Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 6 minutes of highlights watch how many mitchell handballs lead to goals

Plus he hits parker by foot for his 5th

Only a sample of the game as well

That hit up on lead for Parker's 5th was a really nice pass. He had eyes for goals, lowered them, and full chested Parker without a defender near him.

Why do you think Punts despises Bird. All I have read him say and also agree with is Mitchell is far superior to Bird. That doesn't mean I despise Bird. Or love Mitchell. It is a mere statement of his opinion and obviously what is fact with the evidence in the last 3 weeks - as if there was a doubt.

And why is it ironic Bird is BOG in the NEAFL? The NEAFL is a third rate competition and AFL standard players should chew it up as Bird is doing and Mitchell has done.

That isn't some great coaching feat. It is just a normal outcome of skill deficiency in the lower competition when confronted with AFL trained competent players.

Who mentioned any great coaching feat ?

The irony is the outcry on this board when Mitchell was chewing it up in that same third rate competition and not being 'rewarded'. Seriously, the NEAFL is a training league for newbies, somewhere to gain match fitness and the best place to 'park' a senior player until they're needed while keeping them match fit.

As to Mitchell being 'far superior' to Bird. No. He's playing well but it took him 5 games to get the spot, so the coaching staff would disagree. Besides, they are different players who play different roles. Neither player is elite (JPK is and Parker is pretty damn close but those two are absolute guns). Mitchell's main advantage to the team is he's very good in & under and that allows Parker to go forward. That paid huge dividends on the weekend and, while that strategy works, I can't see why Horse wouldn't persist with Mitchell in the role. He appears to be doing exactly what's asked of him.

I did sleep badly but it wasn't you. Be prepared for crankiness.

Ok well i wont get into the fact mitchell is far superior to bird then, but punts may

Edit. Yup he did

Coaches votes

10 Parker
6 Franklin
6 Hannebery
4 Mitchell
3 Kennedy
1 Jetta

Only possible breakdown:
5 Parker, Parker
4 Franklin, Hannebery
3 Mitchell, Kennedy
2 Hannebery, Franklin
1 Jetta, Mitchell

This means that Longmire gave him at least 1 vote! Wonders will never cease.

tl;dr Horse likes Tom.

Coaches votes

10 Parker
6 Franklin
6 Hannebery
4 Mitchell
3 Kennedy
1 Jetta

Only possible breakdown:
5 Parker, Parker
4 Franklin, Hannebery
3 Mitchell, Kennedy
2 Hannebery, Franklin
1 Jetta, Mitchell

tl;dr Horse likes Tom.

BF pressure ?

Mitchell is FAR superior in every facet of AFL to Bird.

Mitchell has every chance to be one of the top 5 mids in the whole competition.

At the least he will be called elite at some stage, sooner rather than later.

Has an incalculably higher chance of winning the Brownlow than Bird.

The Coaches were wrong on leaving hm out for so long and dropping him after Richmond last year was criminal.

Irony. People really get that word wrong all the time. You could call it ironic.

Mitchell gets asked about by media and opposition fans all the time when in the ressies

Dont think they notice Bird is out

Mitchell got spoken up on on the couch

Though they called lewis leroy bloody jetta again

Mitchell gets asked about by media and opposition fans all the time when in the ressies

Dont think they notice Bird is out

Mitchell got spoken up on on the couch

Though they called lewis leroy bloody jetta again

Jetta should wear a name badge.......Seriously.

Poor Bird, I really like him. Gets every shred of talent out of his body. At 26 should be entering the prime of his career. Hope he can find a niche somewhere in the side. I can't find a place at the moment with our full list to pick from.

Mitchell is FAR superior in every facet of AFL to Bird.

Mitchell has every chance to be one of the top 5 mids in the whole competition.

At the least he will be called elite at some stage, sooner rather than later.

Has an incalculably higher chance of winning the Brownlow than Bird.

The Coaches were wrong on leaving hm out for so long and dropping him after Richmond last year was criminal.

Irony. People really get that word wrong all the time. You could call it ironic.

Bold opinions, wishful thinking, some exaggeration, a couple of uses of hyperbole and an valiant attempt to explain irony to me. Well done. Obviously I needed the English lesson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jetta should wear a name badge.......Seriously.

Poor Bird, I really like him. Gets every shred of talent out of his body. At 26 should be entering the prime of his career. Hope he can find a niche somewhere in the side. I can't find a place at the moment with our full list to pick from.

I've stated previously that I think there'll be plenty of rotation of players this year. The midfield in particular will see players in and out as we seek to build up a solid core of depth. The 22 players in best physical condition who also match up best will be played on any given day. It's a good position to be in when someone like Bird is hitting the ceiling in the reserves. Add a bunch of other names to the list too.

tl;dr Horse likes Tom.

I think he always did. I always thought they were just being extra cautious and wanted him to build up his fitness base so he could play full games in the midfield. We all saw what he could do in 2013 until he (like Tippett) got injured in the semi final against Carltank. It was the reason I didn't buy into the trade rumours last year.

Oh and I still like Bird, but someone had to make way.

