Oh Man, do you believe it? St Kilda are trying to poach Jason Cripps.

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC should match the offer. After all it is not our money anyway according to the SANFL.

by putting the club into admin we will unshackle ourselves from the SANFL and our punitive contracts.

This probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but as a player Chad was/is great, but as a personality (based purely on the media and hearsay) he sounds like a bit of a campaigner and yeah, reminds me of his old man a bit. Again though, never met the man personally so I could (probably) be quite wrong.

I've met the bloke in social settings a couple of times through mutual friends, and can confirm that he is a complete campaigner. Great footballer though, as you said.

Is it just me, or does anyone think of that Kaiser Chiefs song when looking at this thread title? With a bit of creative license:

"Oh my god, I can't believe it. I've never been this far away from home."

"Oh my god (man), do you believe it? St.Kilda are trying to poach Jason Cripps."

Anybody? Anyone?

Bueller...

Bueller...

It's a bit of a dodgy area to be honest. Contracts are made to be broken and AFL is the only industry I know of where loyalty to an employer is seen as a virtue (and even that appears to be changing). If Cripps has been offered more $$$ at St Kilda then surely nobody could begrudge him taking up the opportunity?

Quick snippet of Cripps on 7 news with him saying the Saints role was something he would look at down the track but he's happy at Port now.
How far down the track? I hope he doesn't mean in a month's time. Hope he stays. He is great for our club and he needs to see this group of players achieve a Premiership

It's a bit of a dodgy area to be honest. Contracts are made to be broken and AFL is the only industry I know of where loyalty to an employer is seen as a virtue (and even that appears to be changing). If Cripps has been offered more $$$ at St Kilda then surely nobody could begrudge him taking up the opportunity?

I wouldn't be mad at Cripps (although publicly stating that he'd be staying with Port and then taking the job wouldn't be the best look). St Kilda, on the other hand ...

Looking at the glass being half full. Means that if other clubs are poaching our staff due to our success then equally our club is attracting quality people to replace them. Just look at Michael Voss as an example, Shaun Hart etc etc. I am not concerned in the slightest if he goes and nor should anybody else IMO

Doesn't matter if your a player, coach, fitness staff, list or recruiting manager, administrator, never underestimate the lure of being part of a premiership team. Cripps taking a role at St kilda would be doing himself an injustice. Firstly, St kilda is going to struggle for a few more years before the wheel turns again for them, and secondly if Cripps waits until we win a flag his stocks will rise even further with other clubs knowing that he would've played a big part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the glass being half full. Means that if other clubs are poaching our staff due to our success then equally our club is attracting quality people to replace them. Just look at Michael Voss as an example, Shaun Hart etc etc. I am not concerned in the slightest if he goes and nor should anybody else IMO
I basically agree, its the timing that annoys me. IF it happens, it inconveniences us and it will inconvenience the other club we recruit from.

Is it just me, or does anyone think of that Kaiser Chiefs song when looking at this thread title? With a bit of creative license:

"Oh my god, I can't believe it. I've never been this far away from home."

"Oh my god (man), do you believe it? St.Kilda are trying to poach Jason Cripps."

Anybody? Anyone?

Bueller...

Bueller...

I know the song... but my brain immediately went to Lily Allen's version...

True but at least Cripps job for this period will be done by tonight so if we need to get someone else we will have adequate time.
Its done when the rookie draft ends. you still can draft 100 and 200 gamers from kids that slide that he would know we are interested in.

True but at least Cripps job for this period will be done by tonight so if we need to get someone else we will have adequate time.

Footy dept moves happen in Sept-Oct. Not late November. We will be pushing it up hill as all good list managers will by now be under contract, just as Cripps is.

On the plus side with these staff poachings of late, walsh, richardson, maybe cripps, it all means that port is a desirable place to be employed. We would not be able to attract coaches like voss to the club if it wasn't, if cripps needs a replacement I'm sure that a candidate we can attract would be of worth.

Its done when the rookie draft ends. you still can draft 100 and 200 gamers from kids that slide that he would know we are interested in.
Good point. Then he certainly won't be released before that finishs december 6th is it. I am still not concerned in filling the position even this late in the season with a quality person and that's even if he leaves in the first place.

Footy dept moves happen in Sept-Oct. Not late November. We will be pushing it up hill as all good list managers will by now be under contract, just as Cripps is.
I agree that the lateness is not good enough by the Saints and that something should be done to change this but i still believe there are plenty of candidates not employed by AFL clubs that could fill this role and do a great job. Let's also consider that he could easily stay with port.

On the plus side with these staff poachings of late, walsh, richardson, maybe cripps, it all means that port is a desirable place to be employed .....
Surely the opposite? To date every one of our people publicly known to have been wanted by another club seems to have been keeping a packed bag in their cars. Three senior figures in 2 years (if Cripps goes) may be coincidental. But it does mark us as a staging-post, not a destination. A bit of a surprise for me that. I guess 2 good on-field years doesn't lock us in as a place to have a career as a footy administrator.
..... We would not be able to attract coaches like voss to the club if it wasn't, if cripps needs a replacement I'm sure that a candidate we can attract would be of worth.
We've got to move beyond being a line on someone's CV though. Attracting people on a transient basis is an issue if they keep moving on before we feel we've got out full value from taking them on.

Surely the opposite? To date every one of our people publicly known to have been wanted by another club seems to have been keeping a packed bag in their cars. Three senior figures in 2 years (if Cripps goes) may be coincidental. But it does mark us as a staging-post, not a destination. A bit of a surprise for me that. I guess 2 good on-field years doesn't lock us in as a place to have a career as a footy administrator.We've got to move beyond being a line on someone's CV though. Attracting people on a transient basis is an issue if they keep moving on before we feel we've got out full value from taking them on.

Yeah I agree that retaining valued staff is very important and preferable over being constantly disrupted like this. What I was getting at though was that one of the positives can be that we attract good candidates if there is the proven promise of building your profile at port.

Surely the opposite? To date every one of our people publicly known to have been wanted by another club seems to have been keeping a packed bag in their cars. Three senior figures in 2 years (if Cripps goes) may be coincidental. But it does mark us as a staging-post, not a destination. A bit of a surprise for me that. I guess 2 good on-field years doesn't lock us in as a place to have a career as a footy administrator.We've got to move beyond being a line on someone's CV though. Attracting people on a transient basis is an issue if they keep moving on before we feel we've got out full value from taking them on.
Thing is, the guys that have left have all gone for big reasons ... major career opportunity not available at Port, and much bigger pay rises. If we offered Walsh Ken's head coach role, no way would he have left for the Crows etc etc.

Fact is, that no one stays at the same club forever, in the same position forever, just 'cos they love the club. That sort of view is myopic, and exists in the minds and views of supporters only. Anyone offered a major career opportunity & commensurately higher pay packet, HAS to give it serious thought. No one can begrudge them that! If we dont want to lose them, simple - MATCH THE OFFER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back