Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As discussed earlier, the helmet has lulled batsmen into false senses of security. You didn't dare take your eye off the ball back then.
They also tended to go back and across to play the hook shot whereas a lot of modern cricketers play it off the front foot,

They also tended to go back and across to play the hook shot whereas a lot of modern cricketers play it off the front foot,
Yes Clarke used to front full hook all the time. Not as much in the last couple of years.

The other thing as well is quick bowlers rarely bowled bouncers at tail enders, so those who copped bouncers were generally the best equipped to handle it.

As discussed earlier, the helmet has lulled batsmen into false senses of security. You didn't dare take your eye off the ball back then.
Yes I totally get that, but although it happened less people still occasionally got hit in the head wearing just a hat or something, I find it very surprising that more haven't died from some sort of head injury.

to think he was roundly bagged here during last years tour.

We loved to 'dislike' him but having met him he genuinely is a great bloke. Not surprised one bit Swanny did this for Phil. Genuinely good bloke. Most cricketers are doing a form of a tribute though.

470023-63ae2576-760f-11e4-95cb-53e820554b16.jpg

Never felt this sad about someone I don't know personally passing away. RIP Phillip Hughes.

It's virtually impossible to see a cricket ball travelling at 135km/h once it's hit the deck. I don't think it would have made a difference here. Just one of those freak things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox Sports have been covering this well I think, but I do wish they would stop referring to it as a "story" :(

That's the amazing thing: none were fatal from my understanding.
There have been plenty of fatal incidents both pre and post helmets. Not a whole lot at first class level, mostly at club level so you don't really hear much about them, particularly if they are outside of Australia. None at international level that I'm aware of.

It's extremely rare when you consider how many people play every Saturday of every Summer across the world.

Great idea just on Tom Elliots 3AW show, play the Test next week and name Phil Hughes and just field with a sub. His name on the scoreboard would be a permanent reminder and when its his turn to bat there will be a minute silence. Would be a great moment in world sport. And the suggestion India could also play with 1 less player.

I love it.

There have been plenty of fatal incidents both pre and post helmets. Not a whole lot at first class level, mostly at club level so you don't really hear much about them, particularly if they are outside of Australia. None at international level that I'm aware of.

It's extremely rare when you consider how many people play every Saturday of every Summer across the world.
It's about 1 per year that I am aware of, not always head related, a guy guy hit over the heart in Perth two years ago, one got zapped by lightning 5-6 years before that. It happens - there is an inherent risk in everything we do. This was just a tragic accident.

Great idea just on Tom Elliots 3AW show, play the Test next week and name Phil Hughes and just field with a sub. His name on the scoreboard would be a permanent reminder and when its his turn to bat there will be a minute silence. Would be a great moment in world sport. And the suggestion India could also play with 1 less player.

I love it.
He wouldn't want that. That's overkill.

I love it.
The funeral is going to be in Macksville next week, no way that 4-5 of the Australians will be any fit state to play in the Test. Not right to put a 2nd XI on the ground. This is a one of situation, the Test will just have to be scrapped .

I love it.

No. You can't play with 10. Would be happy him named 12th man but even that I would doubt the family would want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back