The 'How the hell did they survive that ?' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer, that sheila who froze, was she lucky. I would never give her a car license.

Just seen this pop up on Facebook.....how they managed to not hit a spectator is amazing (sit through the slow-mo to see the full damage to the car):

saw that on the news last night and it mentioned the only injury was one of the spectators fainted.Not hard to guess which one it would've been.

It's quite funny to see the "won't somebody think of the children?" crowd from the Bianchi thread in here looking at the videos and pictures.

Anyway, you'd have to be brain dead to sit on the outside of a high speed corner at a rally. I'm guessing they won't be doing that again.

Been looking for this for 30 years.
Remember seeing it on the news that night.
Coupla broken legs

^^ i remember a pic of him mid-air in the 84 Australian Motorsport annual

uploader has stuff i haven't seen before
( still never found the 88 saturday AGP v8 race or the 98 V8SC from mallala though :( )

Last edited:
Been looking for this for 30 years.
Remember seeing it on the news that night.
Coupla broken legs

^^ i remember a pic of him mid-air in the 84 Australian Motorsport annual

uploader has stuff i haven't seen before
( still never found the 88 saturday AGP v8 race or the 98 V8SC from mallala though :( )

Don't remember that one :(
Loving that youtube channel though - so many memories.

Back on topic, a couple more pics of the aftermath of classic Bathurst crashes:
John Keran 1970 (never raced again):
johnkeran1970.jpg

Rod McRae 1974 (after aquaplaning in the wet and hitting a tree. Survived with minor injuries):
rodmcrae1974.JPG

Markus Niemela at the PAS. Snapped the RR axle on throwing the car into the corner, like Tim McCreadie did at the Chili Bowl going back a few years. Two angles, 2nd more frightening. The top of a Sprintcar chassis, above the drivers head, is a weakspot. Luckily for Niemela, it held together pretty well. The fence held together well. He got cut from the wreckage, taken to hospital and released later that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only how did Mark Webber survive this,how is it that it looks like he's escaped any injury ?

Looks like everything crumbled except the survival cell. Strong testament to the safety these days.

He's also familiar with that wall. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten the 2003 Brazillian GP.

He's also familiar with that wall. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten the 2003 Brazillian GP.
pretty sure this race isn't at interlagos

edit - i am incredibly wrong... :eek:

Pastor could wipe out half an Indycar field in one go if he ever went over there.
I picture him hitting the wall and somehow keeping the car going so as to take out the entire field all around the track.

If you were giving out an award for this thread I reckon Webber would be pretty hard to beat with some of the incidents he has been involved in throughout his career. Amazing to think that he has probably suffered more damage from bicycling than motor racing despite the amount of times he has flipped a car or crashed into a wall at high speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back