Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think Stanley might actually play on Monday? Scott has a bit of a history taking gambles on players like this.

Does anyone think Stanley might actually play on Monday? Scott has a bit of a history taking gambles on players like this.
No, I think he'll play VFL on Saturday. I can't see why they would pick a player who hasn't had any pre-season match practice when we've got a number of other tall options.

Even if Simpson and McIntosh are both underdone, I think they'll go for one of them plus Blicavs, with Clarke and maybe Walker pinch-hitting the ruck at times.

Give Stanley at least one practice match to settle in to footy, with such an injury-interrupted preseason.

Hah, that's funny Teri, I've always hated seeing Stokes going for marks in the forward line. In my memory, he usually has two large defenders who spoil the mark and the opposition gain possession. I always wonder where our tall forwards are who should be going for those marks, and why Stokes isn't waiting at their feet for the crumbs!
:oops:
Maybe I've just got one particular mark on an endless loop? ;)
Another good reason to keep him as the superb link up midfielder between the 50m lines that he's been the last 2 seasons.
Yeah, P, he's one of our best non-centre clearance clearance players- if that makes sense? :)

No, I think he'll play VFL on Saturday. I can't see why they would pick a player who hasn't had any pre-season match practice when we've got a number of other tall options.

Even if Simpson and McIntosh are both underdone, I think they'll go for one of them plus Blicavs, with Clarke and maybe Walker pinch-hitting the ruck at times.

Give Stanley at least one practice match to settle in to footy, with such an injury-interrupted preseason.
I was thinking they'd go for both big ruckmen plus Blitz again- I keep forgetting that we have other options now (it feels so strange!). Can't see them picking Walker- they have not used him a lot before, even when we've been in dire straits!

Yeah I know it would be ridiculous to throw Stanley in without any match practice, it's actually stupid to think he might play but with Scott and our MC at times you never know.

He might - have him on one wing, Blicavs on the other!
Interviewed on the club website yesterday I think, vfl return likely this weekend, same as Thurlow.

Thurlow hinted at hb/wing as his likely spot. He may need to grow a few inches to fit into our new breed of wingers.

If Scott puts Blitz on Hill again I'll personally bang on the coaches box and demand the magnet board!

Interviewed on the club website yesterday I think, vfl return likely this weekend, same as Thurlow.

Thurlow hinted at hb/wing as his likely spot. He may need to grow a few inches to fit into our new breed of wingers.

If Scott puts Blitz on Hill again I'll personally bang on the coaches box and demand the magnet board!

How dare you say such a thing. They know better than you! :)

How dare you say such a thing. They know better than you! :)
Remember I was there at that final and felt like screaming with rage.

Just like Billie isn't a defenders a**ehole the same applies with Blicavs and the wing!

In all honesty once Stanley is fit and ready to go if Scott plays Blitz anywhere I'll be banging on coaches box.

In all honesty once Stanley is fit and ready to go if Scott plays Blitz anywhere I'll be banging on coaches box.
Depends really. If they view Stanley as a possible no.1 ruck (not saying they do mind you, but time will tell) then that doesn't affect Blicavs correct?

If he is viewed as a no.2 ruck then it comes down to who they feel is better. If Stanley is viewed as being the superior choice then Blitz will start playing defence, I for hope that transition would begin in the vfl tbh.

Last edited:
Cognitive dissonance is a very powerful thing, and unfortunately our coach is as susceptible to it as anyone else.

Yep, we're all human.

Every coach is going to bring flaws into the box.

Another facet of the game that creates the anger, exhilaration, frustration and joy we thrive on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott says both Cockatoo and Gregson are a chance to play on Monday:

GEELONG is considering the possibility of unleashing two draftees in the Easter Monday blockbuster against Hawthorn at the MCG.

Coach Chris Scott said both exciting youngster Nakia Cockatoo – who thrilled supporters with his dash in the NAB Challenge – and South Australian youngster Cory Gregson were both "well and truly" in the selection mix for the season opener.

He said the prospect of having both play was tantalising.

"It would be exciting to have a couple of debutants for round one, I reckon," Scott said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-01/two-cats-in-mix-for-debut

Scott says both Cockatoo and Gregson are a chance to play on Monday:

GEELONG is considering the possibility of unleashing two draftees in the Easter Monday blockbuster against Hawthorn at the MCG.