Its a long season, Bird will still have a role to play at some stage, but currently isn't best 22, he is a very very good depth player though

Bold opinions, wishful thinking, some exaggeration, a couple of uses of hyperbole and an valiant attempt to explain irony to me. Well done. Obviously I needed the English lesson.
No. None of that except the last thing.

Coaches votes

10 Parker
6 Franklin
6 Hannebery
4 Mitchell
3 Kennedy
1 Jetta

Only possible breakdown:
5 Parker, Parker
4 Franklin, Hannebery
3 Mitchell, Kennedy
2 Hannebery, Franklin
1 Jetta, Mitchell

tl;dr Horse likes Tom.

Long time lurker account here - really hoped my first post might have more significance. But no, 2yrs of lurking has amounted to this... an alternate coaching vote set to perpetuate the Horse hates Titch myth....
Chris Scott: Parker, Mitchell, Hanners, Franklin, Kennedy
Horse: Parker, Franklin, Hanners, Kennedy, Jetta.

I've stated previously that I think there'll be plenty of rotation of players this year. The midfield in particular will see players in and out as we seek to build up a solid core of depth. The 22 players in best physical condition who also match up best will be played on any given day. It's a good position to be in when someone like Bird is hitting the ceiling in the reserves. Add a bunch of other names to the list too.

Dunno why you think this. Why would he start this season?

Horse picks the 22 he likes and barring injury runs with it. I cannot recall a legitimate time he has rested a player. Never done it.

If fit he plays them. Depth is not there anyway. Only Bird has significant AFL time. Rest are a laugh a minute ruck, an 18 year old, a ranga with 4 games and an out of form Harry. Would hardly strike fear in oppositions. And we saw what happened in 2013 of course when depth was challenged.

Nice optimism. Doesn't coincide with reality. Potential is nice but see Waite for what that gives.

And given how even the comp is and how it is to get the 4 points I am very happy for current policy to continue without moving chess pieces for the sake of it. They are professional athletes after all.

Dunno why you think this. Why would he start this season?

Horse picks the 22 he likes and barring injury runs with it. I cannot recall a legitimate time he has rested a player. Never done it.

If fit he plays them. Depth is not there anyway. Only Bird has significant AFL time. Rest are a laugh a minute ruck, an 18 year old, a ranga with 4 games and an out of form Harry. Would hardly strike fear in oppositions. And we saw what happened in 2013 of course when depth was challenged.

Nice optimism. Doesn't coincide with reality. Potential is nice but see Waite for what that gives.

And given how even the comp is and how it is to get the 4 points I am very happy for current policy to continue without moving chess pieces for the sake of it. They are professional athletes after all.

I'm optimistic ? So injuries come and we have no-one to fill in AFL ready as we've bet the entire house on number 22 ? I'm talking about rotating to develop depth not necessarily to rest players, besides, as you say, we've never had the depth to do it before. Horse knows that a serious tilt at the premiership begins long before the event. Cattle are key. If we don't have the depth he'll work to develop it. 2013 & 2014 it bit us in the butt simply because we hadn't developed the depth we needed to hit the finals with i) a physically fit team and ii) a selection of players to choose from. He hasn't done it much before as injuries forced our hand anyway. Barring injuries I think we'll see some rotations.

We can agree to disagree if it helps.

Long time lurker account here - really hoped my first post might have more significance. But no, 2yrs of lurking has amounted to this... an alternate coaching vote set to perpetuate the Horse hates Titch myth....
Thanks Birdy, hope to see you back soon.

Good post mate. The real myth is that Horse should be compelled to put Mitchell in his top 5 because BF says so. If they were genuinely his votes I'd say it's hard to argue that those five didn't have a big influence on the game. Sure Mitchell 'could have' been in the votes. Plenty of shining lights in that game.

I'm optimistic ? So injuries come and we have no-one to fill in AFL ready as we've bet the entire house on number 22 ? I'm talking about rotating to develop depth not necessarily to rest players, besides, as you say, we've never had the depth to do it before. Horse knows that a serious tilt at the premiership begins long before the event. Cattle are key. If we don't have the depth he'll work to develop it. 2013 & 2014 it bit us in the butt simply because we hadn't developed the depth we needed to hit the finals with i) a physically fit team and ii) a selection of players to choose from. He hasn't done it much before as injuries forced our hand anyway. Barring injuries I think we'll see some rotations.

We can agree to disagree if it helps.

But you have been wanting to keep a 35 year old in the team? And you are demanding people show ethereal "things" to the coaches who demand they work on these "things" in the NEAFL and bash a door down to get a spot before they are played. Because, like what happened to the namesake of this thread, that was good and smart coaching.

So we play ageing and half broken player(s) yet make sure NEAFL players demand a spot and do all this stuff the coaches want first BUT at the same time blood youth, or something, to improve depth whilst still trying to win games rotating a midfield, and other positions I presume, that are misfiring more than firing.

If you/they/whatever are not going to play Mitchell after what he was doing, appearing quite sanguine he was in the NEAFL to work on "things", and then drop him after he stars in a senior game how is anyone else going to get a crack?

Just trying to reconcile all of your thoughts. None of it is making any sense at all to me.

I can't see how it is going to all work in the framework of a season that a few unexpected (see Western Bulldogs game or Port as a club as a case in point) losses can jeopardise not just a home final but a top 4 spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back