What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crawf's prediction in today's Herald Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ick-and-essendon/story-fni5f1tu-1227282664864

5. MARCUS BONTEMPELLI WILL WIN A BROWNLOW

Western Bulldogs, M. Bontempelli, 3 votes. Get used to it, as you are going to hear Gill McLachlan say it a lot over the next few years. Marcus Bontempelli, now known as ‘The Bont’, will win a Brownlow before his career is done. It might not be this year, but you would never discount it. He will poll more than his fair share of votes this year. He is only 19, and only one teenager (Dick Reynolds, 19, in 1934) has ever won the award. Imagine if he could defy history, and win it in 2015!

Crawf's prediction in today's Herald Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ick-and-essendon/story-fni5f1tu-1227282664864

Western Bulldogs, M. Bontempelli, 3 votes. Get used to it, as you are going to hear Gill McLachlan say it a lot over the next few years. Marcus Bontempelli, now known as ‘The Bont’, will win a Brownlow before his career is done. It might not be this year, but you would never discount it. He will poll more than his fair share of votes this year. He is only 19, and only one teenager (Dick Reynolds, 19, in 1934) has ever won the award. Imagine if he could defy history, and win it in 2015!

No pressure or anything.

To be fair the fans have labeled Bonts as a god, brownlow medalist, coleman, norm smith, B&F etc

...and that's just after his debut season. Imagine what it's going to be like at the end of this year.

Why is he such a Bulldogs hater?

He's not. Nor is Damian Barrett or anyone else who holds an unfavourable opinion of us which they make public through their media role (I.e. Opinions they are paid for). No one "hates" us, or has an untoward bias against us. When we were up and about, we were the media darlings, all over the paper with an exciting game plan journos fell all over themselves to write about. That's no longer the case.

We have been, and are for the most part, s**t. We've also given themedia plenty of good material this offseason. Our own doing. I reckon we've got off pretty bloody lightly, to be frank.

Fair dinkum - there is so much North Melbourne victim through this thread. Why anyone gives a flying * is beyond me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-29/talias-second-coming

IT HAS been commonly held for years that the Western Bulldogs weren't going to add to their lone premiership cup if they didn't recruit a gun key forward.

While they went a long way to addressing that need by snaring teenage prodigy Tom Boyd from GWS, a backline that has leaked plenty of goals over the past few seasons had largely gone unnoticed by most onlookers.

Apparently Derwayne purchased a bulldogs membership recently. Apparently this gives him grounds to bag us at every opportunity but expect us to like him. Probably my most hated commentator...such a smarmy self opinionated prick.

Being a member you're allowed to do that. The things I read on this board are a prime example.

Further to that.

Stop making garbage threads on the main board. It's ridiculous.

Agreed - the absolute last thing we want to be discussing is potential trades for upcoming superstars..... ******* ridiculous idea....

He's not. Nor is Damian Barrett or anyone else who holds an unfavourable opinion of us which they make public through their media role (I.e. Opinions they are paid for). No one "hates" us, or has an untoward bias against us. When we were up and about, we were the media darlings, all over the paper with an exciting game plan journos fell all over themselves to write about. That's no longer the case.

We have been, and are for the most part, s**t. We've also given themedia plenty of good material this offseason. Our own doing. I reckon we've got off pretty bloody lightly, to be frank.

Fair dinkum - there is so much North Melbourne victim through this thread. Why anyone gives a flying **** is beyond me.
EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYY. Love it. Well said.

Fair dinkum - there is so much North Melbourne victim through this thread. Why anyone gives a flying **** is beyond me.
Some sense at last.

Thank you for writing this, needs to be said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the media has been fairly consistent with most of our views. We were all very pessimistic after Libba went down and expecting a bottom 2-4 finish, and been a bit thrown after the Pies game where we played some great football. I'm hoping the latter is a more accurate indication of what lies ahead for the year, but we'll find out soon enough.

Crawf's prediction in today's Herald Sun...

Western Bulldogs, M. Bontempelli, 3 votes. Get used to it, as you are going to hear Gill McLachlan say it a lot over the next few years. Marcus Bontempelli, now known as ‘The Bont’, will win a Brownlow before his career is done.

Many of you are overlooking the key media point in all of this.

Crawf has gone with 'The Bont'.

So it is written, so it shall be.

This just isn't true. The media narrative at that time was that we weren't as good as the other top 4 sides. Or to ignore us completely. In 2008 we went from bottom 4 to undefeated for half a year and not one journo even mentioned it.
This isn't about hate, love or anything like that, it's not about some imagined victim complex, it's about the fact that we get absolutely no respect from the AFL media. Now you don't have to give a flying * about it, but I certainly hope the club does because it directly effects our bottom line.

This just isn't true. The media narrative at that time was that we weren't as good as the other top 4 sides. Or to ignore us completely. In 2008 we went from bottom 4 to undefeated for half a year and not one journo even mentioned it.
This isn't about hate, love or anything like that, it's not about some imagined victim complex, it's about the fact that we get absolutely no respect from the AFL media. Now you don't have to give a flying **** about it, but I certainly hope the club does because it directly effects our bottom line.

I'm sorry mate. You are wrong.

I vividly recall the massive increase in Bulldog media through that time, you couldn't open the bloody paper without a Doggie story popping out at you and I recall how bloody chuffed I was about it.

I'm sorry mate. You are wrong.

I vividly recall the massive increase in Bulldog media through that time, you couldn't open the bloody paper without a Doggie story popping out at you and I recall how bloody chuffed I was about it.
I remember reading those stories. They weren't positive. It was the equivalent of patting a child on the head. We also got nowhere near the coverage Hawthorn, Collingwood , St Kilda and Geelong got. It was more than now sure but it wasn't in proportion to our competitors. We are small and irrelevant and that's how the system likes it.

I remember reading those stories. They weren't positive. It was the equivalent of patting a child on the head. We also got nowhere near the coverage Hawthorn, Collingwood , St Kilda and Geelong got. It was more than now sure but it wasn't in proportion to our competitors. We are small and irrelevant and that's how the system likes it.

Ok. I'm not going to argue about it. People see what they want to see, I guess.

I agree with cammo78 that we were media darlings for a period in the late 2000s, when we played a style that was attractive and made people want to watch AFL.

But I partly agree with your sentiment above immortalmike, because we never seemed to be rated by any of the journos as being a real premiership threat. Which ultimately is true because we weren't quite good enough.

2010 we were rated by all and sundry in the media as premiership favourites. Particularly following our NAB cup win.

2010 we were rated by all and sundry in the media as premiership favourites. Particularly following our NAB cup win.
Only if you count Crawf as all and sundry. Arguing about it is fruitless however, so those who really don't give a s**t about what the media are saying about us probably should give the thread entitled "What they're saying-The Bulldogs Media Thread" a miss.

This isn't about hate, love or anything like that, it's not about some imagined victim complex, it's about the fact that we get absolutely no respect from the AFL media. Now you don't have to give a flying **** about it, but I certainly hope the club does because it directly effects our bottom line.

That's wildly inaccurate. For example, here's a link (click here) to an article by Rohan Connolly from Round 13 2008 where he specifically refers to us as one of five "credible contenders", along with Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood.

In 2009 and 2010 we were media darlings, widely predicted to win the premiership before each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back