Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea who or even if anyone will go past him.
I do know that he is a good player who busts his arse for us every week, but he is limited.
I'll take a bloke who busts his arse and basically bleeds for the jumper he wears before I take a flashy, snobby, knob of a player. Sure Gibbo is a "hit or miss" type of kick but you cant question anything else.

Can't belive people are saying Gibson is borderline best 22. He was one of the main reasons we topped Geelong and essendon. The man is an underrated gun.
Believe it, if you can't kick you can't play, especially in the modern game.
I'll take Bastinac over Gibson everyday

Yep obviously been told more of this or on your bike to the seconds...that is what is so good about finally getting to a level of depth.

Seems to me he has put on size.

Like Hansen a few years ago when we apparently offered him a putrid 1 year contract, next season he was noticeably bigger. Not hard to figure out what he was asked to do. You can't just rock up to training & be a similar size with no strength gains year in year out. It got to the stage where Hansen could not play on anyone with size so where does he play.

Similar with Basti, you need to get bigger to play where you want to play because they monster you in there, how many attempted fends were just smashed tackles & holding the pill, how many players run through your tackles, this is not the Stingrays anymore. This may explain why l think he panic kicks off the ground for goal or rushes his shots as he is used to getting crunched rather than picking it up & showing composure.

I hope he takes the chance because Turner won't sit in the forward pocket for 4 years. love his creative handballs he is probably really only a B- grade footballer at the minute but if he rises to A grade we are very well set for another 5 years in the midfield & can target the flair in the coming drafts.

Because Basti uses it better (even though can be dodgy as well) and is far better inside, in addition to running power.

Gibbo will likely play and that's fine, but as per my best 22 team it's simply impossible to pick everyone.

I agree they can both be dodgy & l think Gibson is harshly treated when it comes to what he does on here.
I think these are 2 players that you could compare simply because they are in the elite at the club for endurance & both play a
similar role & often line up on opposite wings.
Gibsons effective numbers when stacked up against Bastinac's are comparable (Its not totals based, as Basti had the vest on quite a few occasions) & l imagine Gibson would stack up against most of our midfielders.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3334&tid2=13&pid2=1829&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Can't belive people are saying Gibson is borderline best 22. He was one of the main reasons we topped Geelong and essendon. The man is an underrated gun.
But just say if everyone at the club busted their arse for one season and played to max ability .....Gibson would be on the outer probably would scrape in @ 25-26. But this is the thing, everyone at the club one reason or another isn't playing to their max potential. At the moment he's in but there are players who could easily take his spot.

People saying gibbo won't be in our best 22 at any point are on another planet. 9th in the league(!) for overall disposals last season..... I've never seen a more stupid debate on bigfooty.
How damaging were these possessions .....nobody is bagging him all they're doing is rating players in our club who we feel potentially will be better than him. Its apples and oranges stuff .....and we're 2 weeks away. Its been a loooong summer.

How damaging were these possessions .....nobody is bagging him all they're doing is rating players in our club who we feel potentially will be better than him. Its apples and oranges stuff .....and we're 2 weeks away. Its been a loooong summer.
Obviously he's not a great kick, but if Gibson doesn't play then the backs won't have anyone to kick it to. How many times is he the target when kicking out of the defensive 50, particularly from switches? They may look like cheap possessions on tv, but there's nothing cheap about getting a touch because your opponent can't keep up with you

Obviously he's not a great kick, but if Gibson doesn't play then the backs won't have anyone to kick it to. How many times is he the target when kicking out of the defensive 50, particularly from switches? They may look like cheap possessions on tv, but there's nothing cheap about getting a touch because your opponent can't keep up with you

......and too often he butchers it, or kicks it 20m sideways which holds up our momentum, but goes towards explaining his DE%.

Opposition teams let him run loose because he is not damaging, it's not just about his opponent not keeping up - he is never tagged.

I like Gibbo and his work rate is important, but it remains to be seen whether he will be overtaken by more talented players. Either way it is not a bad thing for the club to be in a position to have so many options to choose from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Gibbo and his work rate is important, but it remains to be seen whether he will be overtaken by more talented players. Either way it is not a bad thing for the club to be in a position to make such a decision.

If a player on our list develops the tank and nous that Gibson has and combines it with better footskills than Gibbo, I can't think of a poster on this board who wouldn't prefer player X in the side over Gibbo.

Point being, we simply do not have that player running around in the 2s. Nor does just about any other club in the league.

