Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not entirely wrong. It could be a mixture of both. Carlton players see the Essendon players are tiring and decide to try a bit harder.

Or you could look at the last 3 weeks and look at the pattern of Essendon giving up 30 point leads. They got tired.

You mean like we did in rounds 1 and 2?

Essendon didn't give up a 30 point lead in the last quarter against Hawthorn. The Hawks chipped away and wore them down, then looked like skipping away only for Essendon to score the last 3 goals and win the game. Were they tired then?

Look Carlton's skills were terrible for 3 quarters. We were uncompetitive for probably 2 quarters. We clicked in the last, finally do something to offer some hope, despite the fact it hurts that we won't do it for a whole game, and people want to find reasons why the only positives we have aren't really positives.

It doesn't mean we are content to lose. It means we were glad we became competitive.

We weren't smashed the whole game. We dominated the inside game, they dominated the outside.

We can't continue to play Curnow and Carrazzo to play in the same team

The team really freed up after dropping the second tagger.
yup... I noticed we had a lot more spread once Curnow was benched. Playing the two taggers in the side restricts us in the midfield. Carrots is just about done, I would use him sparingly this year and I would use Curnow as the starting tagger. It allows us to have another free running midfielder in the side.

As I said in the game day thread... and many times in the past... the umpires need to be made professionals. There is only one interpretation of the rule! The AFLs interpretation. You can't pay a decision one way and then not pay it the other way.

Positives I saw out of the game. Armfield and Ellard, while they might be fringe players at the club... they show the type of endeavor that is required of everyone in the side. Never give up and never say "well we tried". Bell... is starting to become a bit of an enforcer for the side. When Bellchambers took his mark and (I think it was) Melksham started giving it to Wood, Bell came in and started giving some back to Melksham... that sort of thing is good to see.

I also noticed the players starting to run and block for each other... we need more of this.

Byrne... I really hope that he wasnt too affected by that bullshit umpiring decision at the end of the third quarter to give a free kick against him. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he did, but the dickhead umpire decided that he had infringed on the scum player. I feel that he really belongs out there. He just looked a natural out there on the ground.

How many games does Jones get before Watson gets a go?

Watson carved Ess up in R22 and bagged six in an intra game.

What has Jones done?

Nothing personal against Jones, he may yet make it, but fairs fair and he hasn't set the world on fire at all. Some decent tacking and threw himself at some packs but at end of the day Mick says forwards need to kick goals and Jones is hardly threatening the Coleman medal now is he

I give it two more games if he doesn't have a break out game Watto will get a go

Only Cas being even less productive as a forward is keeping Jones in the team

Bring Watson in next week, he has to be given an opportunity plus he'll give you no less than Jones but is a better kick.

Lack of system going forward is clear as day

Is this the game plan??

Or is it forwards not working hard enough or smart enough??

Or are our mid and flank players just not spreading quick enough ??

Or are our mid and flank players just not smart enough or skillful enough??

We dominated the contested ball but then butchered it time and time again

I'd like Mick to come out and explain to members why this happened

Put your money where your mouth is Mick

Would be good if Jaksch, Whiley, Buckley and maybe Graham came in next week. Would like Waston to have a crack instead of Jones.

Carrots was great in the last quarter. Maybe drop Curnow next week for Bucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back from the game and not at all disappointed. In my opinion they were actually in the game all day apart from poor kicking for goal versus good kicking for goal. In the 2nd quarter where the Dons pulled away it was 7 straight to 3.3, in the 3rd it was 4.2 to 2.5. These were basically the 2 quarters where it got away and it was not through lack of effort or having as much of the play as them.

Loved Cripps' game and also thought Murphy, Carrazzo, Walker, Everitt and Simpson were good. Byrne has some serious poise for an Irish first gamer.

Poor crowd but not surprising given how many have already given up on them. Too many errors when it mattered but a lot to like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was a little disappointed with casboult today

last year he showed real promise with his contested marking , saw him drop a sitter in the last qtr when we were pressing

You mean like we did in rounds 1 and 2?

Essendon didn't give up a 30 point lead in the last quarter against Hawthorn. The Hawks chipped away and wore them down, then looked like skipping away only for Essendon to score the last 3 goals and win the game. Were they tired then?

Look Carlton's skills were terrible for 3 quarters. We were uncompetitive for probably 2 quarters. We clicked in the last, finally do something to offer some hope, despite the fact it hurts that we won't do it for a whole game, and people want to find reasons why the only positives we have aren't really positives.

It doesn't mean we are content to lose. It means we were glad we became competitive.

We weren't smashed the whole game. We dominated the inside game, they dominated the outside.

Point taken. You're right, there is a lot of negativity about the loss. Personally I thought Byrne was a huge positive along with Cripps.

I also thought the way we played in the 1st 3 qtrs was appalling. Basic skills were awful.

Hope the boys can take a bit of confidence into next week.

So many names out there I wouldn't have expected to still be on the list at this time a few years ago, we are really lacking development

Need to question if Mick is hurting the development of the side
Are you shitting me? Our ******* development was s**t before Mick even showed up at the club. It started with Pagan and disintegrated even more under Ratts. At least Mick is trying to sort out our development issues. We still have a number of players at the club who have been destroyed by our s**t development programs under Ratts.

Mick has spent the last 2 years weeding out most of the trash we got stuck with from the Ratten era and now we just need to get rid of a couple of dud assistant coaches and we should start seeing more improvement.

Back from the game and not at all disappointed. In my opinion they were actually in the game all day apart from poor kicking for goal versus good kicking for goal. In the 2nd quarter where the Dons pulled away it was 7 straight to 3.3, in the 3rd it was 4.2 to 2.5. These were basically the 2 quarters where it got away and it was not through lack of effort or having as much of the play as them.

Loved Cripps' game and also thought Murphy, Carrazzo, Walker, Everitt and Simpson were good. Byrne has some serious poise for an Irish first gamer.

Poor crowd but not surprising given how many have already given up on them. Too many errors when it mattered but a lot to like.

How was Jones's running?

This is what some Carlton people have become, virtually content with a loss

Not at all. We just wanted to see some heart. We saw some too late but it was there. The overwhelming feeling is that we are inconsistent as always but it could have been much worse.

It hurts because we know that decent kicking would have seen us win that game.

If asda or wada appeal and Essendope get suspended mid season what happens to the teams they've played wouldn't it be unfair on those them?
The AFL is going to seek postponements so that the current season isnt affected by any appeals.

So... technically, Essendon can go on and win a flag while playing with their current list and at the end of the year, have all the players from 2012 on their list banned... and they will keep the cup... like they did when they cheated to win in 1993. And the AFL will just fold like a soggy tissue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back