Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australians with multiple Test centuries prior to their 21st birthday.

Neil Harvey
Doug Walters
Don Bradman
Phillip Hughes
What a travesty, so much more ahead of him. Consigned to the record books well before his time.

Wow. Been following the news and a text from my brother just brought my night to a hault. I can never see that footage again, knowing his life basically ended at that moment.

I feel sick inside.

This is absolutely devastating. Closest I have come to tears in a long while. Can't imagine what both his family and Sean Abbott would be feeling right now. R.I.P. Phil Hughes. Gone way too soon. :(

Yep. I was speaking to a mate last night about it who is a doctor and he said everything about it as presented in the media (his short consciousness after the strike followed by complete loss of motor function, and the need for CPR) suggested something catastrophic had happened internally. He said it looked like what can happen to people in car accidents, and that seems to be what is being reported now.

No one is to blame. It's just one of those awful things that happen to people and show you how thin a thread it is between life and death.
Yep, the short consciousness after impact suggested to me a massive haemorrhage. Or more to the point, the manner in which he fell unconscious after a brief lucid moment. Your chances of a positive outcome are next to none depending on blood supply to the brain. Makes you reflect on your mortality. There could be a cerebral aneurysm in any one of us at any age and it is like a time bomb. Make the most of the life you're given.

Based on the explanation from the Doctors, when he collapsed on the field, he was gone :(

Still can't believe it.
The way he was carted off the field, he looked completely limp. I wanted him to recover, but I think part of me knew it was going to come to this.

This news isn't a surprise, but it's so upsetting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how Clarke managed to front that Presser. Well done to him for doing it. It was a really nice touch.

Yes, kudos Pup. It's sad that a tragedy is sometimes the best time to see someone in a different light, but I've now changed my views on Warner and, to an extent, Clarke.

Tour match officially postponed.

If that's the case, here's an idea. Abandon the Gabba test. Make it the Phil Hughes memorial match. India versus a CA XI. 5 days. Result doesn't matter. Gives the Indians a replacement tour match, gives the players a chance to grieve without feeling like they're letting their country down, we still get a game of cricket, and Hughes is honored with the game he loved.

I don't know how Clarke managed to front that Presser. Well done to him for doing it. It was a really nice touch.
He looked in a very shocked state. To read the Hughes family's statement must have been an incredibly difficult thing for him to do.

If that's the case, here's an idea. Abandon the Gabba test. Make it the Phil Hughes memorial match. India versus a CA XI. 5 days. Result doesn't matter. Gives the Indians a replacement tour match, gives the players a chance to grieve without feeling like they're letting their country down, we still get a game of cricket, and Hughes is honored with the game he loved.
Don't mind that. Raise money for his family

Such a shame. Thoughts go to his family and friends.

Also, my thoughts are for Sean Abbott. He shouldn't blame himself for this, but often people in his position do and wonder if they could have done something different. He shouldn't blame himself.

I hate to say that I am not totally surprised at the outcome, unfortunately. Just language that was being used and the news reports gave me the feeling that the prognosis wasn't good, and even if he had lived, I doubt he would have played again, and may have even had his life dramatically affected.

R.I.P. Phillip Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back