Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Im sure there are plenty but of the top of my head.... 1995 , we finished 2nd played in the GF...they finished 15th second last. So we play a bottom team at KP
and.....
View attachment 120311

That game was one of the greatest efforts I've seen from a Hawk side in my life given how poor we were and how much of a top side you blokes were.

This is wrong. He hurt it against Brisbane in the last game before the finals. It was clear for everyone to see and I remember it vividly. Unfortunately for him it was also an inverted sprain (it rolled inwards). These sprains take longer to heal due to the fact that the ligaments on the inside of the ankle support the weight of the body which means that they are constantly under stress.

It definitely played a role in his poor form during the finals series IMO.

Did he really? Was in covered in injury updates, because I honestly can't remember it. The first I recall hearing about it was following the North loss.

Did he really? Was in covered in injury updates, because I honestly can't remember it. The first I recall hearing about it was following the North loss.

I saw it happen in the match(possibly 3rd quarter). I thought that we'd sub him off but we didn't and he played out the match. The rumour is that he hurt himself again(his hamstring this time not his ankle) in the warm up against North.

I've got to say Hodge is a better on field leader than Bartel. I think Selwood has more Luke Hodge about him than Bartel in relation to on field leadership.

Agree there's not many better leaders than Hodge, Bartel hasn't been in the leadership group for 2 years. Hodge is always directing players on where to be and making sure they're in position and adhering to their structure's. As someone said earlier he's almost like a coach out on the field. Lingy was another leader like this.

Leadership is one area I think we need to improve especially in the back line, hasn't been the same since Scarlett retired.

I think both Murdoch and Lang would benefit from Lang replacing Murdoch in the side this week.

Lang gets some big game experience and Murdoch gets some touch in the VFL. Murdoch has always been pretty dominant at the lower level, so I reckon he would really benefit from four quarters in the VFL on saturday.

Lang to play as sub in seniors.

Well Im sure there are plenty but of the top of my head.... 1995 , we finished 2nd played in the GF...they finished 15th second last. So we play a bottom team at KP
and.....
View attachment 120311

Hawks always had the Cats measure in the 90's.. Even when we were travelling poorly (mid-late 90's) I remember many great wins against the odds.

I think both Murdoch and Lang would benefit from Lang replacing Murdoch in the side this week.

Lang gets some big game experience and Murdoch gets some touch in the VFL. Murdoch has always been pretty dominant at the lower level, so I reckon he would really benefit from four quarters in the VFL on saturday.

Lang to play as sub in seniors.
If Lang plays as the sub and Murdoch is not in the team, who plays as our pressure forward? I think we will need at least one pressure forward in the 21 against the Hawks.

Yeah it was after he took a rare speccy. He later joked that he won't bother flying for them anymore if all he's going to do is injure himself.

Currently forecast to be wet and windy on Monday (showers clearing by late arvo). It's not the be all and end all of how the game will go down but it should certainly be a major factor in the result.

I know Geelong didn't rank highly on contested ball last year but just looking at your team I can only assume this was some sort of aberration as there are so many players I personally associate as contested ball winners.

People tend to assume that a wet and windy day is Hawthorn's Achilles heel based on our uncontested, accurate kicking game plan. I don't know if there's any evidence that really supports that of recent times as I can recall some of our biggest wins having occurred on wet days where just watching the Hawks play you'd assume it wasn't raining at all. That said, I think we've been lucky enough not to play any top notch pressure sides in the wet and if memory serves the weather has been favourable the last few wins we've had over you.

The general feeling I've picked up from you lot is that you're placing a lot of your chances on Hawkins and Clark firing. Part of that would be them being able to clunk contested marks. Poor weather should make that more difficult. Obviously effects us too at the other end but I have a lot of faith in our smalls, Breust, Rioli and Pupolo, as well as the ground level ability of Roughead and Gunston.

So my question to you is: Gut feeling, how does this weather forecast sit with you?

