Steven Gerrard

Remove this Banner Ad

Jod's head gets deeper in Gerrard's groin after every post. I get people are biased and have favourite players but it should not mean any form of objectivity is removed altogether.

Gerrard was by no means a poor player. He often stepped up on big occasions and definite ya major factor that his side won so many trophies. But to suggest he had poor players around him and it was a struggle for him is ridiculous. Owen, Fowler, Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Hyypia, Mascherano, Hamann, Berger and so forth were hardly poor players. So let's spare that pile of horseshit argument for starters.

I don't think it's as clear cut as saying x > y, either. Both (Scholes and Gerrard) had their faults and perks. But it says a lot about Gerrard not being able to adapt after he started to age. I personally think Scholes was the best of the three (if we are including Lampard), but it's not easy to split them and anybody would have been happy with either of them in their side.

I think Scholes was the best technically, Lampard the most consistent (10 seasons of 10 goals or more in the league wasn't it), and Gerrard the best physically with a great desire to win.

Having said all that, Scholes is my pick personally.
Lol, how did we lineup in those games bro? Did we rotate Fowler with Suarez and Berger with Alonso in midfield. Oh no wait, all those players barely played together. They were all from different Liverpool sides over the journey of Gerrard's career.

Of course you can pick out great players Gerrard played with but they all have to come together in the one side to make it work. Plus you need a very good manager to make it all work. Lightning in a bottle kinda stuff, or just oil money.

Whatever you say about Gerrard, the biggest compliment you can give him is that he could have played for any team in the world. Not on the bench or a rotation player. He would have started every game and being a key player for any team in world football. He could have left Liverpool and won tons of trophies with Chelsea or Real Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern Munich. He didnt and so his medal count wont mirror that of some other footballers with half his talent.

Im glad he didnt though.

How was Scholes the main reason Man United reached such heights?

He said 'a' not 'the', in which case he is spot on. United have had a lot of quality attacking players over the years scoring goals from Cantona to Yorke, RVN to Ronaldo etc, but Scholes has been a constant yet decisive influence which is why his team mates and rivals are unanimous in praising him as our best player.

He has also bottled the big occasion quite a lot as well.

Haha just saw this. Based on slipping over in 1 game? Wow that's a bad call, I hope that you were doing this for a wind up!

Only player in history to have scored in the European Cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup finals. Also named MOTM in 3 of those finals, not to mention the number of games he's torn apart single handedly just to get us there in the first place. Over the course of his career I'd wager that he's stood up in more big games than most players have even played in.

Last edited:
Haha just saw this. Based on slipping over in 1 game? Wow that's a bad call, I hope that you were doing this for a wind up!

Only player in history to have scored in the European Cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup finals. Also named MOTM in 3 of those finals, not to mention the number of times he's torn games apart single handedly just to get us there in the first place. Over the course of his career I'd wager that he's stood up in more big games than most players have even played in.
He gave Henry a few assists too.

He said 'a' not 'the', in which case he is spot on. United have had a lot of quality attacking players over the years scoring goals from Cantona to Yorke, RVN to Ronaldo etc, but Scholes has been a constant yet decisive influence which is why his team mates and rivals are unanimous in praising him as our best player.
Well of course he was "a" main reason. Whereas Gerrard was "the" main reason. That's what sets the two apart.

He has also bottled the big occasion quite a lot as well.

Only player in history to have scored in the European Cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup finals. Also named MOTM in 3 of those finals, not to mention the number of games he's torn apart single handedly just to get us there in the first place. Over the course of his career I'd wager that he's stood up in more big games than most players have even played in.
56834602.jpg

If it was based on slipping over in 1 game I would have said "also he slipped over once".

FWIW his bottle job in that game was much more than just the slip.

Last edited:
For me Scholes revolutionised the Man United style of football. He was that effective from the midfield they could replace a forward, and play one upfront and still be as big a goalscoring threat as anyone. The extra midfielder made them as solid defensively as anyone.

He was as responsible for those successes as anyone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could have just written that he made you look a right knob. But it's the internet mate. Meme's are life.

Whether through meme or typing it myself, the message rings true.
No it doesn't. Because I never said that he hasn't performed in big games as well, just that he has bottled it in quite a few.

In general if you need a shite picture to tell someone they look like a knob you probably need a new mirror. Or a less talkative pot.

No it doesn't. Because I never said that he hasn't performed in big games as well, just that he has bottled it in quite a few.

In general if you need a shite picture to tell someone they look like a knob you probably need a new mirror. Or a less talkative pot.
Whatever mistakes he has made in games, they are far outweighed by what he has done in big games. Or won games for Liverpool off his own boot. Ultimate big game player.

How was Scholes the main reason Man United reached such heights? I nearly spit out my coco pops. There was a bloke on the sidelines named Alex Ferguson that I think could take the most credit. Scholes also had Keane, Beckham, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, RVN, Ronaldo, Rooney, Yorke, Cole, Stam, Schmeichel, the list goes on and on and on.

Gerrard simply never had that kind of support around. That's obviously a compliment to United and a criticism of Liverpool, that over the years even with the money we had we could never put enough great players around Gerrard. We managed to get close a couple of times, the Torres, Xabi, Masch days but that quickly fell away as all three moved on. Then we got close again with Suarez but then he moved on.

The key is not to get close, but to get to the top. If we climbed the mountain, those players dont leave or at least are much more likely to stay. Then we bring more good players around those.

Spend a little more time reading rather than wolfing down those coco pops then.

I never said he was THE main reason, he was one of them.

"Scholes also had Keane, Beckham, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, RVN, Ronaldo, Rooney, Yorke, Cole, Stam, Schmeichel, the list goes on and on and on."

And what's the one constant component of these teams......I'll give you a hint, he is short and ginger. Why do you think that is? Why do you think that of all the players coming and going throughout Fergie's united teams Scholes kept his place in the starting 11 when fit for almost its entirety? Any time Fergie could have replaced him if he wanted to - money and stature meant that United could have picked any player in the world to play that role but they didn't.

Because he was that good. That's why.

But you don't want to hear it and that's fine. You can be bias all you want, just don't get upset when everyone else including Arsenal/Chelsea and Man city fans (people with certainly no love for Man United players) all disagree with you.

Well of course he was "a" main reason. Whereas Gerrard was "the" main reason. That's what sets the two apart.

No it isn't, both had too many good players around them to ever be considered the sole reason for their teams success IMO.

Scholes was our best player, he simply controlled games for us which is why his influence was such a constant and integral component in our success. In the Sir Alex Ferguson era he was our most talented and most influential player bar none, other players were flashier, bigger personalities or more controversial but none as consistent or as valuable as Scholes.

What sets them apart is that they had different skill sets and dominated games in different ways, comparing them is pretty pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back