  33. Brisbane Lions: Will Patton.
  34. Essendon: Ashton Moir.
  35. Collingwood: Taylor Goad.
  36. Fremantle: Koen Sanchez.
  37. Essendon: George Stevens.
  38. West Coast: Tew Jiath.
  39. Brisbane Lions: Cooper Trembath.
  40. Sydney: Caiden Cleary.
  41. St Kilda: Harvey Johnston.
  42. Richmond: Kane McAuliffe.
  43. Melbourne: Wil Dawson.
  44. Greater Western Sydney: Jack Delean.

Round 3.

45. Fremantle: Logan Morris.
  46. Brisbane Lions: Michael Rudd.
  47. St Kilda: Cooper Simpson.
  48. Sydney: Aiden O'Driscoll.
  49. Footscray: Clay Hall.
  50. North Melbourne: Reece Torrent.
  51. West Coast: Chad Wingard.
  52. Geelong: Angus Hastie.
  53. Essendon: Bodie Ryan.
  54. Hawthorn: Nathan Philactides.

Round 4.

55. Hawthorn: Luke Lloyd.
  56. Melbourne: Kynan Brown.
  57. North Melbourne: Jack Callinan.
  58. Richmond: Vigo Visentini.
  59. Richmond: Kobe Ryan.
  60. West Coast: Cooper Stephens.
  61. Footscray: Mutaz El Nour.
  62. Port Adelaide: Tom Anastosopoulos.
  63. Footscray: Lachlan Smith.
  64. Footscray: Brynn Teakle.
  65. Geelong: Ned Long.
  66. Carlton
  67. Collingwood: Kristian Ferronato.

Round 5

68. Port Adelaide: Patrick Snell. (To get us to 2 picks for Port Adelaide.)

Points chart is below.

23-png.1551637

Let's away.

P.s. let's also do a 1 round mock 2024 draft.

2024 round 1:

1 West Coast:
2 North Melbourne:
3 Hawthorn:
4 Gold Coast:
5 Fremantle:
6 Richmond:
7 Geelong:
8 Essendon:
9 Adelaide:
10 Gold Coast:
11 Sydney:
12 St Kilda:
13 Melbourne:
14 Fremantle:
15 GWS:
16 Carlton:
17 Brisbane:
18 Fremantle:
19 Sydney:
20 Gold Coast:

Last edited:
Huh?

Saints didn't take anyone to cover their biggest need (midfield), Essendon taking Moir (another tweener forward/mid) over Goad (an actual list need) was bizarre.

Geelong clearly the best of the three, but I had West Coast and Sydney better than them clearly.
Both Simpson and Johnston are both mids and for me are the two value picks after 35.

Collard will likely play mid and while hes a longer shot, has a top 5 ceiling in the draft.

Murphy as good a shot to make it as any KPD outside of the top 10, the best intercepter in the draft. Slots in perfectly next to Wilkie and Battle.

Moir is another super high level ceiling. Not concerned about tweener status. Langford is a tweener and Id take another 5 of him.

Goad is not a list need. Ruckmen not named Gawn do nothing to build a system, could literally play any Max Bailey, Mason Cox, Mike Pyke level spud in there when the rest of the list is ready. Anyone who focuses on rucks as significant need has a Dodoro level understanding of list building.

Both Simpson and Johnston are both mids and for me are the two value picks after 35.

Collard will likely play mid and while hes a longer shot, has a top 5 ceiling in the draft.

Murphy as good a shot to make it as any KPD outside of the top 10, the best intercepter in the draft. Slots in perfectly next to Wilkie and Battle.

Moir is another super high level ceiling. Not concerned about tweener status. Langford is a tweener and Id take another 5 of him.

Goad is not a list need. Ruckmen not named Gawn do nothing to build a system, could literally play any Bailey level spud in there when the rest of the list is ready. Anyone who focuses on rucks as significant need has a Dodoro level understanding of list building.
Both are clearly small forward first, mid second, same with Collard. They took 3 small forwards, which isn't an area of need.

Murphy is a good key defender but they're already well stocked back there for me and it isn't a major list need. As far as best interceptor goes, the reason he's slipping down the order is because of his lack of offensive ability.

Moir is a high ceiling tweener. We have a glut of those and the exact type we need to avoid. Well done, you named one tweener on the list that had a good year.

A ruck is a need. Once Draper starts winding down we'll need to replace him with someone relatively developed, especially if Bryan leaves before then. Whether that's taking a sliding Edwards/Green/Goad or taking a Visentini or Smith in the RD I don't mind but one needs to be taken.

Our list needs this draft are an inside mid, half back flanker, ruck (or forward/ruck) and key forward. The draft above had us taking two of those. It's an okay draft but far from top 3.

Both are clearly small forward first, mid second, same with Collard. They took 3 small forwards, which isn't an area of need.

Murphy is a good key defender but they're already well stocked back there for me and it isn't a major list need. As far as best interceptor goes, the reason he's slipping down the order is because of his lack of offensive ability.

Moir is a high ceiling tweener. We have a glut of those and the exact type we need to avoid. Well done, you named one tweener on the list that had a good year.