Coach Chris Scott said both exciting youngster Nakia Cockatoo – who thrilled supporters with his dash in the NAB Challenge – and South Australian youngster Cory Gregson were both "well and truly" in the selection mix for the season opener.

He said the prospect of having both play was tantalising.

"It would be exciting to have a couple of debutants for round one, I reckon," Scott said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-01/two-cats-in-mix-for-debut

I like that he's thinking of presenting something different, outside the square.......but will he follow through?

I like that he's thinking of presenting something different, outside the square.......but will he follow through?
I guess that will depend on places available once the 'obvious' places are all filled.
I can see Cockatoo getting a game, maybe Gregson as a sub but possibly not R1. If it turns out that there is a glaring gap in the forward line calling Gregson's name, he might get a gig.

More than likely it's Scott just answering direct questions from the media- Will Cockatoo play? Will Gregson play?

And, if they play- who will miss out?

After reading a bunch of the Hawks thread over there, they are well into themselves. And B2B they should be I guess.

That said, lets punch them in the throat. Play the 3 big Forwards. In reality, is Mruda really gonna to add that much stopping them for running it out? I don't know.

Lets just roll the dice and get them on their weakest point.

Give it to them with both barrels and let them adjust to us.

Go Catters
What is their weakest point daz?

I think that is the answer! Instead of worrying about stopping them, we should go out + play our brand of attacking footy, down the corridor, flood our forward pocket with SJ, Bartel, Selwood, Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy etc - all the potential goal kickers, in addition to Tomahawk + Clark. Leave a couple of players to defend their forward line, in case they win the ball + just get our gruntiest players to tackle the hell out of the Midget, Hill etc. All we really need to do is just kick goals!

You need to let it go.

As much as I can't find a spot for Blicavs if all the talls are fit. You're going way over the top re: Blicavs.

I don't think there's a chance Stanley will play even though he's been considered. Just not match conditioned and we are talking about a player that's incredibly inconsistent to say the least. Not only will he take a while to find his feet at senior level (and an entirely new system), he will also need a good couple of weeks in the VFL before he's right to go.

If he does get picked to play without having even played a single competitive game since being drafted . . . wow!

You need to let it go.

As much as I can't find a spot for Blicavs if all the talls are fit. You're going way over the top re: Blicavs.
Ha, Ha. Maybe I am, we'll see on Monday, my guess is at best he'll give away two goals.

Ha, Ha. Maybe I am, we'll see on Monday, my guess is at best he'll give away two goals.
And I passed over your comment about his contested marking.
It's my query on him too.

In my opinion, he has improved massively through the nab cup.
If he can run, run, run. Get to contests, AND mark. HUGE asset.

I just can't see who else they drop if all talls are fit.
He isn't a back.

I think there's a good chance both Cockatoo and Gregson will play because I think the Geelong gameplan will be to create stoppages and play mostly man on man contested footy then when we win the ball go hell for leather on transition to Clark and Hawk, I think Gregson as a late Sub and Cocky along with Motlop, Guthrie, will help us with that outside speed that could really damage a fairly pedestrian Hawks midfield.

The B2B reigning premiers have a 'pedestrian' midfield. Definitely wouldn't go that far!

Not the best midfield but not a bad one either. Mitchell, Hodge (both spend time in the middle but mostly off halfback), shiels, Lewis is the nucleus of a good midfield. Throw Smith and Hill on the wings and it's a good midfield actually.

And I passed over your comment about his contested marking.
It's my query on him too.

In my opinion, he has improved massively through the nab cup.
If he can run, run, run. Get to contests, AND mark. HUGE asset.

I just can't see who else they drop if all talls are fit.
He isn't a back.
Yeah I agree re: who to drop if all our talls are fit. He just gets so exposed everywhere he plays...In the ruck he's exposed with height and bulk, in the midfield he's exposed with lack of real pace and ground level contested ability, in defence he's exposed by his lack of experience back there and his poor decision making. Anyway I've already been through all of this. I just can't wait till Monday I think we'll put on a really good show and bring back some excitement to a team that last year especially seemed pretty one paced and to tell you the truth boring at times to watch.

in defence he's exposed by his lack of experience back there and his poor decision making.
You could very well have said something similar when Lonergan was just starting out as a defender, he wasn't recruited as a defender but now is very good at his craft.

There's only one way to gain experience in a position and with experience could also come less decision making errors.

I see him as a potential defender and him training over the off season with Scarlett and the other defenders suggests the clubs sees that potential as well. In any case I'd like him to learn in the VFL first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back