So who is the most underrated player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Underrated in the Competition: Neville Jetta

Most Underrated by Team:

ADEL: Luke Lowden
BRIS: Dayne Zorko
CARL: Troy Menzel
COLL: Tim Broomhead
ESS: Brent Stanton
FREO: Garrick Ibbotson
GEEL: Rhys Stanley
GCFC: Charlie Dixon
GWS: Matt Buntine
HAW: Taylor Duryea
MELB: Neville Jetta
NM: Robin Nahas
PORT: Kane Mitchell
RICH: Bachar Houli
STK: Josh Bruce
SYD: Tom Mitchell
WCE: Scott Selwood
WB: Easton Wood

Neville Jetta will never get credit because he is very simple with what he does, but since the start of last year he hasnt lost a contest to a small forward

From my club Scott Thompson.

Leads the competition for average clearances and contested possessions this year by far as well as ranking 2nd in average disposals per game.
He's played 2 games.... and everyone knows who he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just because of the thread directly below this one but Blicavs I reckon. Multi positions. Enormous competitor. Runs everywhere and you can kick it to him knowing he'll give a contest. Plays within his skills but still keeps the ball moving. I'd love to have 4 of him. 1 forward, 1 back, 1 ruck, 1 on the bench to play a bit everywhere. In fact if combined with Hogan and Tom McDonald I'd be pretty happy with that spine.

You know who is one quality young player who you never hear any hype about? Devon Smith from GWS. Very consistent. Reminds me of Brent Harvey, with better defensive skills.

Really good call. There's probably a few at the Giants who don't receive the attention they deserve, although a few more games like today and that will change.

Has anybody mentioned Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd? (Another would be Liam Picken, but he's probably already bobbed up a few times.)

Both absolute professionals - hard at it, set a great example for young players coming through and still getting the job done week in, week out.

Lachie Neale is a flat track bully.

33 touches a game against West Coast, Melbourne and Essendon.
18 touches a game against Port, Geelong and Sydney.

Handy player, but he has been feasting on ordinary sides. Like mine.:mad:

Yeah nah. He actually had 24 and 22 disposals respectively against Geelong and Port, which is pretty good but its the 9 touch game against Sydney that brings that avg down and Lyon mentioned in one of the interviews that he was a bit crook in the Sydney game, so that explains the much lower output

He normally absolutely smashes port. 32, 34, 28 disposals in the three games against them last season. Way off on your FTB call there champ, look no further than your own JK if you want to label someone as that.

Yeah nah. He actually had 24 and 22 disposals respectively against Geelong and Port, which is pretty good but its the 9 touch game against Sydney that brings that avg down and Lyon mentioned in one of the interviews that he was a bit crook in the Sydney game, so that explains the much lower output

He normally absolutely smashes port. 32, 34, 28 disposals in the three games against them last season. Way off on your FTB call there champ, look no further than your own JK if you want to label someone as that.

Really? JK is a FTB? How have I missed that until now......

Getting 22 or 24 touches in a game isn't anything special. Sharrod Wellingham did that last week. Neale is a good player but the only reason he has been brought up ITT is because he's had a few big number games so far this season.

Shane Edwards, the Port Adelaide defenders, Isaac Smith, David Mundy (although he is getting his just recognition this year), Brad Ebert and a couple of the young GWS midfielders who are looking the goods for the future but don't get the hype - Lachie Whitfield and Stephen Coniglio (Treloar and Shiel get the hype).

Spending the past couple of weeks banned (although I was here in spirit with how many st kilda fans mentioned my name) I read a lot about how s**t Tory Dickson is and how people can't believe he is kicking goals against them.

He played just his 50th game on the weekend (mature recruit and has been injured in the past) and has kicked 30.8 this year. His total career output is 78 goals and 28 behinds.

This season he's kicked the same amount of goals as Tom Hawkins, Jeff Garlett and Pav. Only one less that a similar type of forward in Mark LeCras. He's kicked more goals than: Shaun Higgins, Michael Walters, Jamie Elliott, Drew Petrie, Jamie Cripps, Cyril Rioli.

He even kicked a bag of seven against one of the best defensive sides in the competition in Fremantle.

For a guy taken pick 57 in his draft he's been a great pickup. Certainly not the spud people claim he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back