The Joy of Six: Politics and Sport

Broadcasters want to have it both ways. They want to elevate sport to an art to justify it's 'importance' beyond entertainment but they don't want anything political to be drawn from it lest that scare away the punters. Sport is either of it's place and representative of it's people and time or it's a giant waste of time...in my opinion.

The sporting boycott of South Africa and the Gleneagles Agreement played an important role in ridding South Africa of the scourge of Apartheid, anyone who says sports and politics shouldn't mix is kidding themselves or should watch a Leni Reifenstahl film.

Done well sport can also help with things like gay rights and lessening the violence against women.

Done well sport can also help with things like gay rights and lessening the violence against women.
Having spent five glorious days at the cricket this week, I was pleased to see that the ICC code of conduct has been expanded to include sexual orientation in it's list of verboten vilification. Up until this year it was only race, religion, and gender.

Having spent five glorious days at the cricket this week, I was pleased to see that the ICC code of conduct has been expanded to include sexual orientation in it's list of verboten vilification. Up until this year it was only race, religion, and gender.

Seems a bit arbitrary now what sledging is allowed.

Player A : why are you so fat?
Player B : because every time I 'made love' to your wife she gave me a biscuit.

Player C : why are you so fat?
Player D : because every time I 'made love' to your boyfriend he gave me a biscuit.

Player D faces action under the vilification code.

Why would you take offence at that? If you're a gay bloke that would be a legit sledge and if it was directed at a straight bloke then you're being a homophobic a-hole whose pocket deserves to be lightened.

I am not even sure it is being too homophobic as the player making the sledge is saying that he is having gay sex as well. I suppose it is homophobic slightly but definitely on the lower end of the scale.

Seems a bit arbitrary now what sledging is allowed.

Player C : why are you so fat?
Player D : because every time I 'made love' to your boyfriend he gave me a biscuit.

Player D faces action under the vilification code.

Easy solution:

Player E : Why are you so fat?
Player F : Because every time I 'made love' to your partner they gave me a biscuit.

Why would you take offence at that? If you're a gay bloke that would be a legit sledge and if it was directed at a straight bloke then you're being a homophobic a-hole whose pocket deserves to be lightened.

and if I said it to someone without regard for their sexuality?

That's the problem with 'offense' being the yardstick, the 'winners' are those who take offense more easily.

I agree that some things shouldn't be said, but there is also a point where the response to the 'victim' should be to harden the * up.

A comment should be either acceptable or not, regardless of who hears it.

and if I said it to someone without regard for their sexuality?

That's the problem with 'offense' being the yardstick, the 'winners' are those who take offense more easily.

I agree that some things shouldn't be said, but there is also a point where the response to the 'victim' should be to harden the **** up.

A comment should be either acceptable or not, regardless of who hears it.
Being called gay is/was an insult, it's not taking offense, it's about correcting an untruth. There's nothing wrong with being gay.

Being called gay is/was an insult, it's not taking offense, it's about correcting an untruth. There's nothing wrong with being gay.

I'm not suggesting there is.

I'm saying if you had no idea about a persons sexuality and made a comment that offended becuase of their sexuality, then the 'victim' is being overly sensative.

To use the earlier example.

Let's say these players had met previously, but didn't really know each other, so A made this as a generic comment.

What if B was a gay guy took offense at that because Player A was denying his sexuality?

I just want people to stop using the word gay as an insult, it's stupid and immature. Then we avoid all the problems of who might be or might not be offended too. It's not that hard.

The post you responded to wasn't using that word as an insult. It was the suggestion that someone was gay that you seemed to consider insulting.

Personally, I don't care if someone thinks/says/suggests I'm gay, because I don't see anything wrong with being gay, so how could I be offended by the suggestion?

I just want people to stop using the word gay as an insult, it's stupid and immature. Then we avoid all the problems of who might be or might not be offended too. It's not that hard.
You might want to practice what you preach , i on another forum posted respectfully in regard to gay issues, and all you could do was fling mud. Hypocrisy much.

It's only witless homophobes such as yourself Louis that are offended by it, as an insult it is redundant.

So you're allowed to insult people however you want because you hold yourself to be pure of spirit, but nobody else gets the same freedom?

Back