Über

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I've used it once in Melbourne and once in Vienna. The bloke in Vienna had no idea where he was going even though we had the exact address, the Melbourne bloke was an ex-cabbie who drives for Uber in his spare time. He was very, very good, cheaper and cleaner than a taxi.

Rather than sooking, the taxi industry should bite the bullet and take it as a wake-up call to improve their service.

• Comes really quick.
This is the biggest one for me (other than being about 75% of the price of a cab) I don't think I've ever waited more than five minutes, other than one time I was so drunk I gave him the wrong address, he rang me and drove over to where I was without an issue.

The number of times I've called a taxi after twenty minutes of waiting and been told 'he came but you weren't there' when I'm standing in an area he obviously didn't even drive past is ridiculous.

It's the best, took a taxi once since its launched in Melbourne. Was a mistake.

The Taxi Control Board has squandered the benefit of their monopoly - the idea of an app and you don't have to * around with cash or cards is brilliant. The cars are always clean and the drivers don't act like you are a hinderance to their lives

The Taxi Control Board has squandered the benefit of their monopoly - the idea of an app and you don't have to **** around with cash or cards is brilliant. The cars are always clean and the drivers don't act like you are a hinderance to their lives
Also love being able to split the bill with other people in the cab all via the app. Just so convenient.

Rather than sooking, the taxi industry should bite the bullet and take it as a wake-up call to improve their service.
This. Idiots. Every day they whine about it is another chunk of their customer base they are losing. They need to get on board immediately.

Hey I saw you on the news

6410262-3x2-700x467.jpg

:rolleyes:

I don't even have a full driver's license (realise that doesn't preclude me from driving a taxi, but still).

Seriously though, I don't think Uber is that amazing or revolutionary that anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly endorse it "must be a taxi driver". Not saying it's bad, just don't really see the difference for myself. Maybe I just expect to get from A to B and nothing more, but as I said, in my experience, I've never had a problem with taxis, and an Uber trip on the routes I'd take doesn't work out to be cheaper than a taxi, either.

How does it work, safety wise?
In a taxi I can take a photo of the driver's registration so that I can report it if anything happens. What about Uber?

When you finish your ride, you get sent an email receipt outlining your trip, the cost, and who your driver was with a photo. However most people's concerns with it, or the taxi industry's concern with it, is that theres less regulation in terms of the drivers and their qualifications.

Having said that, I've never had any issues with it. It's always been clean cars, with very friendly drivers (not that cabbies aren't friendly), and its cheaper than the cabs in Melbourne especially at night. You are also able to get out as soon as your arrive and you don't have to worry about paying with cash or card as it is all done through the app.

I was going home one night with a few mates from a club with Uber and one of my friends ended up leaving his wallet in the car. The driver realised about 10 minutes later and came back straight away to give it back.

First trip lat night. Trip was 2/3 of the price of those dodgy swan taxi rip off campaigners.

Ordered using the app, literally turned up in 3 minutes. I nice, clean car, really nice driver, no stuffing around with payment at the end and watching them add surcharge after surcharge. And I got $25 off the fare!!!

Where has it been all my life.

Waiting now for the government to come in and f*** the service up the arse - just a matter of time.
Gotta love how all those swan taxi people protested against uber but it ended up making more people aware of uber haha

Why I hate Swan Taxis:

- Have to wait ages to even get through if youre calling, then wait even longer for the taxi to arrive
- Often they dont even turn up
- They sneakily add bullshit surcharges even if its outside peak periods. Add a stack on at the start of the trip and then another stack on at the end.
- They expect you to know the way to the destination even though they have a GPS just sitting there, and 'get lost' so you have to direct them back in the right direction.
- They take their sweat time getting you change as if its a monumental task to give you it, as if to encourage to give them tips cos you cant be bothered waiting.
- You can be waiting patiently at a cab line and they'll pick up people just down the road instead.
- Overwhelmingly they are poor, unsafe drivers - either way too slow or way too fast. I've frequently had cab drivers just drive in the middle of two lanes, talking on their mobile phones.
- Their cabs stink and are filthy.
- The drivers themselves stink
- Had several instances of the driver looking my fiance up and down as we drive along.
- You have to put up with all of the above and they are more expensive than Uber!!!!

F**k Swan Taxis. Hope Uber eats them up and they go to hell.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much much better than Swan and their shitful service and dodgy end of trip surcharges. Shame they are so booked out on Saturday nights, would have paid $65 for a trip that coast $90 with Swan (including a surcharge for being over $80 and a surcharge for using eftpos and probably another surcharge for god knows what)

Uber fantastic.

While I'm shilling for Uber I'll throw a bone in for AirBNB as well. It's like the uber of the hotel industry and is also totally amazing.
Yes, it certainly is.

We used it in both Christhchurch and Auckland and it was fantastic. And so much cheaper than what equivalent accommodation would have cost.

Much much better than Swan and their shitful service and dodgy end of trip surcharges. Shame they are so booked out on Saturday nights, would have paid $65 for a trip that coast $90 with Swan (including a surcharge for being over $80 and a surcharge for using eftpos and probably another surcharge for god knows what)

Uber fantastic.

A surcharge for being over $80? Oh cmon.

I ordered an Uber in the middle of bumphark nowhere (high wycombe) at 11pm Satruday night and it came in 4 minutes

All it will take is one unscrupulous driver to do something unsavoury.
This is the big issue that Uber will face. The taxi lobby is very very strong (much stronger than what people realise) and it will jump on any incident it can to discredit Uber.

Have used the service quite a few times and it's brilliant. Significantly better than using taxi's.

They get 80% of the fair. The other 20% goes to to uber
So they're better off than taxi drivers.

For those working as Uber drivers though, might want to check out your insurance. If your insurance is listed on the policy for private use only, that means that the insurance company is perfectly entitled to decline any claim made if the accident occurred whilst working for Uber.

The Taxi Control Board has squandered the benefit of their monopoly - the idea of an app and you don't have to **** around with cash or cards is brilliant. The cars are always clean and the drivers don't act like you are a hinderance to their lives
Yeah noticed this.

Had some taxi driver on Sunday morning whinging about how far my house was from his and how he wanted to get home. * me, what do you expect?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back