Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes Gibbo was sound against Port, but he's now had three average/poor games out of 4.

I think it's more the fact it's a really hard best 22 to fit everyone in, as much as people wanting to drop Gibson per se.

Whoever goes out (assuming LMac, Wells and JMac are fit and selected) are probably going to be slightly to very unlucky....
Up until this week he was top 3 in possessions, contested possessions and clearances at the club and is currently 2nd in average possessions, 5th in average clearances and 8th in average contested possessions. If he was to go he would be more unlucky than any other potential outs being bandied about on this forum.

I reckon this weekends game will be open like the port game in the sense that there will be flow and attack and Gibson's run will prove invaluable again.

Up until this week he was top 3 in possessions, contested possessions and clearances at the club and is currently 2nd in average possessions, 5th in average clearances and 8th in average contested possessions. If he was to go he would be more unlucky than any other potential outs being bandied about on this forum.

I reckon this weekends game will be open like the port game in the sense that there will be flow and attack and Gibson's run will prove invaluable again.
Is there a case for the reverse of Brad's comments re BMac? "I don't care how many times you get your own ball. If you can't kick it, you don't play for NM." Or similar.

As for the weekend's game, I suspect so BT. More open, but probably similar intensity.

His running can certainly be vital, just as his ball use and decision making at times can be very hurtful.

I think he definitely plays and has earned a few off games but then I do understand where people are coming from when listing him as an out. Possessions and stats only tell some of the story and Hawks will burn us if as a whole we don't clean up our disposal.

I agree with the start there ATG, but to reference 'fantasy scores' kinda diminishes your argument somewhat.

Champion data or Supercoach scores are relevant because CD measures the effectiveness of a player in a given game.

I always have my opinion on how someone plays before referring to the stats or the fantasy scores, however as Turner was subbed (and put up as a candidate to be dropped) some context is required.

Is there a case for the reverse of Brad's comments re BMac? "I don't care how many times you get your own ball. If you can't kick it, you don't play for NM." Or similar.
If there is half the team is in the gun after the weekends performance.
As for the weekend's game, I suspect so BT. More open, but probably similar intensity.
Yep. If not hotter. Repeat of the port game I reckon.

His running can certainly be vital, just as his ball use and decision making at times can be very hurtful.

I think he definitely plays and has earned a few off games but then I do understand where people are coming from when listing him as an out. Possessions and stats only tell some of the story and Hawks will burn us if as a whole we don't clean up our disposal.
They will also hurt us if we can't find outlets as the game progresses and we get locked in our defensive 50. Gibson's 'hurtful' moments are more than counterbalanced by his effect on our play when we are able to open up into space, which is something he is a key driver in. As I said, he has been our third best all round mid this year, errors included.

Tron, you remind me of the main character in "thank you for smoķing". I accept that I'm joffa in a suit when it comes to this argument, but please... enough of this vital, outlet garbage. It's crap.

He is a dead set liability. His kicking is disgraceful. And in addition to that he provides next to no defensive pressure or tackling.

If Wells is fit, he plays and no one deserves to be dropped but him.

Tron, you remind me of the main character in "thank you for smoķing". I accept that I'm joffa in a suit when it comes to this argument, but please... enough of this vital, outlet garbage. It's crap.

He is a dead set liability. His kicking is disgraceful. And in addition to that he provides next to no defensive pressure or tackling.

If Wells is fit, he plays and no one deserves to be dropped but him.
Pot kettle mate.

I can see his errors. I can see his faults. I can see what he does well and I can see what he brings to the team. You have repeatedly demonstrated your utter blindness to the importance of strategy, structure and role playing within that and focus on the what if's of younger players based on glimpses of how they go with ball in hand with little to no import given to the aforementioned key aspects of modern footy.

If you can't see what is right in front of you, then I can't help ya.

Anyways, lets let Gibbo talk go to Gibbo thread. The repetitiveness of this garbage has polluted too many threads already and will continue to do so until he is forced out of the team or retires, at which point you can then play the 'I told you so' card as much as you like.

Pot kettle mate.

I can see his errors. I can see his faults. I can see what he does well and I can see what he brings to the team. You have repeatedly demonstrated your utter blindness to the importance of strategy, structure and role playing within that and focus on the what if's of younger players based on glimpses of how they go with ball in hand with little to no import given to the aforementioned key aspects of modern footy.

If you can't see what is right in front of you, then I can't help ya.

Anyways, lets let Gibbo talk go to Gibbo thread. The repetitiveness of this garbage has polluted too many threads already and will continue to do so until he is forced out of the team or retires, at which point you can then play the 'I told you so' card as much as you like.
One of the worst things in this place is the 'l told you so'.

I think Gibbo is super important to the side, he never stops presenting. He probably just needs to take a leaf out of Spitta's book and give the ball to a better user when the opportunity presents, rather than going for the harder kick himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the worst things in this place is the 'l told you so'.

This case is different.

I know so, and now everyone is beginning to come round.

It's fine, the object of the discussion is not to be right, but to get better as a team.

When he plays well, credit is given.

But those really good games are aberrations imho.

So with all the drop Gibbo talk do we put Swallow in the same line of fire?

Swallow's kicking is dissapointing.

Exactly why we can't carry more than one outright butcher.
So we take the one who happens to win his own ball, tackle and break free of stoppages, oh and actually displays leadership qualities.

I might be the ill-informed one or something about football, but I'm going to back my guns here.

People who are asking for Gibson to be dropped, don't know football. He is not in the team to have the effectiveness of a Gary Ablett. Gibson plays within himself MOST of the time. At times it is called upon him where he has to try and hit a tough kick that we as supporters expect most players to hit. Yes he misses too many for some of us to handle, but he runs harder than pretty much anyone on the park. For all you Harper lovers, we could throw him in the same spot, when he gets it, he probably produces 2-3 kicks that absolutely break the game open, but as we've seen far too often, that's it. With Gibbo you absolutely know what you're going to get week in week out and that's work rate. He will be there for that outlet handball from defense, and he'll run to the next ball after he's disposed of it. Not only that but more often than not you oughta watch how hard Gibbo runs to follow up when he does make a mistake.

I'm not going to lie, there are times when I curse his name, for one on the weekend he should have given a handball late in the game to a running player when he instead kicked ineffectively, but generally Gibbo will play within himself and what he does for the team is invaluable. He encourages others to run by running himself. They have to follow his lead to be able to receive the footy. He doesn't stop. You go run 10 kilometers at your full capacity right now and I bet half of you would throw the towel in. Actually go run 10 kilometers at your full capacity and try and throw a tennis ball at a target and you probably can't even do that simple task. Gibbo is more than competent and if he gets dropped it's a disgrace. He sets a standard that other teams would crave. Look how hard Carlton run week in week out. Newsflash, they don't. Partly because of Gibbo, we do.

Yes Gibbo was sound against Port, but he's now had three average/poor games out of 4.

I think it's more the fact it's a really hard best 22 to fit everyone in, as much as people wanting to drop Gibson per se.

Whoever goes out (assuming LMac, Wells and JMac are fit and selected) are probably going to be slightly to very unlucky....

went alrite v brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back