Politics podcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Does anyone have any good political podcasts they listen to? Preferably auspol but if you have others let me know.

I've found two recently which are good weekly snapshots of Aussie politics - Australian Politics published by The Guardian and New Politics: Australian Politics.

I also listen to Project Censored podcast occasionally and Useful Idiots with Matt Taibbi & Katie Halper.

Does anyone have any good political podcasts they listen to? Preferably auspol but if you have others let me know.

I've found two recently which are good weekly snapshots of Aussie politics - Australian Politics published by The Guardian and New Politics: Australian Politics.

I also listen to Project Censored podcast occasionally and Useful Idiots with Matt Taibbi & Katie Halper.

for USA politics, I like the NPR politics poddy, and Ken Rudin's Political Junkie

Another one I've stumbled on is 7am which is a daily podcast usually about 20 minutes or so in length.

The New Politics podcast is great, albeit unashamedly pro-left/anti-LNP.

The Guardian also have a similar podcast to 7am called Full Story that’s quite good.

If you enjoy left wing takes on things like I do, Socially Democratic is a great one, their coverage of the Victorian election was top notch. If you’re not opposed to Van Badham and being told to join your union every 10 minutes The Week on Wednesday is also quite good.

For American politics, I’ll listen to Pod Save America for a Democratic view and then the Planet America podcast by Chas from the Chaser for a more disconnected view.

The problem for conservatives and podcasts is that they usually involve a lengthy period of intelligent, rational and measured discussion. Right wingers are more attracted to short, 3 or 4 minute rant sessions from shock jocks.
political podcasts are basically gossip anyway, complete waste of time

better off listening to hard news and current affairs and drawing your own conclusions

political podcasts are basically gossip anyway, complete waste of time

better off listening to hard news and current affairs and drawing your own conclusions
Some of them offer good commentary - it's basically the difference between watching the news or watching a panel program. Straight news doesn't always give the context that commentary can.

Guardian Politics for Australia because Katherine Murphy is, along with Laura Tingle, a rare voice of reason.

For US politics, The Economist’s Checks and Balance each weekend is excellent.

Some of them offer good commentary - it's basically the difference between watching the news or watching a panel program. Straight news doesn't always give the context that commentary can.
the difference is that panel programs (good ones, not Q&A-style theatre) have actual experts who collaboratively explore a policy area

I am always wary of people who treat ‘politics’ as a discrete area of competency. Politics is just the way policy is implemented. The way to form good political opinions is to understand the policy area and draw your own conclusions.

Political pundits talking about what politicians are doing in the political arena is just gossip. Nothing more, nothing less. Gossip is sometimes fun but it shouldn’t be mistaken for substance.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back