If a player on our list develops the tank and nous that Gibson has and combines it with better footskills than Gibbo, I can't think of a poster on this board who wouldn't prefer player X in the side over Gibbo.

Point being, we simply do not have that player running around in the 2s. Nor does just about any other club in the league.

His nous in getting the ball is excellent as he knows where to run to receive no doubt.

Lets wait and see, it's a very difficult best 22 to break into and any player with a major flaw could be found wanting. Basti has to improve to get a spot I would think as in no doubt behind Gibbo.

Last edited:
Basti is two or three rungs behind Gibson at this stage.

His kicking is equally suspect, he doesn't run as hard, he doesn't tackle as hard and Basti is nowhere near as strong overhead. Isn't as smart getting into the right spots as Gibson.

People are quickly forgetting how s**t Basti's year was last year.

Basti is two or three rungs behind Gibson at this stage.

His kicking is equally suspect, he doesn't run as hard, he doesn't tackle as hard and Basti is nowhere near as strong overhead. Isn't as smart getting into the right spots as Gibson.

People are quickly forgetting how s**t Basti's year was last year.
People are quickly forgetting because they are trying to.

#stopbringingitup

Gibson WILL play unless injured.

Basti is sitting at 20-25 atm and needs to pull the finger out. Round 1 with intent like NAB3 please.

Yes, I believe Basti is best 22 but as a sub for round 1.
Remember he mentioned that he wants to do what Greenback did last year. He wants to play midfield consistently. Greenback played as a sub round 2 and killed it in the last quarter with 15 touches and a goal.Basti needs a good quarter as sub early in the season or will play VFL, but is good enough to come back and play well. Gibbo is a lock best 22 this year and probably next year too.

People saying Gibson isn't best 22 are crazy. Yes, Basti may be more skilled than him but football isn't just about skill level. Gibson's work rate and commitment to get the best out of himself is second to none. If Basti had that same work ethic he would be in our best 18 easily. Unfortunately, Basti just doesn't seem to have the desire to push himself to the next level and is one of our softer players. Quite disappointing cause i had high hopes for him early in his career but those hopes are diminishing.

Its not just about touches with Gibbo, its where and when he gets them.

He is a constant release valve for the team. Just when it looks like we are under pressure in the D50 and need an easy option on the back flank, look up and there's Gibbo. Just when we have run into a cul-de-sac bringing the ball down one wing and we for a switch to find a free man, there is Gibbo. You can't see this s**t on TV and you can't understand just how valuable coaches and team mates find this running. Sure, he can be hit and miss with his kicking at times, but he generally plays within his limitations whilst providing this highly undervalued attribute. And that is why he will continue to be best 22 and continue to be in the leadership group as long as there is no one else who can do what he does.

Anyone who doesn't understand this by now better just pack in the bitching and moaning about his constant selection, because this is fact.

He is a constant release valve for the team. Just when it looks like we are under pressure in the D50 and need an easy option on the back flank, look up and there's Gibbo. Just when we have run into a cul-de-sac bringing the ball down one wing and we for a switch to find a free man, there is Gibbo. You can't see this s**t on TV and you can't understand just how valuable coaches and team mates find this running. Sure, he can be hit and miss with his kicking at times, but he generally plays within his limitations whilst providing this highly undervalued attribute. And that is why he will continue to be best 22 and continue to be in the leadership group as long as there is no one else who can do what he does.

Anyone who doesn't understand this by now better just pack in the bitching and moaning about his constant selection, because this is fact.

It sucks when he shanks a kick to the opposition on the wing, we all agree with that. Better than them marking it on their 50 because we didn't have anyone clear to kick it to out of defence though. This happens multiple times a game. His gut running is crazy. No wonder he shanks so many, bloke must be ****ed by the time he gets the ball.

Quite a few have Gibbo just missing out when full strength. He provides an outlet yes and is good at it.

Can't see anyone bitching and moaning, rather just selecting their team based on their opinion of our most formidable best 22.

It's a stacked midfield and they all can't all play. He will play rd1, finals assuming everyone is fit and younger guys have come on. Be interesting. Good times for being a supporter hopefully.

Last edited:

Sticky this.
Gotta love the posters on here who want to see our elite gut runner smashing it out in practice matches that count for zero points.
Does my *in head in.

Spot ******* on.

To get a true appreciation of his efforts, you have to be at the ground.

He's phenomenal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back