Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Channel 7 & 9 are disgusting stations that shouldn't be watched under any circumstances. I nearly threw up when a 9 reporter said "this is akin to Princess Diana".

Depressing news.

Nothing but vultures clamouring over a carcass mate, it's a matter of macabre one upmanship for them.

Also does anyone else think some of the news reports etc. are being a little bit insensitive about it?
I've only watched fox sports news but they've been exceptional. Very respectful.

just wow. to hear what his injury was. all credit should go to the medics that treated him at the ground and the ambos that did their best to get him to st vincents

get around sean abbott

Poor bloke never stood a chance with that injury. Poor Sean Abbott, he may never recover from this. Fingers crossed he gets the help he needs and can get through it.

Also does anyone else think some of the news reports etc. are being a little bit insensitive about it?
I've only watched fox sports news but they've been exceptional. Very respectful.

ABC News 24 have been very good and respectful aswell. Jim Maxwell and Mike Coward were on there leading a tribute to Phil, both were very respectful and touching in their tributes. You could just see the pain and the toll it had taken on the both of them, especially Jim. Just a sad, sad day.

i thought alan jones telling the whole world that he wasn't breathing on his own and had something wrong with his artery was insensitive at the time. not surprising from him thought

I know Jones has a poor track record but I don't think he would have said something like that without the blessing of Hughes' family. He'd been a friend of Hughes' for a long time.

Sadly it was actually a worrying precursor of what we were about to hear.

Completely agree. They've been great for the whole thing

Totally understandable - if the test is cancelled, let that be the reason.

But let it not be because the media or any other agenda pushing wowsers are bleating for it.

I think for some, playing a game of cricket, even if it comes across as trivial, can be the best way for some to cope. Some couldn't play after this, but others may need to take their mind off it, and it may help them cope. Sometimes being distracted from the reality can help some with the grieving process.

However, if the First Test goes ahead, it must be each player's choice how they feel, and if they choose not to play, it shouldn't affect their chances of being picked for the rest of the Tests.

Last edited:
RIP Phil Huges My condolences to his family and ffriends

To be fair at the time of John's death it was during the off-season so no matches were around the corner.

Not for Port, but the finals were on at the time.

I remember because many Collingwood players seemed very emotional during their PF match against the Swans.

Pinched this from Reddit and made it my avatar.

qoaIt5g.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm one of the first to criticise the media, but in this case, I think that they presented it the best that they could. Maybe they didn't want to give the full extent of his condition until they were absolutely sure.

The thing is, I think that maybe they were told early on it wouldn't be good news, and they didn't want to be too gloomy, but couldn't give false hope either.

Just hard to say anything. Heard this at work and still numb.

A young death is always a tragedy, but to see a talented individual who had put his life into something - taking the barbs and blows as they came and soldiering on, struck down in his prime before he could see the true fruits of his labour is utterly heartbreaking.

Can't even imagine how those close to him must feel, along with Sean Abbott.

RIP Phil

Once again I hate tabloids(some on my twitter search)

I know Jones has a poor track record but I don't think he would have said something like that without the blessing of Hughes' family. He'd been a friend of Hughes' for a long time.

Sadly it was actually a worrying precursor of what we were about to hear.

I suspect Jones was given the blessing to say what he did - he's a friend of the family.

Until he made that statement, most of us were hoping/expecting that Philip would be alright, I think they knew that wasn't the case, and wanted to prevent that false hope from getting even worse.

Was in the car with friends when one sombrely read out of his phone "Hughes passed away". Cue a silent car where the only words said were "****, how could this happen", "I can't ****ing believe it".

Beyond words, thoughts go out to his family, to his friends, to anyone who ever knew him, and Sean Abbott.

Was a giddy school kid when he scored his 100s at Kingsmead. That's a memory of him I'll take for the rest of my life.

Vale Phillip Hughes.

Just dreadful news. I loved watching him bat, and I was really looking forward to watching him playing in the Australian team again.
RIP Phillip

I'm one of the first to criticise the media, but in this case, I think that they presented it the best that they could. Maybe they didn't want to give the full extent of his condition until they were absolutely sure.

The thing is, I think that maybe they were told early on it wouldn't be good news, and they didn't want to be too gloomy, but couldn't give false hope either.

I reckon that's fair enough. By the amount of people that seemed to be going to the hospital in hindsight it seemed pretty obvious what was going on unfortunately.

Inside Cricket about to start, will watch and raise a beer to the highlights of the man I'm sure they'll show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back