Discussion on Pick #35 - Harrison Wigg

Remove this Banner Ad

Initial feelings, purely because we have Brown, Laird, Jaensch, Grigg on our list already, were quite underwhelming.

However, our kick-outs are very sub-par and with Smith moving to the midfield it will likely get worse.

If Wigg truly has 1) an elite kick, 2) great decision making and 3) composure under pressure as claimed, then he could very well fill a vital role that Jaensch, Brown struggle with.

In the interim, perhaps Grigg could do it.

IMO Brown will eventually move to the midfield and Matty J is still has some work to do to convince me that he is a 150 game player

Wigg and Grigg changing it up between HB and Wing would do me nicely

"He was a driving force in us winning the national championships because we were able to transition the ball quickly out of defence and through the middle of the ground because the way he could slice things up."- Brenton Phillips.

Reckon hes our new kickerinerer.
Might send a few to the left. That would break the mold.

II saw another video that's appears better than those two. He's been touted by many as being an elite left foot so I wouldn't worry about his kicking.

Not sure on his position though. Given we have Brown and Laird and even Jaensch. Where would he slot in?
Don't forget Kelly too. He seemed to be pretty hyped up internally. At least under the old regime.. maybe Walsh has different ideas.

I'm not writing Wigg off on a strangely cut together highlights package but did anyone foresee us drafting another small defender today?

See him playing on a wing. Play him out in space where he can use his skill at least early.

Don't forget Kelly too. He seemed to be pretty hyped up internally. At least under the old regime.. maybe Walsh has different ideas.

I'm not writing Wigg off on a strangely cut together highlights package but did anyone foresee us drafting another small defender today?

I don't think they would be looking at him as a small defender per se. More of a distributor off half back or even a small midfielder/wingman?? But if they are looking at him as someone off half back then he would still have to take someone's spot that I mentioned earlier.

We may not have. I have heard stories before of players being drafted to clubs that didn't even bother to interview them.

Yep I double checked and turned out we didn't interview him (am told this is what Harrison said himself). Interesting to say the least. I thought interviews was just part of drafting 101.

Yep I double checked and turned out we didn't interview him (am told this is what Harrison said himself). Interesting to say the least. I thought interviews was just part of drafting 101.

Personally I think they're overrated in football terms.

These are 17-18 year old kids and I think it's very easy to get tricked into going for a kid who interviews well, perhaps just because his parents could afford a private school education and tutoring in interviews, rather than whether he can actually play football.

Being an SA kid as well, the Crows would have plenty of trusted contacts in SA to get the lowdown on what he's actually like.

It may simply be a case that they ring Brenton Phillips and say "what's he like?" And they trust his response.

Still a little strange that he wouldn't have been interviewed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we create that highlight reel to throw people off the scent? ;)

I found watching the clips quite hard at times. You'd watch the afl.com.au clip and they'd look a million bucks and then the YouTube one and you wouldn't want to touch them with a 10' barge pole.

You've got one clip actively trying to sell the player and another almost trying to put him down.

I found watching the clips quite hard at times. You'd watch the afl.com.au clip and they'd look a million bucks and then the YouTube one and you wouldn't want to touch them with a 10' barge pole.

You've got one clip actively trying to sell the player and another almost trying to put him down.
If you watch this bloke in the championships he played OK as a backman but he took every kickout in all 3 games I watched and was nothing short of brilliant as the quarterback. We transitioned the ball from fullback to forward time after time and it was always from him kicking 60 to a guy on the burst and hitting him on the tit. Make no mistake we will all love this kid for years to come and he will become as important to us as Suckling is to Hawthorn.

We should lock this and then open it again after round 10 next year.

It's amazing how many draftees get talked up like they are going to be champions.

By round 10, you will get a much better indication of how the player will go.

Right now, it's a crap shoot. No idea if he will stay in the SANFL or becomer a good AFL player but some crazy comparisons are getting made.
Good player but not something we need. A left footed version of laird. Already have too many of these types. We needed speed

I've got some real reservations about Wigg.

At his height he's already limited with regards to what he can do defensively. He's too small to take any medium forwards. He's too slow to take the quick ones. It's a rare matchup that'd defensively suit him - blokes like Porplyzia would, but not much more. He's too small to effectively play as a loose man. A defender needs to defend first - and I worry about Wigg's ability to do that. His footskills are lovely, that's not a worry (though he does have to be fed the ball wide). I think if he's to make it it's as an outside mid or even a half forward controlling our entries. I'd like to see him make it but I'm worried. I'd have been a little less worried about a Cavka or McGrath type. Frustrating that Viojo, Howe, Lamb, Blakely and Menadue all went so close to our selection - quality really thinned out after Blakely IMO.

Moves very well in or through traffic, finds space and a target. Strong nuggetty frame. Is a proven performer being rated MVP in a successful team. Can see him eventually playing midfield. Will be interesting to watch his development.

Obviously we're valuing foot skills now which is a welcome change.

Drawing on from this, hopefully it means we'll start picking Mitch Grigg now. Complete waste of a season for him (and us) in 2014.

Obviously we're valuing foot skills now which is a welcome change.

Drawing on from this, hopefully it means we'll start picking Mitch Grigg now. Complete waste of a season for him (and us) in 2014.
Hopefully the tactics regarding who is picked for the green vest change. Instead of giving it to a player "rewarded" by form in the Sanfl team and into the 22, it should go to the player in the 22 that has the marginal form. Keep them on their toes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back