Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

some old guy at the bus stop was slurring and stammering about Phillip Hughes passing on but I just assumed he was confused about him being knocked out.... or maybe I was hoping that he was wrong...

It's pretty devastating :(

You know, until someone reminded me a few minutes ago that the draft is about to start, I'd completely forgotten about it even being on tonight.

This has just overshadowed everything completely.

Feel like everything is just going through the motions.

RIP Phillip Hughes.
Memories of that South African back to back hundreds will stay with me forever. You brought excitement to us all. I thank you for that.
Condolences to the family.
Haven't felt shocked by news like this for a while.

You know, until someone reminded me a few minutes ago that the draft is about to start, I'd completely forgotten about it even being on tonight.

This has just overshadowed everything completely.

Feel like everything is just going through the motions.

I had planned to do all this work this afternoon, but I haven't been able to get my mind off of Hughes.

Can you stop with that "this post will get you banned" stuff, please?

Yes, he's still in ICU as far as we know. They said on Tuesday there wouldn't be any meaningful indication on how he's fairing until 48 hours in, and we're not at 48 hours yet.

sorry that is my tapatalk signature :(

opened cricinfo today to check the score of Pak V Nz only to find this sad News :(

You will be missed Philly :(

may God give his family patience to bear all this :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect Jones was given the blessing to say what he did - he's a friend of the family.

Until he made that statement, most of us were hoping/expecting that Philip would be alright, I think they knew that wasn't the case, and wanted to prevent that false hope from getting even worse.

Agreed i think it was likely what you would call an authorized leak as the majority of people just felt that surely he has to pull through and we needed to be prepared for the horrible reality that was coming for us a few hours later.

Devastated is the feeling right now.
Cannot even comprehend how the family and friends are feeling.

one of the darkest days in sporting history :(

RIP.

B3b0rY_CAAAvv9b.jpg:large

I'm one of the first to criticise the media, but in this case, I think that they presented it the best that they could. Maybe they didn't want to give the full extent of his condition until they were absolutely sure.

The thing is, I think that maybe they were told early on it wouldn't be good news, and they didn't want to be too gloomy, but couldn't give false hope either.

What channel are you watching? I saw a couple of cringe worthy things on 7 so switched to SBS.

This whole tragedy is going to take a while to process.

This is the darkest day I can remember in the 20 years I've been following Australian sport.

Most of us have played the game at some level, some have been hit, some have done the hitting, some have done both. You know there is always a chance of injury - sometimes severe injury - but you never in your wildest dreams think something like this will happen.

Phillip isn't the first cricketer to die on a cricket field, but it's such a rare occurrence that you can distance yourself from it. It's no less of a tragedy for the family and friends when a professional or an amateur dies on the sporting field, or indeed when any young person dies in any circumstance. But the shockwaves from a situation like this reverberate right through the wider community, as we all stop to think how easy it could happen to someone close to us and/or whilst we are on the field of the play.

We've lost someone we respect and admire, and in some cases idolise, and were looking forward to him entering his prime as a cricketer and see if he could fulfill his talent. But those close to him have lost more than a cricketer. They've lost a friend and a family member who should have had more than half a century of memories and good times left.

Cricket will be poorer without Phillip, and it will be a long time before it's ever the same again. For some of us, that day may never come.

RIP Phillip Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back