Mega Thread The Footy Dept Thread Part I - #SackHardwick or #StandByDimma?

Should he go?

• See out his contract

Votes: 44 15.0%
  • See out the year

Votes: 130 44.2%
  • See out the day

Votes: 93 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By wrecked you mean taken to Grand Finals and won Premierships with right?

Only team he's failed at is Carlton and their problems are way beyond fixing with a new coach. I don't think Malthouse should be a head coach but having him in a capacity at the club would be extremely beneficial. You don't just forget how to lead, motivate and develop players.
Agree.
But Sheedy did.

So you want a bloke that has wrecked four other clubs now?

Just because he led other to a s**t storm doesn't mean we should also jump on his magical s**t fest.

Are you one of the group who wants Dimma gone? To replace him with a pensioner that dribbles themselves through every presser.... wow what has a bloke who is as old our country got to give.
Wrecked 4 clubs? Righto mate. Calrton were wrecked long before he got there.
And no I was one of the ones that was defending Dimma the most. As I said before I want him at our club, not as our head coach.
I don't know why you hate him, or why you think hes an idiot, because he is a great coach.
Lets look at his stats.
718 games, 406 wins, 305 losses, 7 draws, 56.5 per cent success rate, 52 finals, eight Grand Finals, three premierships
Hes coached in more grand finals than Richmond has played finals in the same time. If you don't want him at the club, then you know nothing about footy, sorry.

Last edited:

Deceivingly obvious.
When he took over at the WCE they had only just started their fourth season and had been in the Finals once, after he finally left it took them three seasons to get back to the finals.
Yes i admit he does have a good win average but he is not what we need, he can only make our club worse.

When he first starts at a club they adore him and he is their messiah, but he leaves the clubs in a worse situation he is a cancer.
Just lol.
I'm seriously amazed at your stupidity. I guess Collingwood were also in a a better position than a premiership team before he got there?
Also buddy, thats generally how it works. You win Grand Finals then you rebuild so you miss finals. I bet West Coast hate him! He only won them 2 flags and after he left they missed finals for 3 WHOLE SEASONS. NO! What a horrible coach. Richmond don't need someone like that. We make a prelim once and then miss for finals 14 years. Thats how you do it.
Why is someone with no footy knowledge on a footy forum?

Would be brilliant to have Mick at Punt Road in some capacity.
Was a premiership player for us, an AFL premiership coach at 2 clubs and just a smart football brain and person.
Obviously wouldn't be as head coach, but maybe a director of coaching type of role?

You can never have too many smart people at a football club.

If we were to go back to being that uncompetitive mess that we were at the start of the season and ended up moving on Hardwick, then I'd at the very least call Mick in for a chat. The reason being is simple, Mick gets results.

Arrived at the Dogs in 1984 after they finished 7th, 2 years later he had them playing in a prelim final and in the 6 seasons he was there he won at least 11 games every season bar his final season. Now the claim was made that he left the Dogs in a mess, the year after Mick left they went 12-10 finishing 7th, then 10th and then second in 1992 with a 16-6 record before faltering in the finals.

Arriving at the Eagles he took over a side that won 7 games in 1989 and finished 11th, he then had them in the finals for every year he was there. Now granted the Eagles had a pretty decent advantage during that time, but without a decent coach in charge that doesn't happen. As for the claim that Mick ruined them, I'd suggest that having that incompetent coach Ken Judge in charge had a fair bit more to do with it than the list Mick left. Lets not forget that the year after Judge got the sack Worsfold took the Eagles back into the finals and won a flag 5 years after that having played finals every year leading up to that.

Then there was Micks time at Collingwood. When he arrived they were a basket case and he slowly built them up to the stage where he got them into consecutive Grand Finals after only 2 seasons. After realizing that they weren't quite good enough to win the flag he went and rebuilt the side from the ground up over 2 seasons, along the way getting a few unlikely players to turn into solid reliable types who were the cornerstones of his eventual premiership winning sides. In all honesty I believe Eddie stopped the Pies from having a true era of dominance because his lovechild was looking like ending up somewhere else. The only reason Collingwood have gone backwards under Buckley is because the fool wanted to build the club his way rather than build on what he had inherited.

Then there was the Carlton era, when Mick got there they were already a disaster waiting to happen as their recruiting was horrible as they traded away early picks as they chased success. Mick was never going to survive at Carlton because those flogs couldn't accept that after multiple years of tanking their plan had failed miserably and they had to start again. Even not the morons are saying they are not writing off the season and are hoping to see dramatic improvement.

So I'd give Mick a call and see how he felt about finishing the journey at the club he says has always been in his heart. Although reading his statement released not that long ago I'd suggest we'd get a polite thanks but no thanks.

Definitely think we should do all we can to bring in Malthouse as an assistant coach. Having his experience and talent helping out Hardwick would be invaluable.
Forget idea, no chance this will happen. He is a head coach only and would think an assistants job is beneath him. Headed to the media.

Definitely think we should do all we can to bring in Malthouse as an assistant coach. Having his experience and talent helping out Hardwick would be invaluable.

Malthouse would be more valuable to us as a single defensive coach than Smith, Rutten and Mellor combined.

#fairytaleformick

#bringbackmick

#tigermick

Mick's a great coach, his record speaks for itself, its a shame Carlton has tarnished his image. Basketcase of a club.

Footy knowledge unquestionable but the way he fought his battles with those who employed him through the media at his last two clubs is a real issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy knowledge unquestionable but the way he fought his battles with those who employed him through the media at his last two clubs is a real issue.

The battles isn't what concerns me, I just feel he is too old now. His battles are fully understandable he was shafted both times.

Geelong were Poo when the Tigers played them and Richmond should have been able to run them off their feet (as they nearly did in the second half). North are better placed than Richmond, but they have turned to mud against three top sides this year. Hard to gauge them ATM.

You just did.... that's spot on. They are more experienced, disciplined and more consistent than we are at the moment. They are also consistently belted by the top teams.... tough spot for them. Their best players are 30 and older, they've recruited top ups but they just aren't good enough to challenge the really good teams yet....

Getting back on track i still believe Ben and Peg will still
need to have a plan B according to them if DH doesn't win a final they're going to act. So I'm being realistic if we Lose Chocco then we need to fill some gaps. CFC is acting already that's why it can be advantageous to act early as you get first pick of the crop. Dew has been mentioned already.
Our FD is running on empty so we shouldn't be complacent and satisfied with finishing 8th
If it was me DH would be told Prelim or bye bye as he may have peaked if any less is dished up
About MM I only like him as an assistant , but his use by date could be up

Forget idea, no chance this will happen. He is a head coach only and would think an assistants job is beneath him. Headed to the media.
So you think theres no chance so you dont try? Thats not what a club that wants to be successful does. You're not Mick, you don't know, I don't know. He said he doesn't want to coach anymore, maybe he wouldn't mind it. Only he knows, don't pretend you know.

We resisted fawning over Sheedy when Essendon no longer wanted him and should do the same with Malthouse. Remember, he didn't want a different role to coach at the Pies. Surely, we pass on Mick. I wish him well, though, he's an ornament to footy, despite his moodiness. Keep the faith in Dimma and his team of coaches!

You just did.... that's spot on. They are more experienced, disciplined and more consistent than we are at the moment. They are also consistently belted by the top teams.... tough spot for them. Their best players are 30 and older, they've recruited top ups but they just aren't good enough to challenge the really good teams yet....

They wont be. Most over rated side in the comp
Wells will be lucky to get back at all and Dal will struggle with this injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back