Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Phone, what are your thoughts on the South African's chances for the World Cup?

Quentin De Kock really is such an important component to the proteas side. Both as an opening partner to Hashim and as a first choice keeper to allow AB De Villiers the chance to focus on his captaincy duties alone.

The other team is the Black Caps. Desite not having many truly world class players, they are a bsttle hardened team who play for each other is the one team who will surprise a few and may actually see in the final game of the WC.

They're a flawed team, unfortunately. Question marks over Miller, Behardien and to an extent, Philander to an extent, and even bigger question marks over their depth players in Abbott, Phangiso, Rossouw and Parnell

JPD's return is much bigger for South Africa than the possible loss of De Kock though. Strengths the vulnerable lower order and allows AB to move back up to 4, and he's also someone they trust to bowl overs. He might even get played as their spinner, similar to Maxwell. (They really shouldn't though. Imran Tahir is fine in OD cricket). Obviously they've got the two best OD batsman in the world plus a mostly fine bowling attack, but the 2nd tier players are a worry. I hope they do well though. The OD series against Australia was probably not that big a deal, but it left me worried

It really is a shame that David Miller has never scored an ODI century. Watch him tear the WC to bits. Similar to Yuvraj in '07. The talent is all there, just needs the right conditions and the confidence to go for broke from 5 now.

Definitely agree that the second tier players are questionable. The bottom 2 players in that best XI SA side are the weak links (duh.. ?), are they up to WC winning able?

As mentioned, the Black Caps as well as a smokey in England to come good and make the final 8.

Id fully expect Australia, South Africa, India and New Zealand to once again be in the semi finals.

glenn maxwell is a fascinating human being

Have to query whether he has the head for it as a batsmen. It wasn't pretty last night.

If Doherty is not being selected to play as a bowler in each game on merit you have to query the balance of the squad. It's a hangover of the ridiculous notion that developed in Australia that spinners are primarily defensive bowlers.

What is O'Keefe's problem in the one day arena? His first class numbers are exceptional (head and shoulders above anyone else) and he is versatile enough to be considered a bowling all-rounder. As you said, Lyon has been bowling very well.

On another point, I don't understand why Finch and Warner can't open together and why Watson needs to be promoted. I'm not in love with Finch as a player but I'd say the thing that sets Finch and Watson/Warner apart is that he generally builds an innings which compliments Warner's boundary hitting more than Watson who is basically only hitting boundaries.

Last edited:
Have to query whether he has the head for it as a batsmen. It wasn't pretty last night.

If Doherty is not being selected to play as a bowler in each game on merit you have to query the balance of the squad. It's a hangover of the ridiculous notion that developed in Australia that spinners are primarily defensive bowlers.

What is O'Keefe's problem in the one day arena? His first class numbers are exceptional (head and shoulders above anyone else) and he is versatile enough to be considered a bowling all-rounder. As you said, Lyon has been bowling very well.

On another point, I don't understand why Finch and Warner can't open together and why Watson needs to be promoted. I'm not in love with Finch as a player but I'd say the thing that sets Finch and Watson/Warner apart is that he generally builds an innings which compliments Warner's boundary hitting more than Watson who is basically only hitting boundaries.
O'Keefe is the most overrated player in Australian cricket. His List A record is shocking, cannot get the ball above a batsman's eyes and his FC record says more about Australia's batsman than it does him about his bowling. For me the player that deserves a go at ODI level is Jon Holland, he doesn't turn it much but he gets it to really drop late, and to me he could be a 35/4 split at ODI level, which would surpass Doherty comfortably.

In other news Phone, Rillee Rosouvw posted his maiden hundred and a double century stand with Amla.

South Africa 1/266 (39.4)

Rossouvw 128
Amla 115 not out
De Villiers 12 not out (5 balls)

Would have been an interesting conversation with Faf at 3.

"Take a seat champ, i got this"

I didn't realise De Villiers started so slowly

O'Keefe is the most overrated player in Australian cricket. His List A record is shocking, cannot get the ball above a batsman's eyes and his FC record says more about Australia's batsman than it does him about his bowling. For me the player that deserves a go at ODI level is Jon Holland, he doesn't turn it much but he gets it to really drop late, and to me he could be a 35/4 split at ODI level, which would surpass Doherty comfortably.

Be that as it may. Bowling averages don't lie.

Whether it would translate to competitive bowling in the international areas is another matter.

If we are looking for economy then the lack of flight should assist in one day cricket?

Be that as it may. Bowling averages don't lie.

Whether it would translate to competitive bowling in the international areas is another matter.

If we are looking for economy then the lack of flight should assist in one day cricket?
They also rarely spell the full story. India would eat him up for Breakfast.

It's strange, his action lends itself to List A cricket instead of FC cricket but he's better at FC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head is an impressive player.

There is a list of quality young keeper-batsmen cuing up behind Wade.

Carters and Head are at the top of the list as batsmen. Carters, at least, can keep in addition to being a top order player. He's put together a pretty good season and a half in the shield.

4 tonnes and an average of about 50 opening the batting (based on my recollection that he had played a dozen or so matches without a tonne by the time he had scored his first last year).

I suppose he just needs to start keeping in the Shield for it to become a reality.

Last edited:
Head is an impressive player..

There is a list of quality young keeper-batsmen cuing up behind Wade.

Carters and Head are at the top of the list as batsmen. Carters, at least, can keep in addition to being a top order player. He's put together
Head's not a keeper. Wade's a better keeper.

Just going off ESPN profile.

There are Whiteman and Peirson around too.
Whiteman's a very good keeper. Peirson can't get a game for Queensland unfortunately.

It really is a shame that David Miller has never scored an ODI century. Watch him tear the WC to bits. Similar to Yuvraj in '07. The talent is all there, just needs the right conditions and the confidence to go for broke from 5 now.

Definitely agree that the second tier players are questionable. The bottom 2 players in that best XI SA side are the weak links (duh.. ?), are they up to WC winning able?

As mentioned, the Black Caps as well as a smokey in England to come good and make the final 8.

Id fully expect Australia, South Africa, India and New Zealand to once again be in the semi finals.

There is a very strange thing in South African cricket. They basically had one of the greatest teams that never was.

If it wasn't for the quota system and some odd quirks with match fixing and early retirements there should have been a 5 to 7 year period during which their team could have been:

01. Smith
02. Gibbs
03. Amla
04. Kallis
05. KP
06. De Villiers
07. Boucher (wk)
08. Philander
09. Steyn
10. Morkel
11. Spinner?

Only real query is on the spinner which probably holds them back but that is a batting line up like no other. They're all of an age that would have allowed them to play together for years.

There is a very strange thing in South African cricket. They basically had one of the greatest teams that never was.

If it wasn't for the quota system and some odd quirks with match fixing and early retirements there should have been a 5 to 7 year period during which their could have been based around:

01. Smith
02. Gibbs
03. Amla
04. Kallis
05. KP
06. De Villiers
07. Boucher (wk)
08. Philander
09. Steyn
10. Morkel
11. Spinner?

Only real query is on the spinner which probably holds them back but that is a batting line up like no other. They're all of an age that would have allowed them to play together for years.
Ntini for Philander and Pollock for Morkel, maybe play Duminy at 7 and play him as the #1 spinner.

If it wasn't for the quota system and some odd quirks with match fixing and early retirements there should have been a 5 to 7 year period during which their team could have been:

01. Smith
02. Gibbs
03. Amla
04. Kallis
05. KP
06. De Villiers
07. Boucher (wk)
08. Philander
09. Steyn
10. Morkel
11. Spinner?

3340660-2523466256-11834.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back