Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a disgraceful performance and the only reason it doesn't look as bad on the scoreboard is because the supplements started wearing off the Ess* players.

Bullshit. Why is it when teams come hard at us, it is a reflection on us, but when we come hard at another team excuses are made for them?

We got desperate and started to believe. Amazing thing confidence.

That was awful.

Quite possibly the lowest standard game I've seen us involved in.

Why do we stop after 1/4 time? I know we finished with a bit of run but the Bombers stopped entirely.

Positives.
Jones had a dip. Looked to run a bit more today, some good tackles and a couple of marks.
Cripps.
Byrne. If he'd come on at half time he might have made a bigger difference.
Doc.
Wood. not bad.
Carrots ok.
Zac pretty good.

Negatives.
Leaders non-existent bar Judd.
Yarran will get a month.

Happy with the performance after the start to the season. Cripps seemed to have a much better game today which was good to see, that shot on goal was terrible but such is life. Casboult's work rate sucks, I think he is to big at the moment and needs to shed some muscle next year.

I don't care if we lose every week as long as the players put in a solid performance and actually try to win for the whole game rather than throwing in the towel. Would like to see Bryne be given a full game and also Cripps deserves his spot in the side for next week.

Having Walker back in the side is great as well, second half was so/so but that's just lack of fitness. Not sure what Yarran was thinking, but he is gone for at least four weeks.

Not many people there.

I'm disappointed but not without hope like the previous two weeks.
They're not that good.
Cripps is our next Judd,so weare good on that level.
Byrne is very talented and has smarts.
2 quarters of footy,which is on the upward scale at least,
Army was good.
We aren't as hopeless as they think.

Bullshit. Why is it when teams come hard at us, it is a reflection on us, but when we come hard at another team excuses are made for them?

We got desperate and started to believe. Amazing thing confidence.

Its not entirely wrong. It could be a mixture of both. Carlton players see the Essendon players are tiring and decide to try a bit harder.

Or you could look at the last 3 weeks and look at the pattern of Essendon giving up 30 point leads. They got tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearances, run throught the middle, more players to get the ball and less to stop someone getting the ball
I liked Byrne - he took the game in, he made some mistakes but he setup a goal in my opinion
I loved Cripps - 22 possessions, 15 contested and 6 Inside 50's - I reckon that deserves a Rising Star Nomination

More Positives: the boys showed some heart at the end, two good quarters is better than 1, they even showed some aggression

Negatives: sure we kicked poorly, we got smashed after turnovers and Yarran didn't knock him out!

My biggest positive is that I actually enjoyed watching parts of that game
Any chance the post match discussion could focus on the positives and less on the negatives ?
I have tried to start us off by posting more positives then negatives

It was the basic skills errors that killed us today, nothing else. Poor kicking at goal or to a team-mate just made it near impossible to win this match. We had the best of the stats but it was hard to know where we were going to take them given we had all of our slow-paced mids in the team.

Tackling was good, Cripps was good, Byrne did some good things, Yarran's whack on Chapman was superb, overall, there was some decent things to finally hang our hat on. The final margin may have flattered us as the Druggies definitely ran out of legs but it was a credit to our players that they sensed the game was still there to be won even when they got out to 41-points in the last.

Bell's undisciplined effort to give away a 50m penalty was just dumb, this is the poor decision-making that I hate from him and which I believe will always hold him back from graduating to being a top-liner. Maybe he will mature ..... maybe ??

I really disliked Gibbs' game (don't start me on those pink boots either), Murphy was marginally better this week (I did see him addressing the whole team which was good) and Casboult did ......... well what did he do exactly ?? Jones..... nah, hasn't got it, never will.

Feel sorry for Wood, he tries hard but had to do it all by himself, the sooner Kreuzer comes back the better.

Looking forward to seeing some of the seconds players come into the team, especially Whiley, because they are the future for us, they are the players who I have genuine excitement & anticipation about.

We all expected to lose badly this week so it was admirable (ie. not embarrassing like in the past) of the players to fight it out and end up with a reasonably close margin.

Looking forward to seeing the newbies, the next draft & trade period and 2016 actually.

I'm done with MM as coach, still has good knowledge of the game to give but not as coach. But I think MM wouldn't what to do anything but be a head coach in AFL.

Really liked Cripps game today. He keeps his feet in a tackle, very hard to bring down, went up as a 3rd at boundary throw ins, and knows how to find space.

Ideally with Wood so dominant in the middle, you'd have Cripps and Juddy as the inside mids, and Murphy, Gibbs as the outside finishers.

You'd hope so anyway.

How many games does Jones get before Watson gets a go?

Watson carved Ess up in R22 and bagged six in an intra game.

What has Jones done?

Nothing personal against Jones, he may yet make it, but fairs fair and he hasn't set the world on fire at all. Some decent tacking and threw himself at some packs but at end of the day Mick says forwards need to kick goals and Jones is hardly threatening the Coleman medal now is he

I give it two more games if he doesn't have a break out game Watto will get a go

Only Cas being even less productive as a forward is keeping Jones in the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back