Mega Thread The Footy Dept Thread Part I - #SackHardwick or #StandByDimma?

Should he go?

• See out his contract

Votes: 44 15.0%
  • See out the year

Votes: 130 44.2%
  • See out the day

Votes: 93 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how we are often compared to Thompson's Geelong team
Mate nobody on here would be whinging on here if we were anywhere to being remotely close to them
We can't even beat a ninth team pumped up finalist
This comparison is either wishful thinking or footy naive

the comparison was in reference to the journey they took till they got a premiership, they certainly did not have a linear upward trend, we have!

P.S Welcome back.

the comparison was in reference to the journey they took till they got a premiership, they certainly did not have a linear upward trend, we have!

P.S Welcome back.
Thank you for your fine greeting
I still think the Cats path cannot be used as even you said the trends were different
Our trend is looking like a parabola with function
F(x)=-kx^2. Where the Cats is looking like my NAB shares plot

Last edited:
What I am suggesting is that under Lyon the Saints might not have crashed. With every list that has been under his control he has improved them. He had a get-out clause in his contract at St Kilda which he chose exercise after St Kilda delayed on extending. You might view it as mercenary but I see it as job security. And if I remember correctly he would have been happy to stay at the Saints if they had of re-committed to him.

Anyway, he left before he had a chance to re-build at St Kilda. If he is still at Freo in 5 years and has overseen a successful transition then it will be more egg on St Kilda's face. If they've spiralled then fair enough the Saints not re-committing. Either way I think it is unfair to judge Lyon on development at this point in time.

Sounds a little like we wouldn't commit to swooper. And the following debacles are prooof.

I still think the Cats path cannot be used as even you said the trends were different
F(x)=-kx^2. Where the Cats is looking like my CBA shares plot

Thread needs graphs

As are your maybes and could haves. The fact is though that Lyon failed to blood youth in his attempt to win a flag, and as a result they suffered.
The signs are that he's doing the same at Freo, which leads me to believe that the same problem looms for them and going by form my prediction is that Ross the Boss will not be at Freo long term. Yeah it's my opinion but it's founded on fact and history.

The only fact you have right is that he left St Kilda (utilising an exit clause in his contract that St Kilda agreed to have in place, and only after St Kilda failed to re-commit to him throughout the season).

Sounds a little like we wouldn't commit to swooper. And the following debacles are prooof.

Swooper didn't have an exit clause - big difference. Mind you, I think we should have locked him in for another year at least, but I only say that in hindsight. Contracts are written so both parties know exactly what is expected of them.

As are your maybes and could haves. The fact is though that Lyon failed to blood youth in his attempt to win a flag, and as a result they suffered.
The signs are that he's doing the same at Freo, which leads me to believe that the same problem looms for them and going by form my prediction is that Ross the Boss will not be at Freo long term. Yeah it's my opinion but it's founded on fact and history.
All teams that have a crack at the flag end up suffering, some quicker than others. Carlton had a crack and weren't even close, now they're horrible. Saints almost pinched a couple and their list suffered. Geelong hung on for longer, now it's starting to catch up with them. The Dogs got to prelims and had to rebuild. Collingwood are now paying the price.

Lyon gets unfairly singled out.

All teams that have a crack at the flag end up suffering, some quicker than others. Carlton had a crack and weren't even close, now they're horrible. Saints almost pinched a couple and their list suffered. Geelong hung on for longer, now it's starting to catch up with them. The Dogs got to prelims and had to rebuild. Collingwood are now paying the price.

He certainly does and on ability alone Hardwick is running at about 52% of what Lyon is capable of as a coach. That is how far we are off. Lyon might be a fantasy but that leaves a lot of coaches out there better than Hardwick still.

Don't forget Sheedy
IT'S hard to stay at the top bc everybody wants to take you out by the knees especially as your hardened servants age and slow down
Lyon is a professional coach on match day and also with his preparation for the big dance
No 5%/95% lines.He's at 100% full time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F(x)=-kx^2. Where the Cats is looking like my NAB shares plot

Well we haven't gone backwards so i can't see it being parabolic what so ever.

And like i said it was the journey that it was referencing, i think you missed my point.

Well we haven't gone backwards so i can't see it being parabolic what so ever.

And like i said it was the journey that it was referencing, i think you missed my point.

Sorry i disagree on the" Journey's" as they are way different based on time as we still haven't won a final
5 yrs into the rebuild and the parabolic evidence was evident last yr as we declined in wins.
You're thinking like all of us on here that being, relying on hope more than seeing whether DH is capable of getting it right.
This is where we differ.It's qualitative v quantitative evidence.
So no point was missed its just where we set our standards and expectations based on 5yrs of evidence

IMO being its round 2 and Ports on 0-2. We should make a huge play for Ken. Port should go for it, as they will be considering a full re build now :drunk:

They have lost to two premiership contenders. We've barely beaten 1 bottom 4 side and lost to a bottom 6 side.

They have lost to two premiership contenders. We've barely beaten 1 bottom 4 side and lost to a bottom 6 side.

Still 0-2 mate and there second loss was a real worry. We also have lost to a side who is undefeated this year and beat one bottom 4 side. IMO Port have gone backwards so far and by round 2, it looks like there season is a shambles like ours :p

Sorry i disagree on the" Journey's" as they are way different based on time as we still haven't won a final
5 yrs into the rebuild and the parabolic evidence was evident last yr as we declined in wins.
You're thinking like all of us on here that being, relying on hope more than seeing whether DH is capable of getting it right.
This is where we differ.It's qualitative v quantitative evidence.
So no point was missed its just where we set our standards and expectations based on 5yrs of evidence

It's hard for me to summarize my thoughts from my mobile but.........

Sorry no i don't rely on hope, 2 finals in the last two years is evidence, we are in round 3 and have a whole season ahead of us, i am saying that the thought of sacking DH without seeing how this seasons pans out is ridiculous and pre mature.

As for our path and geelongs path my point is they went from good to s**t, s**t and s**t, to come good and go s**t again and that when the fans started saying wth? They stuck with Thompson through all of that, we haven't showed anywhere near that kind of commitment to DH and he has overall done better than Thompson through that period of time, at least with consistently trending upward, like i said when the time is right DH will be replaced.

It's hard for me to summarize my thoughts from my mobile but.........

Sorry no i don't rely on hope, 2 finals in the last two years is evidence, we are in round 3 and have a whole season ahead of us, i am saying that the thought of sacking DH without seeing how this seasons pans out is ridiculous and pre mature.

As for our path and geelongs path my point is they went from good to s**t, s**t and s**t, to come good and go s**t again and that when the fans started saying wth? They stuck with Thompson through all of that, we haven't showed anywhere near that kind of commitment to DH and he has overall done better than Thompson through that period of time, at least with consistently trending upward, like i said when the time is right DH will be replaced.
This is where the flaw is with your argument in comparison to The Cats as it demonstrates that we have always been s**t under DH bc we've achieved nothing yet.Absolutely nothing based on results
Remember its a comparison of us v Cats which is what you are telling me

Last edited:
Swooper didn't have an exit clause - big difference. Mind you, I think we should have locked him in for another year at least, but I only say that in hindsight. Contracts are written so both parties know exactly what is expected of them.
Swooper had a year to run on his contract, and did want an extension, however he should have backed himself in that the team would perform. It would have come in due course and he now regrets he didn't do this.

Swooper had a year to run on his contract, and did want an extension, however he should have backed himself in that the team would perform. It would have come in due course and he now regrets he didn't do this.

I agree with this too. He was too s**t scared to back himself. I only say in hindsight we should have signed him because it would have spared us the Walls/Gieschen era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back