A ruck is a need. Once Draper starts winding down we'll need to replace him with someone relatively developed, especially if Bryan leaves before then. Whether that's taking a sliding Edwards/Green/Goad or taking a Visentini or Smith in the RD I don't mind but one needs to be taken.

Our list needs this draft are an inside mid, half back flanker, ruck (or forward/ruck) and key forward. The draft above had us taking two of those. It's an okay draft but far from top 3.
They've just lost Billings and Gresham, they need guys who can play flank and be part of their mid rotation. They have no depth after Higgins and Butler both of whom are not that high level talent anyway. Unless you're bringing a H.Reid, Duursma, Sanders level player, which they can't at their position, it's exactly what they need. I'm massive on Johnston, I think he has Sidebottom potential. They straight up need a Collard type, he's got aerial ability which the others lack as well. Allows them to experiment with Phillipou in the midfield as well.

I'm not that big on the Murphy selection but he does provide balance to the whole draft hand, maybe Archer Reid would have been a better play but still a very long term project either way.

We don't need pure rucks, we have 10 years of Draper and Bryan. Wright is a forward ruck who still has 6ish years left. Just continue to get mature cheap types like Goldy to supplement and get a long term rookie type in. All of these guys aren't far off what Cameron and Cox do, so if you have long term premiership standard players in those positions I think using a second rounder there is a waste when we have actual best 22 holes to fill. Maximize your resources and spend a rookie slot instead. Either way you're spending 3 years developing the bloke and it's sunken list spot.

I think we've had great success with tweeners, Redman, Martin, Ridley, Langford, just because we've had a few failures doesn't mean we should stop drafting them. In reality we've drafted far less player 185-192cm than most teams in the competition. Considering the talent of the hits, we should be drafting more and I think a half back style tweener is really what we need. Redman and McGrath will provide a bit more run now we have better intercepting IMO, I think we need a Howe type mostly that can support aerially and offensively. Moir could be that player.

The guys available to address actual needs aren't there. We/Saints don't need an inside mid, we need a superstar inside mid, we don't need a key forward, we need a superstar key forward. Unless Caddy falls to us, we aren't addressing genuine needs. So I judge it on what I see as potential and probability in a low potential draft.

Last edited:
Sorry I made a mistaker or there was a miscommunication.

I thought Freo got Jack Calinan with their last pick and then I left the draft.

If he was matched then I should have had a pick then.

Huh?

Saints didn't take anyone to cover their biggest need (midfield), Essendon taking Moir (another tweener forward/mid) over Goad (an actual list need) was bizarre.

Geelong clearly the best of the three, but I had West Coast and Sydney better than them clearly.
It is interesting you call the Moir selection bizzare as I too thought goad would last to 35 and that is the pick I was not entirely happy with However your analysis is a bit hysterical.
However Moir is not a midfielder as you stated. I listed him as a forward and he has some unbelievable talent. In a weak draft his kicking talent really stands out. If you were at ikon park when he kicked a goal from 50 metres off his left or at gmhba stadium and watched him kick 4 goals as a bottom ager you might understand the selection a bit better.
overall I think Wilson, stevens and Ryan are all pretty good selections and I thought I explained quite concisely why I selected Moir.
if we did a rookie draft I was in a position to perhaps take my highest ranked player which is Shaun mannagh, a tough defensive mid in Tyson sruk, an athletic mid in Oscar dees, a running half back in Sam clohesy, a forward with a bit of potential in Riley Weatherill or a hard at it beefy mid such as Patrick Hughes.
i do think you should avoid emotive words such as bizzare and analyse the contest of a post.
have a nice night

Sorry I made a mistaker or there was a miscommunication.

I thought Freo got Jack Calinan with their last pick and then I left the draft.

If he was matched then I should have had a pick then.
I didn’t decide to match (was the north Melbourne recruiter) , as I was busy and assumed if you don’t match after 8 hours per selection, that person who bidded gets the player. Unfortunately for you they matched it.

It is interesting you call the Moir selection bizzare as I too thought goad would last to 35 and that is the pick I was not entirely happy with However your analysis is a bit hysterical.
However Moir is not a midfielder as you stated. I listed him as a forward and he has some unbelievable talent. In a weak draft his kicking talent really stands out. If you were at ikon park when he kicked a goal from 50 metres off his left or at gmhba stadium and watched him kick 4 goals as a bottom ager you might understand the selection a bit better.
overall I think Wilson, stevens and Ryan are all pretty good selections and I thought I explained quite concisely why I selected Moir.
if we did a rookie draft I was in a position to perhaps take my highest ranked player which is Shaun mannagh, a tough defensive mid in Tyson sruk, an athletic mid in Oscar dees, a running half back in Sam clohesy, a forward with a bit of potential in Riley Weatherill or a hard at it beefy mid such as Patrick Hughes.
i do think you should avoid emotive words such as bizzare and analyse the contest of a post.
have a nice night
Agree on Moir . I mentioned during the Champ series that although he was not playing with the consistency he was and sliding down the order a bit he still had exceptional ability. Even though he was average he was still doing a few things in games that where real star quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back