Discussion on Pick #35 - Harrison Wigg

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you still think we got it wrong?
Um lets see YEP!!!!! We could of got Lever with pick 10 and the three players who went before him would have been options as well. We gained nothing from the move. Wigg is no gun and another small defender is not what we needed before the draft. Even the club didnt flag us needing another small. Maybe we just traded the first left footer we saw you know, cos Hawthorn have lots of lefties.

Um lets see YEP!!!!! We could of got Lever with pick 10 and the three players who went before him would have been options as well. We gained nothing from the move. Wigg is no gun and another small defender is not what we needed before the draft. Even the club didnt flag us needing another small. Maybe we just traded the first left footer we saw you know, cos Hawthorn have lots of lefties.
You could take it on the chin and accept you were wrong but instead you continue to post utterlu stupid crap. You were wrong, deal with it.

Ogilvie said that Walsh was keen to get a leftie in, plus they picked best available talent with each pick

Hence Wigg. I'm prepared to back him in and see how he develops. His lack of height isn't a surprise to the recruiters, so they must have a clue on how best to use him

And yep, I reckon Walshy is building a bit of a Hawthorn model with elite kickers

You could take it on the chin and accept you were wrong but instead you continue to post utterlu stupid crap. You were wrong, deal with it.
You are off your chops. Haha, everyone knows we missed Maynard with our second which is what we wanted so its a bust. But dont worry I will haunt you over it in the coming years, and feel free to do the same. You proberbly think we would have drafted Siggins with our first or second round pick if we had them at the time. I bet im right about him as well.

You're an idiot.

Instead of Lever and Menadue, we got Lever, Wigg, Cheney and Lowden.

I'd have liked one of the players listed in the previous few picks before Wigg, but I'm also willing to back in the recruiters and the All Australian/MVP.

It's a pity that Tapatalk doesn't let you block posters, because you just offer the same rubbish over and over again.

An elite left foot kick, we barely have any lefties let alone elite kicks...... now we have 2.

Let him develop in the SANFL and try to use him up field.

You are off your chops. Haha, everyone knows we missed Maynard with our second which is what we wanted so its a bust. But dont worry I will haunt you over it in the coming years, and feel free to do the same. You proberbly think we would have drafted Siggins with our first or second round pick if we had them at the time. I bet im right about him as well.

So missing the nuggety inside mid and getting the silky outside mid/def is a disaster.

You have absolutely no idea at all. You shape everything you see to support your anti-Crow biases. Feel free to leave.

Last edited:
Do you honestly think we upgraded that 2nd round pick just to get Maynard? You don't think they realized he was highly rated by other clubs? You don't think the crows simply wanted to get an upgrade to the second round because it was basically a free hit and the available talent at 35 would be much better than 47? Think, please. Your anger is clouding your judgment and it's getting sad.

I think you would have a special knack in finding the negative in whatever we do. Time will tell.

Not that it really matters but Harrison Wigg was rated one of AFL.com's top 30 "Draft trumps". Looking back at that list of 30 all of them were drafted and all but about 5 of them went in the top 30 with a few of those going in the 30-35 range. Clem Smith and Ed Langdon were the only to go after Pick 50 (as well as Zaine Cordy but he was a F/S bargain for the Bulldogs at Pick 62.

So it's fair to say Wigg was highly rated and deserved to go at #35.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skippos post nailed it - we just missed out on the gun mids with Blakely going at 34.

I'm distraught (relatively) that we missed out on Menadue - he is EXACTLY what we need; blinding outside pace and carry with seriously good footskills.

I'm happy to have Cheney and Lowden but I strongly question that there wasn't a better way to get them.

Skippos post nailed it - we just missed out on the gun mids with Blakely going at 34.

I'm distraught (relatively) that we missed out on Menadue - he is EXACTLY what we need; blinding outside pace and carry with seriously good footskills.

I'm happy to have Cheney and Lowden but I strongly question that there wasn't a better way to get them.
That is the nature of the draft unfortunately. If we'd kept Pick 31 and drafted Menadue there would likely be a bunch of posters on here lamenting the fact that we just missed out on a great talent who went at Pick 29. It's human nature to dwell on the 'near misses', so it's best to just leave it behind and focus on the kids we have got.

I just have this sinking feeling we've been down this path before;
Sub 180cm
AA u/18
Quarter backed the SA side to winning the champs with elite disposal across half back

Ladies and gentleman - please meet ...James Battersby
Battersby based on many reports was a bit of a tool, Wigg is the polar opposite.

179cm isn't that short. Brown is listed as 172cm for comparison.

On the AFC site he's listed as 181cm. He's definitely notably taller than 172cm.

Good player but not something we need. A left footed version of laird. Already have too many of these types. We needed speed

We have too many left footed, elite kicks of the football? Huh?

That is the nature of the draft unfortunately. If we'd kept Pick 31 and drafted Menadue there would likely be a bunch of posters on here lamenting the fact that we just missed out on a great talent who went at Pick 29. It's human nature to dwell on the 'near misses', so it's best to just leave it behind and focus on the kids we have got.

Maybe - but I'm commenting on the fact we HAD 31 and I'm looking at who we've missed out on after giving that up.

Wigg's height worries me too, especially being predominately a defender at this point.

Are you really that naive? Hours and hours of reseach means they picked him for a very good reason. We were very quick to pick all our players. We went in with a plan and executed it. Now we wait and see. Clearly there are never any guarantees.

On the AFC site he's listed as 181cm. He's definitely notably taller than 172cm.
He missed the draft combine so the 179cm measurement may be an old one. He could well be 181cm as the club is claiming. Not sure it matters anyway. Anything around 180 is fine for his role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back