I think its important that we don't get carried away thinking that having Clark and Hawkins in the forward line is going to make a massive difference against the Hawks, it will definitely help but I think back to last years grand final and how Buddy and Tippett were shut down you then have to start looking at other avenues to goal and that's where I think the Cats can hurt the Hawks, because everyone will be expecting us to look for them all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently forecast to be wet and windy on Monday (showers clearing by late arvo). It's not the be all and end all of how the game will go down but it should certainly be a major factor in the result.

I know Geelong didn't rank highly on contested ball last year but just looking at your team I can only assume this was some sort of aberration as there are so many players I personally associate as contested ball winners.

People tend to assume that a wet and windy day is Hawthorn's Achilles heel based on our uncontested, accurate kicking game plan. I don't know if there's any evidence that really supports that of recent times as I can recall some of our biggest wins having occurred on wet days where just watching the Hawks play you'd assume it wasn't raining at all. That said, I think we've been lucky enough not to play any top notch pressure sides in the wet and if memory serves the weather has been favourable the last few wins we've had over you.

The general feeling I've picked up from you lot is that you're placing a lot of your chances on Hawkins and Clark firing. Part of that would be them being able to clunk contested marks. Poor weather should make that more difficult. Obviously effects us too at the other end but I have a lot of faith in our smalls, Breust, Rioli and Pupolo, as well as the ground level ability of Roughead and Gunston.

So my question to you is: Gut feeling, how does this weather forecast sit with you?
To be honest, I don't see having a tall forward line as key to beating the Hawks. Sure it helps to have someone there to support Hawkins, as it was great when he had a day out in round 5 last year, but I think it's far more important to shut down the uncontested kicking by the Hawks. Force them to kick long or to a contest, and back yourself to win the turnover. Our game plan is based around this and I think wet weather probably helps slightly in this regard. But you're right that Hawthorn's smalls are going to be tough to shut down, and I'd back your small forwards to be more successful when the ball hits the ground inside F50 than ours will be at the feet of Hawkins/Clark as they all feel to be a little out of form at the moment.

Quick summary: I don't think a bit of wet weather gives either team the advantage. It's really going to be whoever executes their game plan better over 4 quarters.

To be honest, I don't see having a tall forward line as key to beating the Hawks. Sure it helps to have someone there to support Hawkins, as it was great when he had a day out in round 5 last year, but I think it's far more important to shut down the uncontested kicking by the Hawks. Force them to kick long or to a contest, and back yourself to win the turnover. Our game plan is based around this and I think wet weather probably helps slightly in this regard. But you're right that Hawthorn's smalls are going to be tough to shut down, and I'd back your small forwards to be more successful when the ball hits the ground inside F50 than ours will be at the feet of Hawkins/Clark as they all feel to be a little out of form at the moment.

Quick summary: I don't think a bit of wet weather gives either team the advantage. It's really going to be whoever executes their game plan better over 4 quarters.
You seem to be in the minority on the tall forward line point, but then it has got you good results in the past when you had Pods. The round 5 game shouldn't be used as an example for it (I know you weren't using it as one) given the huge mismatch of Hawkins v Cheney.

I totally agree with you on restricting our uncontested ball. Geelong do this the best of all our opposition. Particularly good at manning the mark which forces us to go back to take the next kick. It will be a fitness thing in the end there I reckon. A wet track could make that harder but it's also something we have to deal with ourselves.

I've always felt that the wind effects the Hawks more than the rain does. If it's raining I don't think either team will really mind that much but if there is a strong, swirly wind around it could help us in defending your kicking game.

When it's all said and done the better team on the day will win regardless of the conditions.

The question that I can't answer is how are Hawthorns' fitness levels right at the moment? Alot of the Geelong players have played alot of minutes through the NAB cup and we look to be well prepared physically for the game. If it rains there's no doubt that it will become more a game of attrition and could favour the team that is in better shape physically. Which team that is, I'm not sure.

