Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

in other news, Boak, Boomer and Stevie J broke down in tears of joy at today's news of Crowley's positive result

I think this is gonna **** up Fremantle's season

Generally speaking (not necessarily referring to Crowley) I can't believe in this day and age, so many sports people are still stupid enough to not only take a banned substance, but also to think they'll be able to get away with it undetected.
Kane was on the sports show on Saturday & spoke about carefully reading the ingredients of anything he eats/drinks, he even takes pictures of the back of stuff like energy drinks then sends them to the club docs before ingesting them.

The hosts bagged him out about it & said he must be a pain to shop with given how long that cautious approach would take but Kane was right in saying it's better to be safe than sorry given how often they get tested.

At 31, Crowley's AFL years are probably over. Sad to see.

Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance

FREMANTLE tagger Ryan Crowley faces a two-year ban from the AFL after testing positive to a banned substance.

Crowley, 31, tested positive after the Dockers’ win against GWS in Round 17 last year.

The Dockers say the banned substance was contained in a painkiller that Crowley obtained outside the club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...banned-substance/story-fni5f22o-1227264866450

Kane was on the sports show on Saturday & spoke about carefully reading the ingredients of anything he eats/drinks, he even takes pictures of the back of stuff like energy drinks then sends them to the club docs before ingesting them.

The hosts bagged him out about it & said he must be a pain to shop with given how long that cautious approach would take but Kane was right in saying it's better to be safe than sorry given how often they get tested.
What a great contrast to the caution that the Essendon players showed with what they were ingesting/injected with.

Here's a couple of them now..
1410937895_1386581273_1xicmoo_2ckmnnwl.gif

At 31, Crowley's AFL years are probably over. Sad to see.

Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance

FREMANTLE tagger Ryan Crowley faces a two-year ban from the AFL after testing positive to a banned substance.

Crowley, 31, tested positive after the Dockers’ win against GWS in Round 17 last year.

The Dockers say the banned substance was contained in a painkiller that Crowley obtained outside the club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...banned-substance/story-fni5f22o-1227264866450

I think it'll depend on the length of the ban re: retirement. That being said, this seems to be a pretty clear cut case. Positive test, not prescribed by club doctor. A 12 month ban will result in him missing the entire season. Can't see him coming back from that. If he only gets 9 months though and can come back mid season, I'm sure he'll play on.

Got to chuckle, with round 1 coming up have had Freo fans paying out on me in good fun saying 2 of our players won't be available due to ASADA, then a day later Crowley gets done.Reminds me of half time at the semi final when they were telling me at Subi to enjoy the last 2 quarters of our season, when will they learn?

Saad got whacked hard because it was a stimulant he tested positive to. If what Crowley tested positive to wasn't a stimulant, there's a real chance he may not cop such a heavy punishment.

I think this is gonna **** up Fremantle's season
It's an interesting concept....Freo potentially without a (strong) tagger...maybe more attacking football?? Crowley hardly missed a game in the last 3 years....You guys do ok without a strong tagger (i assume)? we'll see how this pans out, it may not be bad to remove the negating role ryan plays... Is it better to have a tagger or not?

none the less looking forward to round 1 :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it'll depend on the length of the ban re: retirement. That being said, this seems to be a pretty clear cut case. Positive test, not prescribed by club doctor. A 12 month ban will result in him missing the entire season. Can't see him coming back from that. If he only gets 9 months though and can come back mid season, I'm sure he'll play on.

True, he would be shattered.

Watching him at the press conference, he looked like he just wanted to hide under blanket . Lets see what he actually gets done for. I am not sure how the penalty system works, if the substance is not performance enhancing perhaps it will be a less severe penalty.

Saad got whacked hard because it was a stimulant he tested positive to. If what Crowley tested positive to wasn't a stimulant, there's a real chance he may not cop such a heavy punishment.
He hasn't tried to hold up the process at all, if it's a non-stimulant then 6 months backdated is fine to me (if it does result in him facing us). Players deserve punishments, but in this case why on earth is it taking so long in what should be a clear cut case? ASADA are bloody slow as treacle.

It's an interesting concept....Freo potentially without a (strong) tagger...maybe more attacking football?? Crowley hardly missed a game in the last 3 years....You guys do ok without a strong tagger (i assume)? we'll see how this pans out, it may not be bad to remove the negating role ryan plays... Is it better to have a tagger or not?

none the less looking forward to round 1 :thumbsu:
Cornes tends to be our main tagger, Cassisi too until he retired

The bit I find troubling with Crowley testing positive last year in round 17, did him still playing affect any results in the games before finals last year? ASADA stuffed that up as by rights a positive test should rule you out instantly as far as I'm aware.

He hasn't tried to hold up the process at all, if it's a non-stimulant then 6 months backdated is fine to me (if it does result in him facing us). Players deserve punishments, but in this case why on earth is it taking so long in what should be a clear cut case? ASADA are bloody slow as treacle.

ASADA slow? How's that then? ASADA have issued the SCN, he is waiting for AFL tribunal hearing.

ASADA slow? How's that then? ASADA have issued the SCN, he is waiting for AFL tribunal hearing.

The B sample took a long time to be tested. Crowley wasn't even aware he was in trouble until the SCN arrived.

Ok, solid facts from P.Keane's Twitter:

Crowley tested positive to a specified substance that on the WADA code allows the player to continue playing if he chooses to.

Timeline:

- 13/7 Sample collected
- 11/8 A Test
- 18/8 Player told of A Test result
- 11/9 B Test
- 18/9 SCN
- 25/9 Provisional Ban

Crowley tested positive to a specified substance that on the WADA code allows the player to continue playing if he chooses to.

Timeline:

- 13/7 Sample collected
- 11/8 A Test
- 11/9 B Test
- 18/9 SCN
- 25/9 Provisional Ban
That explains it thanks for that.

Crowley tested positive to a specified substance that on the WADA code allows the player to continue playing if he chooses to.d Freo

Timeline:

- 13/7 Sample collected
- 11/8 A Test
- 11/9 B Test
- 18/9 SCN
- 25/9 Provisional Ban
We played Freo on 13/9 - interesting the B sample was tested on 11/9 - a Thursday so no chance result was known by Friday arvo.

So who covered this up for almost 6 months?? ASADA? AFL? Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back