Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The back page of tomorrow's Telegraph.

B3cM72pCAAAkHew.jpg:large

Felt awful when a customer told me at work. Was ready for a good cry.

Guess seeing someone similar in age dying playing something he loves can do that to you. I have just spent the last few hours just thinking of when I watched him, saw his name mentioned and so on and am just gutted that his life came to a halt like this.

He was never a player I played close attention to because being honest I lost interest for a while in cricket after Gilly retired but still always watched it a fair bit.

Impressed me a fair bit last year too and I was thinking Clarke's injury might finally be his chance to cement his spot.

At least Phil never knew he was going.

Again just shattered. Can't even begin to imagine how those close to him feel.

This is really tragic. devastated. Life is fragile. This guy was doing what he loved. my condolences to his family and friends. Fk man, this absolutely sucks

i so badly wanted him to pull through and scored another test century for Australia on Tuesday.

Geez no words atm. Im like everyone else that just shakes there head at what has happened thinking wtf.
Loved his unorthodox style and one of my favourites.
RIP mate.

And so it begins.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/cri...hughes-situation/story-fndpt0dy-1227136907954

The ACB stood by and allowed themselves to be raped by the Indian board over the 'monkey gate' episode....now is the chance to stand up and draw a line.

They can get on a plane back home now for all I care.

How dare the Indian's pull this s**t?
This story was published before he died. Relax. The tour game has been cancelled and India are fully supportive of that.

Felt incredible sick when I heard the news. Went and saw a movie which helped me take my mind off it for 3 or 4 hours. As soon as I got home I got the same sick feeling back. Have had tears in my eyes reading all the messages.

No one deserves to die doing what they love. RIP Phillip Hughes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not one for drama, but I still can't believe it. ******* Hughesy, out of everyone, just one he was about to get another shot.

Will take a while for this to really sink in.
It's strange. He would have woken up Tuesday morning thinking if he scores some runs, he'll be in the test team for Brisbane. Oh how life can change.

Leigh's chat with Jim Maxwell on 7.30 was good too

Yes, very impressed with how the ABC dealt with it, both on the news and the special report at 7.30pm. None of this, "should the bouncer be banned" or "was the helmet adequate" bullshit, those discussions are for later. Just a glowing tribute of the young man and very well done.

I enjoyed Hughes' unorthodox batting style. He was wonderful to watch in full flight, his off-side play especially, which was full of flare and risk taking. What he achieved early in his career at international level was rare and remarkable. His ability after that to keep scoring runs and pressing his case for re-selection with great first class form suggests a young man of tenacity and character. Only an incredibly talented batsman can score 25 first class centuries after only 6 years of first class cricket. Like a lot of test cricket fanatics I was looking forward to watching the next phase of his international career. Unfortunately that is not to be.

What has occurred these last 48 hours is a tragedy.

Vale Phillip Hughes.

Its almost surreal that this has happened. Just as he was about to get another crack at Test cricket. Makes you feel sick. Feel so sorry for Sean as well.

We never really appreciated what we had with him, we saw how good he was, but there was a feeling that his time was yet to come. It hits home when you think that we will never see him reach his full potential. His indomitable attitude and drive to succeed will stay with me. I feel terrible for his family and Sean Abbott, I hope that the outpouring of grief can give them some comfort.

I am concerned about this summer's cricket, it's really got off to a bad start. I hope the cricket played this summer and the world cup can honor him in a meaningful way. I am heartened by some encouraging words from Dave Warner and the way Michael Clarke has handled this, I wasn't sure that he could ever show up the way he has in the last few days.

On the other hand, Allan Border and Mark Taylor on the status of the first test, hold your tongue guys. Too soon.

Always thought Michael Clarke was a bit of a knob but seeing how he handled the past 2 days may have changed my opinion of him.

You know, Michael Clarke understood why the public wasn't warming to him and has made giant strides in that regard. He and his wife have worked hard on his public persona, and all I've seen over the past few years is a man who has proven himself in leadership stakes as well as many other areas.

For people to say they still think of him as a "knob" disappoints me greatly. I'm really not sure what else he can do for people to approve of him. I guess the old saying is, "haters are going to hate". A very difficult situation for him today, and considering he has had bugger sleep over the past 48 hours, I thought, once again, he handled himself admirably.

To be honest, if it were me, I really don't think I could have faced the media today. More power to him.

You know, Michael Clarke understood why the public wasn't warming to him and has made giant strides in that regard. He and his wife have worked hard on his public persona, and all I've seen over the past few years is a man who has proven himself in leadership stakes as well as many other areas.

For people to say they still think of him as a "knob" disappoints me greatly. I'm really not sure what else he can do for people to approve of him. I guess the old saying is, "haters are going to hate". A very difficult situation for him today, and considering he has had bugger sleep over the past 48 hours, I thought, once again, he handled himself admirably.

To be honest, if it were me, I really don't think I could have faced the media today. More power to him.

You do the things that Michael Clarke did today not for yourself and not to gain respect from people...you do them for others, you do them because they need you to do it for them. That family needed Michael Clarke today and he was there for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back