I think its important that we don't get carried away thinking that having Clark and Hawkins in the forward line is going to make a massive difference against the Hawks, it will definitely help but I think back to last years grand final and how Buddy and Tippett were shut down you then have to start looking at other avenues to goal and that's where I think the Cats can hurt the Hawks, because everyone will be expecting us to look for them all the time.

The biggest advantage of having Clark is not needing to try out things to fix our dysfunctional forward setup. Last year Bartel had to spend most of the year forward but now he can go into midfield more readily where he's a gun. Also remember when Taylor was shifted forward in the QF? I highly doubt we'll see that type of move with 2 proven quality key forwards.

You seem to be in the minority on the tall forward line point, but then it has got you good results in the past when you had Pods. The round 5 game shouldn't be used as an example for it (I know you weren't using it as one) given the huge mismatch of Hawkins v Cheney.

I totally agree with you on restricting our uncontested ball. Geelong do this the best of all our opposition. Particularly good at manning the mark which forces us to go back to take the next kick. It will be a fitness thing in the end there I reckon. A wet track could make that harder but it's also something we have to deal with ourselves.
I agree. I only brought it up because there's been some talk here of going in with a third tall in Walker, which I don't see as key. I think one thing that hurt hurt in round 22 and the QF was a lack of a second option at goal. Your boys had three forwards with 50+ goals, we just had Hawkins and if he didn't fire then we didn't have the scoring power. So Clark helps in that regard.

But yep I probably am in the minority but I've posted somewhere else that if a tall forward line was the key then the Swans would be premiers. It's really about what happens beforehand, put pressure on the Hawks and don't allow lots of uncontested kicks into their forward line. Have the small forwards putting lots of pressure on Hawthorn's backs so that they're either kicking hurriedly or to a contest.

The key forwards were important because your key defenders were, frankly, terrible. Schoenmakers and Gibson were fine if Gibson could help Clangers out but with 2 good key forwards Schoenmakers was exposed and Gibson's not the best 1 on 1 defender either. Cheney was the same sort of story. But we won't be doing that against Lake and Frawley with Gibson drifting around.

I think the area we can beat you is in 1 on 1 contested footy since a lot of your guys just aren't strong there. Great kicks, great runners but more athletic than strong. The problem with turning it into a 1 on 1 game is that if you guys get on top and our defence gets caught out since we don't have spare men you could pile on a score in a short period.

general feeling I've picked up from you lot is that you're placing a lot of your chances on Hawkins and Clark firing. Part of that would be them being able to clunk contested marks. Poor weather should make that more difficult. Obviously effects us too at the other end but I have a lot of faith in our smalls, Breust, Rioli and Pupolo, as well as the ground level ability of Roughead and Gunston.

As soon as I read your comments (bolded), a game 3 years ago vs Brisbane, where it pelted down all night, sprang to mind. Hawkins kicked 6.0 and collected 3 Brownlow points.

Yeah, it was a long time ago but I don't think the weather should prevent him from taking contested marks on Monday. Hopefully he can also take his chances with the ground balls, as well. Haven't watched Clark a lot so have no idea how he goes in the wet.

If Lang plays as the sub and Murdoch is not in the team, who plays as our pressure forward? I think we will need at least one pressure forward in the 21 against the Hawks.
Damn! Trust you to pick that up, StC :(
Our forward stocks have been decimated, haven't they?
Varcoe, Burbury, McCarthy- all gone :(
Where is Smedts at?

The big problem is that this is exactly what our players seem to do! Even when Hawkins had a stuffed back in 2013, he was the target the majority of the time.
It'd be nice if the players can switch and use other targets- using Bartel worked well at times last year and I think it'd be great if other players like Stokes and Johnson would slip forward and present more often.
Guess we will just have to wait for Monday to see if we still are using two targets or if we have a plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back